Poll: Thais support Prayut’s trip to Washington

webfact

By The Nation

cd3a7ba1a050fd697458618f5725ebb3.jpg

Most people approve of Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha’s visit to the White House, seeing it as an opportunity to strengthen Thailand’s diplomatic ties with the United States and for the administration to update itself on global trends, according to a Suan Dusit Poll released on Sunday.

Of 1,113 people polled nationwide, 70 per cent thought the meeting could help improve Thailand-US relations, 66 per cent thought it was a good chance to meet with the US President Donald Trump, and 65 per cent thought it could help enhance Thailand’s international credibility.

Asked what Thailand might gain from the visit, almost 73 per cent said it could help the Thai delegation exchange and absorb new information. About 70 per cent of respondents thought it could help strengthen bilateral ties, almost 66 per cent said it could help stimulate the economy and more than 62 per cent said it could be Thailand’s opportunity to explain its domestic situation.

Asked what they would say to the premier ahead of the visit, almost 69 per cent cheered Prayut on to do his best. About 61 per cent hoped Prayut would be a good representative of the Kingdom and 59 per cent said the premier should keep in mind that any deals made should prioritise national benefits.

The poll was conducted from September 26-30.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30328173

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-02

Prayut will be pressured in doing what Washington wants him to do, as he need not ask for permission from anyone.  Having an autocrat in a meeting means that he can be put on the spot rather easily, forced to make decisions then and there.  Elected leaders have more leeway in negotiations, as they need to deal with other elected officials and an electorate.  Don't think it will be rosy. 

The main issue is Prayut wanting to look legit in the eyes of Thais.  Trump will grant that, as he has for Turkey's Erdogan and Fil's Duterte - though both those men were elected.  Trump has zero concern for humanitarian issues.

Within an hour of militarily taking over the Thai gov't, Prayut should have announced a new cycle of national elections in 10 months hence - and stuck with it.   Instead, he and his military buddies are committing to big ticket items (mostly with China) which will saddle Thais with crippling debt for the next 60 years.

Probably a multiple choice tickbox poll (which begs the question what were the options) with a very selective poll base.

Pollster: So what do you think Thailand might gain from Prayut's visit to the Whitehouse?

Tuk-tuk driver: Well, obviously, it could strengthen bilateral ties. 

Pollster: Anything else?

Tuk-tuk driver:  Now let me think ... it could help the Thai delegation exchange and absorb new information.

Nearby somtam woman: No, no, no, I just have to disagree, much more important is the opportunity to stimulate the economy and explain our domestic situation.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha will represent Thailand at the White house in a meeting with the US president Donald Trump.imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32

I am sure you mean that the silly little general will represent himself and his co-conspirators, whilst misrepresenting the Thai people?

As for the poll: "The poll was conducted from September 26-30." and the results were decided delivered on the 25th September!

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Does it really matter what ‘Thais’ support? This isn’t a democracy. 

Where is? The US??

Prayut will walk the tightrope well. After Tillerson broke US law by offering him arms, Prayut has another ace up his sleeve to parry the Clown-in Chief's stupidity. We can all see the US is finished, so he'll console the beast, feed it tit-bits and come home with an "aid package" he'll never have to pay back.   

Wait till they find out how much the trip will cost them then they will change there mind But they are never told that minor detail. Notice the Deputy P.M had a nice suiet on Must of bought  it at Harrods on the junket trip he went to England last month

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Single or return?

If the Thai are blocking the international airports in Thailand it won't be a return...

I guess it's only Thai support that really matters, in Thailand, since we poor farangs don't get to vote.

Regarding their poll-demonstrated support for Prayuth's US visit, since, in my view, that will prove to be an empty gesture, with little if any security or trade benefits, I, like most of you, tend towards a 'who gives a-shit' reaction to the question.

More meaningful to me are the ways that Thais support - or fail to support - initiatives that might make a REAL and immediate difference to their lives. They, like we, know what Thailand's major ills are; lousy education levels (54th out of 70 measured nations), poor crime and corruption levels, poor regard for healthy life-style management (2nd worst overweight and obesity levels, across S E Asia), little if any attempt made to lift the country from its present record as the world's deadliest country for road and traffic deaths and I could go on, at risk of further getting off-topic.

The on-topic point that I'm trying to make is that, judging from the above sorry picture, Thais attach so little importance to lifting a finger towards improving their lives and their country, just what does it matter what percentage of support they award to the 3 pool questions asked? They and the Junta need, somehow, to get their act together, if they are to have anything worthy of their support in the future.

I've participated in a few polls in Asia.  Usually it's students in a group who stop me on a sidewalk to ask questions.   The students are darling, of course, but that's not the issue.

If it's a questionnaire about the tourist town we're in, the questions will be variations of cheery benign things.  For example,  'Do you like Thai food?'   A.very much   B. yes   C. it's ok.

or; What would you recommend to increase number of tourists?

A. more trips to temples    B. more museums   C. a trip to a park.

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha will represent Thailand at the White house in a meeting with the US president Donald Trump.imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32

Full marks for stating the bleeding obvious!

3 hours ago, nausea said:

Probably a multiple choice tickbox poll (which begs the question what were the options) with a very selective poll base.

Pollster: So what do you think Thailand might gain from Prayut's visit to the Whitehouse?

Tuk-tuk driver: Well, obviously, it could strengthen bilateral ties. 

Pollster: Anything else?

Tuk-tuk driver:  Now let me think ... it could help the Thai delegation exchange and absorb new information.

Nearby somtam woman: No, no, no, I just have to disagree, much more important is the opportunity to stimulate the economy and explain our domestic situation.

Academic: "Falang see Thailand important in world now."

Politician (Democrat educated at Eton and Oxford): "It should have been me by now, what went wrong?"

Short (and short-tempered) retired general: "No I don't know where she is, get over it!"

Passing Falang: "I think too mut...."

Edited by JAG

The last poll I took part in was conducted by medical students on the subject of diaorreah. It gave them a chance to practice their English and we finished off with the obligatory group photo. I hope they got more out of it than I did.

20 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

1113 polled out of a population of over 60m? I can only guess that in Thai 'authorities' eyes that is representative? :whistling: 

I wonder how selective they were of those that were polled?

I smell a rat.

Is 1 polled, for every 54,000 not good enough? You're right . . . those rats smell awful!

4 minutes ago, champers said:

The last poll I took part in was conducted by medical students on the subject of diaorreah. It gave them a chance to practice their English and we finished off with the obligatory group photo. I hope they got more out of it than I did.

" I hope they got more out of it than I did."

An unfortunate turn of phrase!

:smile:

1 hour ago, jgarbo said:

Where is? The US??

Prayut will walk the tightrope well. After Tillerson broke US law by offering him arms, Prayut has another ace up his sleeve to parry the Clown-in Chief's stupidity. We can all see the US is finished, so he'll console the beast, feed it tit-bits and come home with an "aid package" he'll never have to pay back.   

Those cat-nap dreams can be so crazy

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

A meeting based on Nth.Korea. Trump really has not to much interest in the self appointed PM. ONLY return of democracy 

Edited by Media1

6 hours ago, lvr181 said:

A "poll" to justify their junket trip, that is all.

Over 200 of them, all probably staying at Trump hotels, and eating at Trump restaurants.  Trump may be slipping in popularity like the flu, but he's making money hand over fist with his properties - which are essentially required places for visiting foreigners (who have any biz with the US gov't or any of the Trumps or Kushners) to stay.