Should the British Government be responsible for housing and feeding ex-pats returning from Thailand?

webfact

Look it is pretty simple, whilst the laws are as they are the UK has to pay

It could be worse for the UK he could have been drawing on UK benefit all the time he was in thailand

However for those that are fully upto date with their NI contributions whether by voluntary contributions or retired and fully paid I hope the UK will continue to grant this option

I hope at 72 I never have to avail myself of this but it is also reassuring to know as a last resort it is there

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Thai Ron said:

I can tell if someone's British or not, Einstein.

Usually by the way they look or the way they speak and, from what I saw, there were a hell of a lot of immigrants working shit jobs in cafes, fast food restaurants, stacking shelves, sweeping roads and cleaning toilets at hospitals. I'm not saying there aren't any immigrants taking the piss but you make out they're all at it like the typical little Englander

So come on then, Alf Garnett; when were you last in the UK to see all the scrounging immigrants you've been running you gob about throughout this thread and countless others??

59d359b1a80dd_laughalot.gif.ff3f32f10f44459ebd31878a2f465935.gif..................My friend was Turkish, had a shop near mine, known him for about twenty years. My friend from HK had a Chinese takeaway, known him for at least 30 years...

My name is nothing like Alf Garrnett, hmmm, countless other threads, are you a reincarnated one....?

sun.gif.156d3c882f0e6be11dfb9c4a925caf03.gif

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO had the mass migration of refugees/ immigrants never occurred, the question would never have come up. Instead of differentiating between citizen and immigrant, as they should, governments are now lumping all in together, which, IMO, is evil.

Thanks for your comment.

I think you're absolutely right; but due to various International conventions, together with risk of being pronounced racists, many a government cannot make any difference between their own national citizens, and others. We see that especially within EU.

7 hours ago, hansnl said:

But, the Government pays out huge amounts of money to every so-called fugutive, mostly from islamic countries, that arrives in Britain.

Do why not help British Nationals?

If was the British government i would be hesitant to help any British national who murders the Queen's language.

6 hours ago, tigermoth said:

He is lying through his teeth. Drink driving is not legal in Thailand and everyone knows that every country in the world has drink driving laws. He is just a person who has no self control and expects if's his right that people should aid and assist him. Unless he shows he has some form of spine he may as well jump off the nearest bridge, better for him and everyone else.

Its a click bait story pulled out of some blog. Not even real. People get paid to come up with stories like these for some lazy blogger who makes a few bucks from Google. The internet is littered with these kinds of stories. You can find all kinds of sob stories. :coffee1:

Edited by Machiavelli

6 hours ago, retarius said:

Yes they should. The British government should also take better care of their citizens abroad and in Thailand via their embassy.

Why ?,  the people  who  have chosen to leave Britain ,

spend their money in Thailand , supporting the Thai economy.  Good bye  UK .

Wait for it , I worked man and boy for,    etc ...

Edited by elliss

34 minutes ago, transam said:

59d359b1a80dd_laughalot.gif.ff3f32f10f44459ebd31878a2f465935.gif..................My friend was Turkish, had a shop near mine, known him for about twenty years. My friend from HK had a Chinese takeaway, known him for at least 30 years...

My name is nothing like Alf Garrnett, hmmm, countless other threads, are you a reincarnated one....?

sun.gif.156d3c882f0e6be11dfb9c4a925caf03.gif

Can't answer the question, then?

Thought not.

Can't blame you.

if I just spent my life on Thaivisa repeating guff I'd read in the Daily Mail and couldn't back any of it up with first hand experience, I wouldn't answer it either.  

Mark is a real Thai disaster and picked up some bad habits, then try's to blame others for the problems caused by himself and his chosen lifestyle.

Get off your backside mate and help yourself a bit and do not expect others to support you when at 41 you are a drunk. But what happened to the land and the wife mate, usually story I expect.

Sad story of thinking about himself all the time, just be thankful for what Britain gives you now mate, shut up and start working on being a better person.

So many end up like this and are a real drain on society, its the country's fault not mine is the thinking, think on Mark.

Edited by wakeupplease

9 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Can't answer the question, then?

Thought not.

Can't blame you.

if I just spent my life on Thaivisa repeating guff I'd read in the Daily Mail and couldn't back any of it up with first hand experience, I wouldn't answer it either.  

If I gave you first hand experience you would guff it....So you now have a ploblem with folk who spend their time on TVF......And you don't.......Oh dear.....

Who told you my name was Alf Garnett.....?...You can at least answer that as someone in the UK employment info set...

7 hours ago, djayz said:

I am of the opinion that all adults should take care of themselves - irrespective of nationality. 

A good-for-nothing sod is a burden on the system. There are more than enough Brits milking the system. 

In the UK from your first day of work you are putting in, tax, National Insurance, VAT. If they demand so much they must pay out. 

What about all the good for nothing fake refugees? It is totally wrong to put them ahead of nationals.

1 minute ago, transam said:

If I gave you first hand experience you would guff it....So you now have a ploblem with folk who spend their time on TVF......And you don't.......Oh dear.....

Who told you my name was Alf Garnett.....?...You can at least answer that as someone in the UK employment info set...

Clumsy attempt at deflecting attention away from your inability to back up the drivel you spout.

Are you sure you're even British? Alf Garnett is a fictional character played by Warren Mitchell.

Google him. As you're so fond of saying Google's your mate

4 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

This fella is a bad example. He dossed around in Thailand during his peak earning years when most other people are busy grafting so they one day might be able to visit or retire to somehere like Thailand. Not much sympathy in his case. Having said that, ethnic Brits should always be put before non-Europeans when it comes to government assistance. Its insane that this point-of-view is even considered controversial - that is is what decades of brainwashing will do to a people.

What are "ethnic Brits?" Celts? Anglo-saxons? And how would you prove the purity of the ethnicity? By DNA?

Apart from being racist in the extreme, be careful what you wish for as you would not be the first person espousing such views who found that their DNA reflected . . . shall we say a much more diverse genome than they hitherto thought they had.

3 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

What are "ethnic Brits?" Celts? Anglo-saxons? And how would you prove the purity of the ethnicity? By DNA?

Apart from being racist in the extreme, be careful what you wish for as you would not be the first person espousing such views who found that their DNA reflected . . . shall we say a much more diverse genome than they hitherto thought they had.

I think he means "white" and maybe a English-sounding name like Barnes or Pilkington.

Bowler hat and crooked teeth would help too.

Edited by Thai Ron

5 minutes ago, chrissables said:

In the UK from your first day of work you are putting in, tax, National Insurance, VAT. If they demand so much they must pay out. 

What about all the good for nothing fake refugees? It is totally wrong to put them ahead of nationals.

Oh come on he paid in very little compared to the rest of us as he legged it overseas for a better life which ended in failure, so then you expect everyone else to pay for his problems.

fake refugees, yes there are some, but even they pay tax of one sort or another, where mark sat in the sunshine and got pissed every day and now expects the UK to support him.

So many on here knock the old country but thats where they run when the S>>> hits the fan as it will for most expats here.

6 hours ago, edwardflory said:

I date women who have a work history of at least 15 years, and in management positions if possible 

What? You have them file a CV before you buy them a drink?

A post commenting on moderation has been removed. 

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

You will not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.

1 hour ago, al007 said:

It could be worse for the UK he could have been drawing on UK benefit all the time he was in thailand

He would not have been able to claim UK Unemployment benefit, if he was living in Thailand .

Even if he could have applied for sickness benefit, he wouldnt have been able to live in Thailand (legally, complying with UK benefit laws).

1 minute ago, sanemax said:
1 hour ago, al007 said:

He would not have been able to claim UK Unemployment benefit, if he was living in Thailand .

Even if he could have applied for sickness benefit, he wouldnt have been able to live in Thailand (legally, complying with UK benefit laws).

I may not have explained it well but what I meant was if he had been living in the UK when he was actually in Thailand he could have cost the system even more, so maybe the UK saved a little

I do not agree with the UK social welfare but it is the law, and then at the other extreme is Thailand with little social welfare, note I did not say no social welfare

5 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

This fella is a bad example. He dossed around in Thailand during his peak earning years when most other people are busy grafting so they one day might be able to visit or retire to somehere like Thailand. Not much sympathy in his case. Having said that, ethnic Brits should always be put before non-Europeans when it comes to government assistance. Its insane that this point-of-view is even considered controversial - that is is what decades of brainwashing will do to a people.

Ethnic Brits? What a laugh. No such thing exists. 

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The individual in this story doesn't exactly cover himself in glory in his efforts, but it does raise the bigger question of those returning who have paid many, many years of Taxes and N.I. but for whom life overseas, for whatever reason has ended. As a UK citizen, you would like to think you would be offered at least the same benefits as recently arrived immigrants.

Non EEA national immigrants coming to live in the UK are not entitled to any benefits, except those they have paid the appropriate NICs for, until they have Indefinite Leave to Remain; which takes at least 5 years to obtain. If the spouse or partner of a British citizen, their British sponsor is able to claim any and all benefits they may be entitled to as an individual, but cannot claim any extra due to their immigrant spouse or partner living with them which they would otherwise be entitled to were their partner or spouse a British citizen. This includes eligibility to social housing.

It is different for returning British ex pats; all they have to do to be able to claim any and all benefits they would be entitled to had they never left the UK, including social housing, is pass the habitual residence test. See this from Citizens Advice. Note that, if they pass, they can receive these benefits immediately, they don't have to be a UK resident for at least three months as it claims in the OP.

10 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Mark is a very bad example to use for posing this question. I am sure there are others who are trying a lot harder to make it back in the old country. For these people I would say that they should at least receive the same benefits as the so-called refugees.

They receive far more than refugees do!

An unemployed returning ex pat, aged 25 or over, would receive at least the minimum income support amount of £73.10 p.w.; asylum seekers receive a maximum allowance of £36.95 p.w..

Edit:

Reading further through the topic, I see that others have made similar ill informed points to darksidedog and DoctorG about eligibility to public funds in the UK. I hope those people see this so they can learn the facts rather than make assumptions.

Edited by 7by7

If he wants to be helped, in the US there would be help for him. Shaming people with addictions is no treatment for substance abuse. He or his network are looking for help in the wrong places, like here, he might start for free with AA or Smart Recovery or many other like people or places.

53 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

I think he means "white" and maybe a English-sounding name like Barnes or Pilkington.

Bowler hat and crooked teeth would help too.

Has it ever occurred to some people that maybe Mr Barnes and Mr Pilkington should not have huffed and puffed and colonized half the world. Mr Barnes and Mr Pilkington went and trashed the colonies and ran with the loot back to the UK. The colonials are just following their money. When UK money runs out and its in the gutter they will hurry back home. I can promise you that.

8 minutes ago, Machiavelli said:

Ethnic Brits? What a laugh. No such thing exists. 

Indeed, the population of these islands consists of Celts, Picts, Romano British, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Danes, Norman French; and that just takes us up to 1066!

6 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Immigrants coming to live in the UK are not entitled to any benefits, except those they have paid the appropriate NICs for, until they have Indefinite Leave to Remain; which takes at least 5 years to obtain. If the spouse or partner of a British citizen, their British sponsor is able to claim any and all benefits they may be entitled to as an individual, but cannot claim any extra due to their immigrant spouse or partner living with them which they would otherwise be entitled to were their partner or spouse a British citizen. This includes eligibility to social housing.

It is different for returning British ex pats; all they have to do to be able to claim any and all benefits they would be entitled to had they never left the UK, including social housing, is pass the habitual residence test. See this from Citizens Advice. Note that, if they pass, they can receive these benefits immediately, they don't have to be a UK resident for at least three months as it claims in the OP.

They receive far more than refugees do!

An unemployed returning ex pat, aged 25 or over, would receive at least the minimum income support amount of £73.10 p.w.; asylum seekers receive a maximum allowance of £36.95 p.w..

Im not aving that .

Those bluddy furriners get given a free house and at least a grand a week pocket money and Brits get bugger all

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Im not aving that .

Those bluddy furriners get given a free house and at least a grand a week pocket money and Brits get bugger all

I know you are not serious; but unfortunately some people actually believe this!

2 minutes ago, Machiavelli said:

Has it ever occurred to some people that maybe Mr Barnes and Mr Pilkington should not have huffed and puffed and colonized half the world. Mr Barnes and Mr Pilkington went and trashed the colonies and ran with the loot back to the UK. The colonials are just following their money. When UK money runs out and its in the gutter they will hurry back home. I can promise you that.

Home for them now is the UK

Many of the Indian sub continent immigrants from the 60's & 70's are doing quite well for themselves .

8 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I agree with a lot of your points but our NHS is already in crisis so talking about putting in him and people like him in institutions and inducing this type of medical care is never gonna happen as much as it's well intended. 

Thanks, yes I also agree your health system wouldn't cope with it, hence the reason I made a suggestion that the government should go into a joint venture with its alcohol partners and put funds towards the poison they dish out, as much as we enjoy drinking it, have a responsibility to the ones who drink too much.

In all honesty, it is hard to see loved ones have a bottle of Johnny Red for breakfast and a bottle of Ouzo or Vodka for dinner, absolute ugly to find them in the morning past out on the floor with blood seeping from their head wounds as they hit the floor, on their way to bed or the bathroom, its like you and me not being able to drink enough water, always thirsty, as my brother would always say to me, help me, help me, I can;t stop, its killing me, and it did in the end, because the hospital got sick of seeing him turn up in an ambulance with head wounds, putting him back in an induced coma, etc, etc, with their attitude being if you want to kill yourself, just do it, as we have people that require our services, which I can understand, that is why the governments need to have some special care places established to combat the situation, because the problem isn't going to go away, its only going to get worse, just look at drink driving for an example.