Time to get my own visa (and stop paying)

So have gotten around 3 or 4 visitor visas for the GF to come to UK so far and always paid an agency to get it - mostly through sheer laziness and making sure everything is smoothed over Bangkok side for her while I'm in UK.

But given I know every piece of paper I need and at £500 a go its time I did it myself.

So was wondering about what order it goes in - basically I fly to BKK with all the paperwork required with me, don't need any help with that, but once I get there, what is the order I need to do things in please (and likely timescales if poss)

Oh forgot to add - we'll be married in Thailand just before we come back to the UK

Cheers

Edited by John Richards

You can of course help your girlfriend with her application, but it's her application and it's she that needs to submit all the supporting documentation at the Visa Application Centre when she attends to have her biometric details captured.

As you suggest the procedure is really quite simple and for the average applicant with a straightforward application the support is really necessary. The only caveat I would offer is that she should be as careful with her next application as she has with previous ones, there is always a danger that applicants become over confident and make a simple error. My wife has just applied for her fourth tourist visa and trust me we took as much care with this one as we did with her previous three. She needs to satisfy the decision maker that her proposed trip is genuine, affordable and that on the balance of probabilities she will return home at the conclusion of her trip.

If you're in the UK do you really need to fly to Bangkok to pass over documents, she will already have most of them, any you need could be sent via DHL.

The procedure is still easy, she needs to apply online, you could do that but she'd need access to the completed application to print off and take with her to Trendy, or the Chiang Mai equivilant, the application fee is paid online and then she can make an appointment to hand in her application and supporting evidence.

My wife applied online on the 15th September, she handed in her paperwork on the 18th and collected her visa on the 4th October.

All the information you need, including the recommended documents, is available via the VFS Website.

http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/thailand/

You can of course help your girlfriend with her application, but it's her application and it's she that needs to submit all the supporting documentation at the Visa Application Centre when she attends to have her biometric details captured.

As you suggest the procedure is really quite simple and for the average applicant with a straightforward application the support is really necessary. The only caveat I would offer is that she should be as careful with her next application as she has with previous ones, there is always a danger that applicants become over confident and make a simple error. My wife has just applied for her fourth tourist visa and trust me we took as much care with this one as we did with her previous three. She needs to satisfy the decision maker that her proposed trip is genuine, affordable and that on the balance of probabilities she will return home at the conclusion of her trip.

If you're in the UK do you really need to fly to Bangkok to pass over documents, she will already have most of them, any you need could be sent via DHL.

The procedure is still easy, she needs to apply online, you could do that but she'd need access to the completed application to print off and take with her to Trendy, or the Chiang Mai equivilant, the application fee is paid online and then she can make an appointment to hand in her application and supporting evidence.

My wife applied online on the 15th September, she handed in her paperwork on the 18th and collected her visa on the 4th October.

All the information you need, including the recommended documents, is available via the VFS Website.
 http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/thailand/

That seems a bit longer than normal. Last time my girlfriend's visa was issued within 5 working days. Have things slowed up since last year?

Cheers Oldgit - I'm going to BKK for a holiday so we're killing two birds with one stone really. Normally I would send it out via courier.

Only thing I'm wary of is she's been in the UK 3 of the last 4 years and the last time for the full 6 months - I've been told they don't like that ! She speaks really good english but retreats a bit if  under pressure. Presumably I can't be in the interview to help out (interpreter)

Do you think the brand new ink not wet yet marriage certificate helps ? or makes no difference 

That seems a bit longer than normal. Last time my girlfriend's visa was issued within 5 working days. Have things slowed up since last year?

My wife did say that the Application Centre was very busy when she submitted her application, not sure if that is relevant.
The application would have reached the Embassy on the 19th, she was advised that a decision was made on the 2nd Oct, so nine working days and whilst that was longer than the last time she applied, it was less than the 15 day target they quote.
She applied for a five year visa which do seem to take a day or two longer, though I've no idea why.
  • Like 1

Only thing I'm wary of is she's been in the UK 3 of the last 4 years and the last time for the full 6 months - I've been told they don't like that ! She speaks really good english but retreats a bit if  under pressure. Presumably I can't be in the interview to help out (interpreter)  

Do you think the brand new ink not wet yet marriage certificate helps ? or makes no difference 

It's not that they don't like regular visits but the decision maker will need to be satisfied that the applicant isn't using repeated visits to stay in the UK for extended periods thus attempting to circumnavigate the Settlement procedures.

Staying for the full six months is fully legal and it would only be an issue if in her earlier application she stated she intended to visit for a shorter period, then stayed for six months, especially if she had used things like employment as a reason to return. If this is the case she should advise why she stayed longer than originally intended.

Whilst VFS do say that only the applicant can go into the Application Centre I did see a number of non applicants in the room, I went in myself, however only the applicant went to the desk. It's not necessary for you to interpret, the procedure is not an interview it's a cursory glance of the paperwork, carried out by Thai members of staff and plays no part of the decision making process.

As to your comment about being married, your wife should disclose it, she will be asked if she's married, and provide a translated copy of the certificate but beware that you could be opening up a can of worms. The ECO will need to be satisfied that she will be still returning to Thailand despite the fact she's recently married.