Tourism minister puts brake on Thailand hosting 2034 football World Cup

webfact

Tourism minister puts brake on Thailand hosting 2034 football World Cup

1pm.jpg

Image: Voice TV

Thailand's tourism and sports minister Kobkarn Wattanavarangul has cautioned the country's football authorities in their eagerness to stage the 2034 FIFA World Cup.

She said it costs a lot of money, uses a big budget and could leave the country facing hardship as a result.

But she personally likes the idea and would lend her ministry's support.

Thailand's football chiefs of FAT announced their intention at a meeting in Bali to put in a bid to jointly host the tournament with Indonesia.

The World Cup is the sporting world's biggest event and only Asian powerhouses Japan and South Korea in 2002 were successful in bringing the sports' showpiece event to the continent.

The minister commented to Voice TV:

"Personally I like the plans and I think it is a great idea for Thailand. But the World Cup means a big investment and would use a large budget so everything needs to be looked at very carefully.

"But my ministry is ready to help with the bid as necessary".

She also cautioned that some countries have staged a successful World Cup but have struggled in the aftermath.

"What comes after the tournament is important as the World Cup has pulled the economy of some countries down so everything must be examined in detail".

She mentioned that stadiums would need to be built and that would mean a lot of cooperation with the private sector.

Source: Voice TV

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-06

21 minutes ago, Tom Parkinson said:

She's just being coy. The real reason is that it's not in the 20-year Strategic Plan!

Doesn't need to be in the Plan. They are hoping to use the 2034 World Cup as a celebration of 20  years of junta rule. 2014 - 2034. Also expect a huge monument with a statue of Prayut Chan-o-cha.

Should have tried to get it when Sepp Blatter was the head of FIFA as corruption really did work then, now not so sure anyone would get it that way now, but thinking who is involved on this end, it might.

But I have to admit when I read one of the richest coppers in the country was at the head of the TFA I thought they should go for the WC.

Edited by wakeupplease

1 hour ago, 650721 said:

It would be a tad hot in bkk for soccer anytime of year. Security, well thats another issue, then there will be the bribes etc to figure out..... may as well try for the winter olympics 555.

There is no need to give them more ideas...

11 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

World Cup, Tour de France, Bangkok F1, my gosh these people come up with the caraziest ideas.

Next they will tell us there is going to be an election soon.

It's all in the Roadmap: 10 essential statutes, 4 organic laws, F1, Tour de France, World Cup, Second Coming of Christ, First test-flight of pig/pigeon hybrid over Bangkok.

Followed by elections ...

Edited by chickenslegs

I can't find an adequate word to qualify my surprise about how Thai officials, time after time, nearly daily, succeed in pushing the limits of their thick, smelly BS statements a bit further!  From purely farcical to sadly dramatic, in all fields. When it'd be worth investing time in, I'd be able to write a page long list with the names of state organisations involved.

Guess they all make quite some money doing so, would it be a valid excuse...?   

Edited by bangrak