Best path to follow for O-A marriage extension

I have been traveling to Thailand for several years, always entering visa exempt as a US citizen. Now after having been married to a Thai lady for a few years, I'm about ready to make the move to Thailand permanently.

What is the easiest path to follow from visa exempt to an O-A visa with a marriage extension?

I am now 72 years old, can furnish the required funds, & all documents.

Just looking for the least amount of hassle.

Is it possible to do in Savanakhet?

You should get a Single Entry Non-immigrant 'O' Visa based on your marriage before leaving the US. You'll get permission to stay for 90 days on entry to Thailand. Within the last 30 days of the 90 you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on your marriage.

Entering under visa exemption is far more hassle to achieve your aim.

'O-A' visas are not available in Thailand. You'd have to get one in the US, however, you don't need one.

• Like 2

Non imm 'O' 'A' visas are for retirement not for marriage.

In order to obtain a 1 year extension for 'marriage' to a Thai national you require a non imm 'O' visa. a conversion within Thailand  from a visa exempt to a non imm 'O' would be difficult to obtain as some immigration offices say it is not possible.

You can obtain a multi entry Non imm 'O' visa in Savvanakhet Lao. not sure about multi entry 'O' visa 's in the USA

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

You can obtain a multi entry Non imm 'O' visa in Savvanakhet Lao. not sure about multi entry 'O' visa 's in the USA

Why would he want a multiple entry non-o visa since he plans on applying for a one year extension. A single entry non-o would be all he would need.

FYI the embassy in Washington and the 3 official consulates will issue a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

Thanks for the replies. Am a bit unclear about getting a visa in Laos. Is it possible to do with only the visa exempt? Also to get a visa in the US I would have to have funds on deposit in Thailand?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, tjinks said:

Thanks for the replies. Am a bit unclear about getting a visa in Laos. Is it possible to do with only the visa exempt? Also to get a visa in the US I would have to have funds on deposit in Thailand?

For a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage there would be no financial proof needed.

You can apply for the single entry non-o in person or by mail at the embassy in Washington DC or the consulates in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles. You can apply in person at any of the honorary consulates listed here. http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

If you entered visa exempt you could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. You would need at least 15 days remaining on your entry. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only or proof of 40k baht income.

You can apply at the embassy in Vientiane Laos or the consulate in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof. It would not matter what type of entry you had when you entered Thailand since it would no longer be valid since you  would of left the country already.

You could if you wish get the O-A visa that woulg be good for 2 years (remembering to buy a reentry permit for the second year of course.) Then twds the end of second year apply for an extension based on marriage at your local immigration office. Personaly i would go down that route. Gives you 2 years hassle free to start.

A Non-O-A visa takes a lot of effort and documentation in the USA and in the OP case is not the best option. The OP can easily get a Single entry Non-O from a Honorary Consulate by showing his marriage certificate and funds (can be in USA bank.) As others have stated, once in Thailand for at least 60 days the OP can then apply for an extension of stay based on Thai spouse. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

Single entry Non-O from a Honorary Consulate by showing his marriage certificate and funds (can be in USA bank.)

They don't require financial proof other than $700 which is their equivalent of the standard 20k baht needed to get a visa.

Not sure the honorary consulates would ask to the see the $700. The embassy shows it as a requirement.

I just obtained a Non O  based on marriage from The Royal Thai Embassy Counselor Office in Washington D.C.  dated 8 July 2017. Their requirement of showing 700 USD was meet by a bank statement from my bank her in Thailand which btw the letter was some 3 months old. I put my application in on a Monday morning and picked up passport Wednesday morning. Excellent service. Also according to them they or the Official Thai Counsels in New York, Chicago and Los Angles  are the only ones that can issue this visa or a single not the honoree counsels.

4 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Also according to them they or the Official Thai Counsels in New York, Chicago and Los Angles  are the only ones that can issue this visa or a single not the honoree counsels.

As far as I know that restriction was for multiple entry visa of any category.

From the houston consulate website. http://www.thaiconsulatehouston.com/

The Honorary Consulate General can only issue single entry visas. Multiple entry visas must be obtained through the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C., or one of the Royal Thai Consulates General in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know that restriction was for multiple entry visa of any category.

From the houston consulate website. http://www.thaiconsulatehouston.com/

UJ I can only tell you what they told me with phone calls from Thailand and going directly to the Thai Embassy Counsluor Office in Washington D.C. My suggestion to any one that wants to use a honorary counselor office is call that office directly and ask before going to it. Also beware that the Royal Thai Embassy and The Royal Thai Consular Office are about 2 miles apart. Do not go to the Thai Embassy.. between 9am.-12pm. , no appointment needed
Consular Office
Royal Thai Embassy
2300 Kalorama Rd., N.W.
Washington,D.C 20008-1623

Tel. (202) 640-5658 / (202) 640-1439
Fax. (202) 459-9536

15 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

UJ I can only tell you what they told me with phone calls from Thailand and going directly to the Thai Embassy Counsluor Office in Washington D.C.

Were you specific when you talked to them that you only wanted a single entry non-o visa? Perhaps a misunderstanding or just wrong info.

I can recall when they took away the honorary consulates ability to issue multiple entry visas in August last year.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Were you specific when you talked to them that you only wanted a single entry non-o visa? Perhaps a misunderstanding or just wrong info.

I can recall when they took away the honorary consulates ability to issue multiple entry visas in August last year.

UJ there was NO misunderstanding of questions and answers The Thai personal in this offices have a very high grasp of the english language and to add to that my wife was present an questioned them in Thai, same questions an same answers. As I said I recommend that any one using a Honoree Thai Consul call first and ask before you go to the trouble of visiting it. I'm not saying that their web sit is incorrect but the day I wanted to go they had it marked as a holiday and closed. I gave them a call and ask a nice lady and told her what was on there website and she said no they were open and apologized for the mistake and said it would be corrected. It was.

10 hours ago, tjinks said:

I understand that the visa system can be confusing.

If you want a 1 year extension of stay it's issued in Thailand at an immigration office you need to first enter the country with a non-immigrant 'O' visa. So it is best to get that visa before leaving the US. It's simple to apply for without needing funds in Thailand.

If you get the non 'O' before leaving the US you don't need to get a visa in Laos. If you arrive in Thailand under visa exemption you would need to apply for a non-immigrant visa in Thailand at an immigration office before applying for the extension. Once that visa is issued it is immediately used to give you permission to stay for 90 days. Within the last 30 of the 90 you can then apply for a 1 year extension of stay. It's hassle.

You originally said ..

18 hours ago, tjinks said:

Just looking for the least amount of hassle.

If you are looking to get a 1 year extension of stay with the least amount of hassle you should forget about 'O-A" visas, visa exempt entries and trips to Laos, and follow my advice in post 2.