Ok..I'm an idiot and this is driving me crazy (no pun intended)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/3/2017 at 8:48 AM, Daffy D said:

No! No! No!

Bringing in air from the outside will not solve this problem, the outside air is damp and will continue to steam up the windows.

Recirculating the air inside the car will eventually get rid of the moisture in the air and reduce build up of steamy windows.

:smile:

Strange it works for me. With my Toyota Vigo I went for ages before I did it, bringing the air from outside (not recirculating) improved things a lot. Opening the windows doesn't have the same effect.

On 03/10/2017 at 8:35 AM, FruitPudding said:

I drive a Ford too. That's the problem. Even when air blowers are set to feet only, there is a huge amount coming up the back to the windscreen. Design flaw.

Interestingly, when I set it to face & feet, there is no draft coming up back to the windscreen. I just have to dip the face blowers cos if they blow upward it'll still mist up.

This seemed fine this morning, but will need to test it out more.

You are lucky it only happens to you 10 days a year. It happens to me every single day at dawn, dusk, or at night. Obviously it doesn't happen when the sun is high in the sky cos then it dries and warms the windscreen.

Bloody Ford. Next time i will buy a Toyota.

Try washing up liquid on a damp cloth on the inside the windows 

If you have moisture appearing on the exterior side of the windshield, it is caused by only one thing condensation. It is caused by the car's interior temperature being significantly lower than the outside humid air temperature. Condensation that forms on the outside of a cold drink container is a good example. The only way to prevent it is to equalize the temperature difference between the interior and exterior. You can do this by adjusting the AC temperature control to a higher setting until the condensation does not form. 

On 10/2/2017 at 7:29 PM, Kinnock said:

I think the problem is the a/c being directed onto the screen, and this is cooling the glass and causing condensation on the outside of the screen?  The side vents will cause the same issue if they are pointed at the side windows.

Leave a/c on, as this will keep you cool and also reduce humidity inside the car to prevent internal misting, but make sure none of the vents are blowing on the glass.  To do this - set the vents to down/face level and NOT the screen demisting setting, and direct the side vents to blow inside the car (basically the opposite of what you'd do to keep a car in a cold country demisted).

You might be right. I get the issue - early in the morning, mind, and after rain or car wash - on one side of the nearside front window. It clears, once removed by winding the window down. 

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

Strange it works for me. With my Toyota Vigo I went for ages before I did it, bringing the air from outside (not recirculating) improved things a lot. Opening the windows doesn't have the same effect.

And do you know the reason why .... 

Most quality vehicles will have a temperature control for the airconditioning, turn on the aircon set for recirculation set for demist and increase the air temperature to minimise external fogging. 

Have a Ford too, no problem.

But when you clean the outside window with something like Rain X ( nano technology) it stays clear,

for inside helps a piece of a panty hose filled with cat grid ( 4 handful) will do, just place it somewhere in the car and problem solved,

Unless you have climate control where you can set the temperature a little hotter , because most cars in thailand don't have heaters only air con. My triton also does that and I found it also doesn't have a demister.poverty pack cars.

On 03/10/2017 at 12:35 PM, FruitPudding said:

I drive a Ford too. That's the problem. Even when air blowers are set to feet only, there is a huge amount coming up the back to the windscreen. Design flaw.

Interestingly, when I set it to face & feet, there is no draft coming up back to the windscreen. I just have to dip the face blowers cos if they blow upward it'll still mist up.

This seemed fine this morning, but will need to test it out more.

You are lucky it only happens to you 10 days a year. It happens to me every single day at dawn, dusk, or at night. Obviously it doesn't happen when the sun is high in the sky cos then it dries and warms the windscreen.

Bloody Ford. Next time i will buy a Toyota.

I have a Ford Ranger, air conditioner is too cold, I set the knob to mid way and then the air conditioning direction to face and feet, putting it on the windscreen will cause the condensation on the outside.

You could set it to windowscreen and then when you see it starting to frost up, set it to face and feet, I also turn the air con off when it gets to cold and then just let the fan run until the cold goes, then I put the air con button back on and repeat the exercise, no way around it I am sorry to say. 

18 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I just can't do that in Bangkok. The cabin gets full of diesel fumes and other unpleasant odours. 

I intended deleting my post Wiggy.  My recommendation works only for fogging on the inside.

I understand the problem with external air in Bangkok.

4 hours ago, Robert24 said:

I sealed off the defrost vents too on my Fortuner. Despite setting the aircon not to blow air upwards, it still leaked air to the window screen. It's mostly fixed now.

My ride hasn't got screen vents, I did think strange when I bought it, but it has a heated rear screen for those frosty mornings....:unsure:

On 10/4/2017 at 1:06 PM, transam said:

Car and driver in perfect harmony.....:giggle:

You gonna start singing then?

On 10/5/2017 at 3:43 PM, dumbo3200 said:

I have the same issue with my Mazda BT50. Over time it seems that the windscreen vents stop sealing and don't fully close letting just enough air on the windscreen to cause moisture on the outside. I have not bothered to fix it yet and just use an old towel across the dash to cover the vents. Not a perfect solution but it works and helps protect the dash. 

If the OP has a new (post 2011) Ranger, chances are there's an automatic vent not closing somewhere in the guts of the dashboard. I have seen this reported in Aussie Ranger forums and dumbo's BT50 uses the same internals as Rangers.

If you turn the ignition on (engine not started) and run the aircon/fans, try selecting between floor/face and windscreen. The vent closing should come with a pretty solid thump. If you hear any clicking, there's probably a loose or broken shaft, coupling or something or other that's causing the vent to stay partially open. Better done with engine off so you can hear any clicking easier.

Not sure if it was an issue in earlier (pre 2011) models.

I haven't had the issue in either of my 2 Rangers but the OP may want to mention it to the dealership if he's still under warranty and/or getting serviced there. Otherwise it may be a real bugger to get sorted.

On 10/5/2017 at 5:02 AM, jesimps said:

Drawing fresh air from outside might have fixed your problem but will not stop condensation forming on the exterior side of the windshield that the OP complained about.

On 10/2/2017 at 8:48 PM, Daffy D said:

No! No! No!

Bringing in air from the outside will not solve this problem, the outside air is damp and will continue to steam up the windows.

Recirculating the air inside the car will eventually get rid of the moisture in the air and reduce build up of steamy windows.

:smile:

You got 4 likes for a post that won't solve the OP's problem. The OP isn't complaining about steamy windows. Whether you circulate interior air or don't, it will not eliminate condensation forming on the exterior side of the windshield. Condensation forms on exterior surfaces because the interior side is colder. The higher the humidity in the air the more condensation. In the OP's case, the only way to solve this problem is to adjust the AC temp control to a higher setting or block AC air from blowing direçtly on inside of the glass.

2 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

Drawing fresh air from outside might have fixed your problem but will not stop condensation forming on the exterior side of the windshield that the OP complained about.

It can ...

12 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

You got 4 likes for a post that won't solve the OP's problem. The OP isn't complaining about steamy windows. Whether you circulate interior air or don't, it will not eliminate condensation forming on the exterior side of the windshield. Condensation forms on exterior surfaces because the interior side is colder. The higher the humidity in the air the more condensation. In the OP's case, the only way to solve this problem is to adjust the AC temp control to a higher setting or block AC air from blowing direçtly on inside of the glass.

just turn on wipers to intermittant, TOO EASY?

6 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

How can it?? ridiculous statement

The outside air temperature, here in Thailand, is normally  warmer than the temperature inside the air conditioned car.

So in the case when the Air con is on manual …. when you change from ‘recirc’ to ‘fresh air’ the inlet temperature to the 'air con unit' increases quite a bit as then does its  outlet temperature.

Result … warmer air to the windscreen …so not quite  such a ridiculous statement:smile:

Note that I said 'it can happen' and see post #24 who suggests the same ........................

Edited by JAS21