'Stupid' Wales hooker misses Cheetahs match after lion bite

rooster59

'Stupid' Wales hooker misses Cheetahs match after lion bite

BLOEMFONTEIN (Reuters) - Wales hooker Scott Baldwin was bitten on the hand while trying to pet a lion in South Africa, causing him to miss Ospreys' defeat to the Cheetahs in their PRO-14 match on Friday.

Baldwin, 29, was described as "stupid" by Ospreys coach Steve Tandy after suffering the wound, which needed stitches, during a pre-match visit to a game park.

"There was an incident with a lion, but in fairness it was nothing to do with the lion. He did bite Scott but when you put your hand in a fence where there is a lion, then you will get bitten," Tandy told reporters after Friday's match.

"It was pretty stupid on Scott's behalf and he is pretty lucky... I don't know what sort of wildlife show Scott has been watching where you can pat a lion on the head as if it's a kitten.

"It's probably one of the silliest things I've even been involved in, but thankfully he is okay and hopefully he will be back up and running in the next couple of weeks."

The club confirmed in a statement that Baldwin had suffered the injury on Wednesday and said he had been treated at the scene by the team doctor before being admitted to a local hospital in Bloemfontein on Thursday for further treatment to prevent infection.

He will be released on Saturday morning to travel home with the rest of the squad as planned, Ospreys said. The Cheetahs beat the Ospreys 44-25 in Friday’s clash at the Free State Stadium.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-30

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

I thought it was an Animal planet thing: Wales, lions, cheetahs, ospreys...

You are not alone!   And I couldn't figure out what difference it makes if a hooker is missing something!

13 hours ago, Scott said:

You are not alone!   And I couldn't figure out what difference it makes if a hooker is missing something!

A rugby union or rugby league hooker (position number 2 and 9 respectively) "hooks" the ball backwards in the scrum with his foot. Now it's not hard to imagine how that position gets it's name. The French call it "taloner" which sounds more aggressive somehow.

Edited by Baerboxer

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

A rugby union or rugby league hooker (position number 2 and 9 respectively) "hooks" the ball backwards in the scrum with his foot. Now it's not hard to imagine how that position gets it's name. The French call it "taloner" which sounds more aggressive somehow.

Thanks for the info.  I think the entire headline was confusing to some of us who aren't an enthusiast, but it was confusing in a humorous way!  

1 minute ago, Scott said:

Thanks for the info.  I think the entire headline was confusing to some of us who aren't an enthusiast, but it was confusing in a humorous way!  

In the Welsh press sites, most people were commenting he must be dumber than dumb. But there were some who defended him. Some said it was Tandy, the coach's fault as he was the leader and didn't supervise him closely enough - and they were serious!! Other said his team mates told him to do it!!

The sad decline of Welsh rugby :-)

16 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Now here I was thinking the 'Leege' part of the Rugby family were the dopey ones... the again, he's a forward I suppose, so there you go.

Just cracks me up every time I hear one of the Rah Rah crowd doing something, errr, 'League-y', or as League is referred to in Oz, 'MungoBall'

Because as we all know, a Rah Rah acting like a league-y is just not cricket, what what hey hey?