UK Embassy Income letter - FYI

3 hours ago, Mattd said:

I do not use Hotmail (Outlook) as personal email, however, found this link which seems to explain how to alter the way it handles attachments.

https://uit.stanford.edu/service/office365/online-and-onedrive/disable

Thanks for that. Although I got a different menu to that shown in your link, clicking options at the bottom got me to where I needed to be. Hopefully that will put it back to the way it was.

Any chance you can come up with some way to disable Skype from Outlook, that is more of a headache.

" Yesterday I tried to send the request for an income letter to the FCO email address "

I was not aware that you can get an income letter via email .

For what Embassy is this referring to ?  

what or who is 'FCO'   and can you please let me know the email address.

Your response would be much appreciated

6 minutes ago, rocketman777 said:

" Yesterday I tried to send the request for an income letter to the FCO email address "

I was not aware that you can get an income letter via email .

For what Embassy is this referring to ?  

what or who is 'FCO'   and can you please let me know the email address.

Your response would be much appreciated

Embassy = UK Embassy (see thread title)

FCO = Foreign and Commonwealth Office (the ministry managing embassies)

email address and other contact details, see https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/631665/Attachment_2.pdf

3 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Useful info.

I've normally done mine by post.

Thanks

You will still have to if payment by bank draft is your only payment option.

Only if you can make payment by card authorization can you take the email option.

When I phoned the UK embassy in Bangkok to ask about a verification of income letter, in connection with marriage / retirement extensions, I was told I had to attend in person with a prior appointment.

Is this 'income letter' something different?

32 minutes ago, Tofer said:

When I phoned the UK embassy in Bangkok to ask about a verification of income letter, in connection with marriage / retirement extensions, I was told I had to attend in person with a prior appointment.

Is this 'income letter' something different?

Sigh! It seems you spoke with someone at the embassy who does not know the current rules. A couple of years ago, that was the correct procedure. Now, you cannot do it in person, only by mail (and apparently very recently email).

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Sigh! It seems you spoke with someone at the embassy who does not know the current rules. A couple of years ago, that was the correct procedure. Now, you cannot do it in person, only by mail (and apparently very recently email).

Thanks for the clarification.

52 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Outlook comes up as standard but I don't know what button to hit for 'Send.'

I assume that you want to 'Save' the changes once you have set Outlook to attach as a copy.  It appears that once you have selected what functions you want, it automatically saves those setting... You just need to click on the Options arrow at the top left to return to your Outlook page.

Hope that's what you want to know.

Outlook.jpg

On 9/29/2017 at 9:23 AM, sandyf said:

Just a heads up for anyone using a 'Hotmail' or I assume any MSN email account.

Yesterday I tried to send the request for an income letter to the FCO email address and I got an email back asking that I send the documents as attachments as they could not open the link provided. It took me a few minutes to follow what they were trying to say as I had sent the info as an attachment.

I then remembered that a few months back that Outlook(Hotmail) had altered the way it handles attachments and now uses OneDrive, it would appear that the security settings on the embassy website will not allow access to OneDrive.

I had to send the documents from another email account.

Income letter arrived about mid day today, less than 48 hours start to finish. I can whinge about the cost but certainly not the service.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ripstanley said:

It is called the Public Service and not unique to the Brits.

Then what is the point of them?  They are supposed to be there to represent British interests and assist UK citizens when necessary.  No wonder the UK is fxxed up  if this is the quality of public servants.  

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Then what is the point of them?  

I classify that as a non-rhetorical question.

Your expectations of what the British Embassy is there for is a figment of your imagination  -  based on what we have seen in films and probably propaganda in the UK.

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Is this solely a Hotmail/MSN issue, or might it also affect other email providers (e.g. Gmail)?

I've not tried with the embassy, but gmail business does seem to have started "sometimes" linking attachments to Google drive (Odd as drive is apparently history next year).

I have no such problems with my MSN account, so must be your settings. Last month emailed the British embassy with the relevant documents attached and had the formal letter delivered by EMS 3 days later.  1st time in decades I have had anything so quick and trouble free from any embassy.

1 minute ago, Esso49 said:

I have no such problems with my MSN account, so must be your settings. Last month emailed the British embassy with the relevant documents attached and had the formal letter delivered by EMS 3 days later.  1st time in decades I have had anything so quick and trouble free from any embassy.

You must have contacted the one person there who knew what they were doing and could be arsed to do something positive, well  done.  

On 9/29/2017 at 9:23 AM, sandyf said:

Just a heads up for anyone using a 'Hotmail' or I assume any MSN email account.

Yesterday I tried to send the request for an income letter to the FCO email address and I got an email back asking that I send the documents as attachments as they could not open the link provided. It took me a few minutes to follow what they were trying to say as I had sent the info as an attachment.

I then remembered that a few months back that Outlook(Hotmail) had altered the way it handles attachments and now uses OneDrive, it would appear that the security settings on the embassy website will not allow access to OneDrive.

I had to send the documents from another email account.

Put them in a zip file and send that.

10 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Put them in a zip file and send that.

I think that would make it more complicated and perhaps not be accepted.

I would complete the application form and have that as one file and then then the supporting documents in another file. Best to send them as PDF files.

18 hours ago, Esso49 said:

You are quite right it is a settings issue as pointed out in about the 3rd post in this thread. Outlook(Hotmail) changed my attachment settings to Onedrive without any notification or indication that it could be disabled. Following the fiasco over Skype I assumed it was another fixed change and thank the poster for information on how to disable. I have now altered the settings so hopefully the problem should never arise again. Others may find themselves in the same position that I was.

For other posters, using zip or pdf files would not make any difference as any kind of file sent via Onedrive would be rejected by the embassy server.

21 hours ago, OJAS said:

Is this solely a Hotmail/MSN issue, or might it also affect other email providers (e.g. Gmail)?

That is a possibility. I have a Gmail account and do use use Google drive but I have never sent an attachment with Gmail so not sure if it would be linked to the drive or not.

There is every chance that it may be like Hotmail and that you can choose how to handle attachments.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

That is a possibility. I have a Gmail account and do use use Google drive but I have never sent an attachment with Gmail so not sure if it would be linked to the drive or not.

I have sent many attachments with my gmail account and they have not been linked to Google drive. Same for the ones sent to me by other gmail users.