Pattaya beach now dubbed "War Zone" by tourists

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, bizboi said:

Refugees??? has the Thai Government now adopted European immigration laws too? Looking at the top end of Sukhumvit it looks like it!!

Not that they were talking about refugees, just for some unknown reason referring to the homeless as refugees, but some countries do not actually need to be told to take in people whose lives are in danger, Thailand regularly takes over 2 million Myanmarese, they come and go as fighting in their region intensifies and calms.  Thailand has a long history of accepting refugees, from the Chinese aristocrats who fled colonization of Indochina to the millions who fled communism, the only ones they have not accepted recently were the Uyghurs.

8 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

So when was that I must have missed it

Same thing here, world class,never, but the entertainment was first class and years ago where I and others went to sleep off,never swim, the previous night come mornings trip out.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

What was once a "world class" beach is now a tip, they said, once again repeating the mantra that this was "damaging the image of Pattaya".

Which Pattaya are they referring to?  Not the one in Thailand, that is for sure.

57 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Who gives a **** on yet another news story Pattaya’s poor excuse for it’s beach!

What % of  Pattaya’s “tourists” would be stupid enough to go there to enjoy the beach?

Only for the pussy

8 hours ago, jaywalker said:

I spent a bit of time in Iraq and Afghanistan in 2005-2006 or so.

Pattaya beach looks worse.

Really?  Syria's quite nice too I hear, Yemen getting quite popular as well.

No accountability in this city that takes in millions of $$$$ from tourism( Yes, the city can afford to hire experts to do the job— not amateurs) The so called contractor should have his name exposed to the public. Contractor Kijakarn Ruamka Marine Construction Co. is the “company” responsible for this embarrassment to Pattaya City. 

Remember the stunning cunning plan of a fortnight ago: vastly increased tourist traffic and - and this was the best bit - with planned emphasis on 'high-end female visitors'. Yes, you can hear them queuing up to book and the Thomas Cook website has just crashed . . . porkies, maybe, but nowhere near as big as those from that bint in her PR stint. The best thing for Pattaya would be another bouncing bomb - circa Dam Busters - that strikes and flattens, here, there and pretty well everywhere before bouncing back harmlessly out to sea . . . or down to Phuket, maybe.

7 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I walked along the beach yesterday to see for myself what all the commotion was about....walked from somewhete between the Hilton and Mike shopping mall to walking St, where most tourists head for....all looked ok to me.

I guess the  area in question was above my starting point. Given that then, I don't see how many tourists are affected as they mainly frequent the stretch I walked.

There's a few steps up to some elevated platform on that stretch of sidewalk...Did you see some farang sitting there on folding chairs drinking beer? 

3 hours ago, Cranky said:

Really?  Syria's quite nice too I hear, Yemen getting quite popular as well.

Ahh Yemen!

Thanks for reminding me. I spent a week there in 2000. It ranks right up there w/ Bangladesh.

Pattaya isn't quite THAT bad, yet, but is trying to get there as fast as it can go.

I know this stretch of the beach , I exercise on my way to Naklua.  And the homeless are now around 5-6 persons seem to be staying there all the time.  Also some poor fishermen with their boats like to get drunk every night .   Not a safe area when it's dark . 

Will it be cleaned up ? Probably not. 

21 hours ago, DonaldBattles said:

Pattaya is the sex capital of Asia, always has been and always will be because that is the way the Thais want it. What do think people come to Pattaya for? I lived there for 5 years while working in Rayong. I enjoyed the city but not the dirty beaches. 

Maybe, but there's a certain "faction" that would like to change all that and replace it with a world-class resort type image.  Is there any likelihood of that at all?  I think most that have been around for any length of time seriously doubt it.  The problem isn't so much the part about eliminating the "sex capital"; the current government could get most of that closed down through various "disincentives" in reasonably short order if it really wanted to.   It's instead with renovating and upgrading the city-wide infrastructure and all else that needs to happen along with that.  That kind of thing just isn't something the locals are good at OR solidly motivated toward.  At all.  So the possible outcome if the moral minority has its way is a "sterilized" Pattaya with all of the existing problems, but none of the fun, and none of the tourist draw - except for maybe the clueless and not-so-free-spending Chinese hordes - that it has now.  And some will say that'd be an improvement even so.  But the thing is, if the place does become a ghost town with all of its former luster, whatever you might've thought of it, gone, THEN who's gonna' want to come in and invest the big money in actually fixing it, re-building it, and re-branding it? 

Edited by hawker9000

Walking this beach in my military days during 1964 was a real peace of heaven from as far South in Jomtien to Naklua in the North, even the little coves along Wongamat were a great place to relax. Access to the beach was not a problem whatever direction of approach you chose. My return in 2003 was a real shock to witness the destruction of this coast line by encroachment on public land, restriction of entry to the beach, illegal structures everywhere & damage to the environment, even the abuse & hostility of the local vendors if you sat on "their patch" without hiring a deckchair was something I never expected in the land of smiles. The whole experience of being on a tropical beach has been ruined in Pattaya in my opinion ............. I asked myself if things would eventually really improve? The answer was .........  I just stopped going to the beach 10 years ago ;-(

On 03/10/2017 at 5:14 AM, wakeupplease said:

So when was that I must have missed it

These folks do not know what is world class beach :-) :-) I have travelled to Antigua and Dominican Republic and lived in Mykonos-Greece and worked on World class beaches.Surely they can get act together can't they?

23 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Not that they were talking about refugees, just for some unknown reason referring to the homeless as refugees, but some countries do not actually need to be told to take in people whose lives are in danger, Thailand regularly takes over 2 million Myanmarese, they come and go as fighting in their region intensifies and calms.  Thailand has a long history of accepting refugees, from the Chinese aristocrats who fled colonization of Indochina to the millions who fled communism, the only ones they have not accepted recently were the Uyghurs.

…But they DID refer to them as refugees…as for the the Chinese being “poor refugees” to thailand? Maybe the british were in the same way “poor refugees to India”? Only a very small percentage of immigrants lives are in danger - the rest are economic migrants - acting in ways which WE as westerners are not allowed to act!!