Advice sought on UK passport renewal for those living in Thailand

15 minutes ago, Carlosm said:

Who was the agent ?

I don't want to run into problems with rules that apply here about advertising etc so will send you a personal message will have to look it up as haven't noticed it for a while he is English and operated out of Pattaya advice and service excellent

Question as it is UK Passport related...  up to a point I thought I would have 3 - 4 years left for yearly extension,  [2 pages with 2 yearly stamps on each]  Dec last Immigration  stamp was placed in the middle of the page !! if they do the same again this Dec, then the Passport is full..

As I understand 'New' British Passports will not be printed until 2019... Question if I have to get a new Passport next year it will be the red UK - EU Passport........ + can that be used for another 9 years after we are out of the EU ?  

13 hours ago, Oxx said:

Given that they send probably dozens of passports from the UK to Bangkok daily, why can't they put them in the same package and charge a fraction of the current courier fee? Is there a single functioning brain at the FCO?

Some me very good brains, they must be making a fortune out of it. ?

7 minutes ago, ignis said:

Question as it is UK Passport related...  up to a point I thought I would have 3 - 4 years left for yearly extension,  [2 pages with 2 yearly stamps on each]  Dec last Immigration  stamp was placed in the middle of the page !! if they do the same again this Dec, then the Passport is full..

As I understand 'New' British Passports will not be printed until 2019... Question if I have to get a new Passport next year it will be the red UK - EU Passport........ + can that be used for another 9 years after we are out of the EU ?  

Nobody can can answer that yet, but the answer is obviously "yes". The deal is not done yet so I imagine EU red passports for the foreseeable.

There will no doubt be a transition period as millions are affected by it.

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I wrote to the office to ask if there was a solution and received this reply with several errors in grammar, including the use of 'correction' instead of 'collection' and a change of font along the way. A perfect indication of the level to which the UK has sunk.

If you are not available you can send your application and all supporting documents through the 3rd party for apply on your behalf. However, the responsibility to ensure completeness and correctness of all application documents remains with the applicant. Incomplete applications will not be accepted for processing

For correction passport you can authorize someone to collect on your behalf by provide a receipt document, your old passport and authority letter for collection. You can come on Monday-Friday at 09.00-15.00 hours. No need to book appointment.

Doesn't apply to Thailand although there is a 'company' offering to do it on your behalf and charging 5K Baht, not sure how legal this is.

1 hour ago, DGS1244 said:

Doesn't apply to Thailand although there is a 'company' offering to do it on your behalf and charging 5K Baht, not sure how legal this is.

Thanks. I've had a couple of PMs offering info on such companies. I imagine that kind of thing is above board, and no doubt these companies do need you to sign an authorisation letter. But for 5000 I might as well spend that on having a couple of days in Bangkok.

It's just a nuisance and a backward step from the days when applications went via Hong Kong and your new passport was sent to your address by courier. Now you need to be interviewed even for the formality of renewing a filled passport ,and no courier service is available. Except for the rip-off charge for the sending of your passport from London to Bangkok. They charge everyone the full fee for that, even though they may dispatch 50 at the same time for the cost of one. Nice earner.

19 hours ago, Oxx said:

Given that they send probably dozens of passports from the UK to Bangkok daily, why can't they put them in the same package and charge a fraction of the current courier fee? Is there a single functioning brain at the FCO?

I believe they already do it that way an make a profit

1 hour ago, Maybole said:

Is it still possible to renew on line and have it sent to relative's address in  UK to be sent on? Registered post from UK is much cheaper than a courier.

The UKGov website says that everyone in Thailand who wants a new passport for whatever reason has to attend an interview in Bangkok. I doubt there is an option to send your new passport to an address in the UK when you are in Thailand :smile:. They have zero interest in saving you money, only making it for themselves. You could always ask at your interview, but I can guess the answer, can't you?

4 hours ago, Maybole said:

Is it still possible to renew on line and have it sent to relative's address in  UK to be sent on? Registered post from UK is much cheaper than a courier.

Hi Maybole, No doing it online can only be done if you are living in the UK, not allowed to submit the application online if you are living abroad.

If you send the application to someone in the UK to do for you.

You have to send your old passport with the application for them to cut the corner off to invalidate it.

But remember this, that it is illegal in Thailand not to have your passport with at all times for ID purposes, so you are taking a very big risk.

Edited by barnsleyman
to add more information
2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The UKGov website says that everyone in Thailand who wants a new passport for whatever reason has to attend an interview in Bangkok. I doubt there is an option to send your new passport to an address in the UK when you are in Thailand :smile:. They have zero interest in saving you money, only making it for themselves. You could always ask at your interview, but I can guess the answer, can't you?

Barry, there is no such thing as "an interview"...... the appointment is simply to submit the application paperwork via VfS.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Okay. Strange then that you have to arrange a date and time just to present the form.

If if you just bowl up I imagine you will be OK......the appointment simply ensures that you definitely be able to submit your paperwork at that time and date that suits you.

VfS are literally just handling agents 

On 9/29/2017 at 12:50 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I wrote to the office to ask if there was a solution and received this reply with several errors in grammar, including the use of 'correction' instead of 'collection' and a change of font along the way. A perfect indication of the level to which the UK has sunk.

If you are not available you can send your application and all supporting documents through the 3rd party for apply on your behalf. However, the responsibility to ensure completeness and correctness of all application documents remains with the applicant. Incomplete applications will not be accepted for processing

For correction passport you can authorize someone to collect on your behalf by provide a receipt document, your old passport and authority letter for collection. You can come on Monday-Friday at 09.00-15.00 hours. No need to book appointment.

Did this pathetic reply originate from HMPO in the UK, Barry, or from the "With-It Tower Mob" in Bangkok?

If the latter, then the basic grammatical errors to which you refer make me extremely fearful about the possibility of HMPO inflicting a further "improvement" in the dreaded "With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience" on us through the introduction of a requirement for the provision of certified translations into Thai of completed application forms and all related supporting documents, solely for the convenience of locally-employed "With-It Tower Mobsters" with a minimal grasp of the English language.:crazy:

6 hours ago, OJAS said:

Did this pathetic reply originate from HMPO in the UK, Barry, or from the "With-It Tower Mob" in Bangkok?

If the latter, then the basic grammatical errors to which you refer make me extremely fearful about the possibility of HMPO inflicting a further "improvement" in the dreaded "With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience" on us through the introduction of a requirement for the provision of certified translations into Thai of completed application forms and all related supporting documents, solely for the convenience of locally-employed "With-It Tower Mobsters" with a minimal grasp of the English language.:crazy:

Bangkok.

17 hours ago, barnsleyman said:

Hi Maybole, No doing it online can only be done if you are living in the UK, not allowed to submit the application online if you are living abroad.

You have to send your old passport with the application for them to cut the corner off to invalidate it.

But remember this, that it is illegal in Thailand not to have your passport with at all times for ID purposes, so you are taking a very big risk.

In 25 years i have never ever had to produce my passport to any govt official ,my driving licence says it all

17 hours ago, barnsleyman said:

Not wishing to be contrary but I have waited over 5 years for an answer to my question about EXACTLY WHERE does it state that it i "illegal" not to have your passport with you at all times. The British embassy could not provide me with the legal reference point not could HMPO.

I will still be waiting in 5 years time because it is not illegal. It is a common practice and you are required to produce your passport if called upon to do so by a responsible officer.

The more relevant point about trying to apply in the UK, when living in Thailand, is that they may consider it strange that your passport bears no exit stamp and clearly evidences that you are still in Thailand.

59 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Not wishing to be contrary but I have waited over 5 years for an answer to my question about EXACTLY WHERE does it state that it i "illegal" not to have your passport with you at all times. The British embassy could not provide me with the legal reference point not could HMPO.

I will still be waiting in 5 years time because it is not illegal. It is a common practice and you are required to produce your passport if called upon to do so by a responsible officer.

The more relevant point about trying to apply in the UK, when living in Thailand, is that they may consider it strange that your passport bears no exit stamp and clearly evidences that you are still in Thailand.

With regards to having passport on your person, a fairly recent court case, which I will not go into, the judges affirmed that bieng unable to present a passport is sufficient grounds for the police to suspect illegal immigration , and immediately arrest at sight without an arrest warrant

Edited by rockingrobin
2 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

With regards to having passport on your person, a fairly recent court case, which I will not go into, the judges affirmed that bieng unable to present a passport is sufficient grounds for the police to suspect illegal immigration , and immediately arrest at sight without an arrest warrant

Still does not make it a "legal requirement" to carry a passport.

Mine stays in my safe and I continue to carry a copy in my wallet I also have copies of my permission to stay and TM6.

• Like 1
On 9/29/2017 at 3:17 PM, Oxx said:

The initial 4 hours wait wasn't too bad.  Went to the V&A.  But the second 4 hours was all in short-ish bursts of waiting, and was spent in the Weatherspoons at Victoria Station downing a pint or two too many.

Of course, no apology for the atrocious service.

Did you apologize for your beer breath?

Maybe London was your only choice of venue (convenient for Weathespoons anyway) but like most services offered in capital cities, they are busy as all buggery so your inaccurate submission was just one thing that led to another (just like the beer).

A friend of mine who lives in Lancaster had the obvious option for Liverpool and (I think) Manchester for his same-day passport renewal service. Guessing they would be busy (and the chore of parking), he did a bit of googling and selected the Darlington office. Bit of a longer drive and not too scenic in early winter, but he was in and out in way less than 3 hours and only saw one other applicant the whole time.

• Like 1
On 9/29/2017 at 6:48 PM, Oxx said:

Yes, let's save money and put ALL the weeks passports ALL in the same package.

If only courier services were 101% bulletproof and never, ever lost other people's sh!t.

On 9/30/2017 at 10:12 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I also posted this subject to my friends on Facebook, and a Finn that I know told me that in her country you simply go to your local police station with your old passport and some photos, get fingerprinted and a couple of weeks later you pick up your new passport. Isn't that wonderful.

Finland is hard pushed to amass a total population of 5 and half mill.

They also don't have as prodigious a diaspora as Britain.

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe London was your only choice of venue (convenient for Weathespoons anyway) but like most services offered in capital cities, they are busy as all buggery so your inaccurate submission was just one thing that led to another (just like the beer).

A friend of mine who lives in Lancaster had the obvious option for Liverpool and (I think) Manchester for his same-day passport renewal service. Guessing they would be busy (and the chore of parking), he did a bit of googling and selected the Darlington office. Bit of a longer drive and not too scenic in early winter, but he was in and out in way less than 3 hours and only saw one other applicant the whole time.

"Darlington not too scenic in early winter"

Definitely the award for the understatement of the day... ? .... I award you a like for that.

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe London was your only choice of venue (convenient for Weathespoons anyway) but like most services offered in capital cities, they are busy as all buggery so your inaccurate submission was just one thing that led to another (just like the beer)

My god, you really are an obnoxious piece of work, aren't you.

If my application had been processed in the 4 hour period I paid a premium for, there would have been no beer involved.

And there was nothing inaccurate about my submission, so stop fantasising.

• Like 2
On 9/30/2017 at 10:21 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Now you need to be interviewed even for the formality of renewing a filled passport ,and no courier service is available. Except for the rip-off charge for the sending of your passport from London to Bangkok.

Interviewed?

The VFS staff cross-check your application, then you get to check their check-list and if all agreed, you countersign it and you get a copy and tracking number so you can watch your rip-off fee being spent. You even get to see them sticking it into it's single, unique DHL shipping envelope for which you pay £23.01 which is about a quarter of the actual total, two-way, individual DHL document courier rate.

But nobody interviews anyone.

• Like 1
On 9/30/2017 at 7:25 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Okay. Strange then that you have to arrange a date and time just to present the form.

Because it's surprisingly busy (unlike Finland) and you have absolutely no idea how many 'Buster Bloodvessel' types they're going to get who've made the trip all the way from Nakhon Nowhere and suddenly realize they left their right-front cerebral cortex on the nightstand along with their old passport. Oh yes, a couple of those headless chooks flapping around the 6-desk 'interview room' and who knows how long the delay is going to be.