U.S. VP Pence leaves NFL game after players kneel during anthem

webfact

21 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Correct, and in the meantime whilst kicking up yet another shit storm and pitching Americans Vs Americans nobody is talking about the White Houses decision to stop birth control for women on employer insurance, nor are they talking about Trump's new demands on immigration, the wall and the Dreamers. Trump is a clever, nasty, devicive SOB (Presidentially accepted term of use) and what is even more astonishing than him being permitted to continue, the American people are totally duped and cannot see that the Trump administrations policies are splitting families, friends and a nation.

Personally I would stand at the national anthem because I would personally want to honour a nation that allows people the right to kneel during a national anthem. As a military man that is what I fought for, the right for freedom of expression. Remember all you Americans complaining about those kneeling for a voice against injustice, in the very national anthem that is being sung that you say the kneelers are disrupting the words at the end are

"O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave'

Well I see brave men kneeling, but maybe the "land of the free" needs to be taken out, as clearly under Trump, the USA is no longer the land of the free.

Trump clever?  I believe his Secretary of State, Tillerson called him a moron last week.  

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

The problem here is, this is NOT an issue about free speech.  The issue is about teamwork, unity.  When members of a group act in ways not in common with the team, the team suffers.  Protesting during the national anthem is just improper.  Not because it is the national anthem.  I don't want anybody to have to do anything that is arbitrarily pressured on them.  But if you have something to protest about, go join a protest group, form a society, create a web page, donate money to some cause, donate your time to helping that cause. So you were prejudiced against, put down, discriminated against, saw something the USA did that you didn't like? Join the club.  Life is not perfect.  But Don't now start saying you don't like the USA after all the opportunities it gave you.  You got football scholarships, you get paid reasonably well.  You don't have to sit and write, and create software code, or design complex engineering things as I and other technical people do.  Play the game, work on your team unity.  You are hurting your teams, and organizations.  I assure you many people, in measurable amounts will be spending less money watching football.  Good luck with your choices

Protesting demonstrators never said they "don't like the USA."

The premise in the post is a 100% fail.

It is the case anyway two-thirds of Americans surveyed disapprove of the job Trump is doing as Potus. This is a major reason Trump is standing on ceremony and wrapping himself in the flag. The NFL protests are further revealing Trump-Pence-Putin as a Big Fail. Each day now when I see Trump I see our next unindicted co-conspiritor.  

6 minutes ago, Publicus said:

Protesting demonstrators never said they "don't like the USA."

The premise in the post is a 100% fail.

It is the case anyway two-thirds of Americans surveyed disapprove of the job Trump is doing as Potus. This is a major reason Trump is standing on ceremony and wrapping himself in the flag. The NFL protests are further revealing Trump-Pence-Putin as a Big Fail. Each day now when I see Trump I see our next unindicted co-conspiritor. 

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people, and people of color,"

You wrote, "Protesting demonstrators never said they "don't like the USA.""

Kaepernick said, " I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people, and people of color,"

Edited by amvet

30 minutes ago, amvet said:

Trump clever?  I believe his Secretary of State, Tillerson called him a moron last week.  

Well at least we agree on only one thing, and Tillerson did not call Trump a moron, he called him a f****** Moron, a quite amazing but I hasten to say accurate description by the Secretary of State for the POTUS.

As regards "clever", yes I should have use 'sly' or something similar.

45 minutes ago, amvet said:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people, and people of color,"

You wrote, "Protesting demonstrators never said they "don't like the USA.""

Kaepernick said, " I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people, and people of color,"

You are saying he said something he did not say. Still trying over there to read into and misrepresent the statement.

Here is what Kaepernick did say...

"This is because I’m seeing things happen to people that don’t have a voice, people that don’t have a platform to talk and have their voices heard, and effect change. So I’m in the position where I can do that and I’m going to do that for people that can’t."

http://americanmilitarynews.com/2017/09/video-coach-parents-support-8-year-old-football-players-kneeling-during-national-anthem-to-protest-racial-injustice/

White guyz with power and money.

Maybe Pence could have gone to this protest demonstration in Oakland where 8 year old players, their parents and coaches agreed on taking a knee. Trump and Pence do in fact need to take a knee before the Constitution which is the law of the land the flag represents. 

The Constitution is btw predicated on the principle that the government that governs best governs least. Methinks therefore Trump and Pence should play more golf. And travel abroad more.

Edited by Publicus
Knee 'em.

38 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

"Now listen Pence" says Trump. "I want you to go to the NFL game and when those guys take a knee I want you to walk out. That will teach those sons of b*tches!"

A sheit tweet made flesh. 

"Responsible" government in action. 

Nazi book burners would feel right at home. 

Edited by Jingthing

This is going to evolve to a sustained protest against Trump.  I suggest a pose like;

Standing, with one arm bent up, and the other bent down, with the head going side to side.  It exemplifies Trump switching sides on every issue, and not knowing what's right or wrong.

Trump going shopping with another man's wife - Trump surmises, "I took her shopping for a couch. I came onto her like a bitch."    

open Q:   If you were happily married or had a beautiful young daughter, ....would you allow your family member (wife, daughter, sister, niece, ....) be with Trump Sr?  I wouldn't, or would certainly advise against it.   Trump and Pence have zero moral turpitude.  I'm not sure if I'd let either one walk my dogs around the block. 

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Pence, who has gone out of his way to demonstrate loyalty to Trump, said in his statement it was important to rally around the flag and things that unite the country.

Was he missed? 

6 hours ago, Boon Mee said:
Donald J. Trumpบัญชีตัวจริง @realDonaldTrump
ติดตาม
I asked @VP Pence to leave stadium if any players kneeled, disrespecting our country. I am proud of him and @SecondLady Karen.

He was given an order by the Commander-in-Chief.

You don't disobey the Commander-in-Chief  :sleep:

A quarter of a million dollars political stunt 

14 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The right to free speech and protest is arguably the basis for the entire American experiment. Yet, there are people who argue that if you exercise those rights, you are damaging the country.

Miss the point and noted with bias. Football players or whoever can protest, nobody is saying they can't, though one can also disagree with the protest and it's within my rights on my time as an owner to dismiss you. I can also agree it's damaging the country. Well hell, we have illegal immigrants in the US protesting for more rights, the military isn't rounding them all up for deportation. For all the cheap shot Yank bashers. We have our faults but we are generally a fair, generous, and accepting nation.

If you live in Asia, have money, or connections, you want your kids to be educated in the US, have a career, and live in the US. As for the other gutless, where's your democracy in Thailand. You can't protest and even this small dissension will be blocked or might be held against me.

1 hour ago, Publicus said:

You are saying he said something he did not say. Still trying over there to read into and misrepresent the statement.

Here is what Kaepernick did say...

"This is because I’m seeing things happen to people that don’t have a voice, people that don’t have a platform to talk and have their voices heard, and effect change. So I’m in the position where I can do that and I’m going to do that for people that can’t."

http://americanmilitarynews.com/2017/09/video-coach-parents-support-8-year-old-football-players-kneeling-during-national-anthem-to-protest-racial-injustice/

White guyz with power and money.

Maybe Pence could have gone to this protest demonstration in Oakland where 8 year old players, their parents and coaches agreed on taking a knee. Trump and Pence do in fact need to take a knee before the Constitution which is the law of the land the flag represents. 

The Constitution is btw predicated on the principle that the government that governs best governs least. Methinks therefore Trump and Pence should play more golf. And travel abroad more.

I'Il repeat it.  Kaepernick said, " am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000691077/article/colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-sat-during-national-anthem

You wrote, " Protesting demonstrators never said they "don't like the USA."

Since he did say in so many words that he didn't like the USA don't you think you owe us all an apology? 

Edited by amvet

26 minutes ago, amvet said:

I'Il repeat it.  Kaepernick said, " am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000691077/article/colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-sat-during-national-anthem

You wrote, " Protesting demonstrators never said they "don't like the USA."

Since he did say in so many words that he didn't like the USA don't you think you owe us all an apology? 

My nephew is a convicted criminal.

In *no* way am I (or anyone else in the family) "proud" of how he has lived his life so far, but we visited him when he in jail, and we still love and care about him  -  the family hopes that he has finally learned enough to make the necessary changes in his life.

1 minute ago, andersonat said:

My nephew is a convicted criminal.

In *no* way am I (or anyone else in the family) "proud" of how he has lived his life so far, but we visited him when he in jail, and we still love and care about him  -  the family hopes that he has finally learned enough to make the necessary changes in his life.

Did you start a movement to inform 200 million people that you are not proud of your nephew and why?  Do you think if you did that one could say you didn't like him? 

15 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The right to free speech and protest is arguably the basis for the entire American experiment. Yet, there are people who argue that if you exercise those rights, you are damaging the country.

Black is white. Up is down. Wet is dry.

What has happened to the USA? 

It is a terrible thing to watch a country voluntarily set itself on a path of decline.

"It is a terrible thing to watch a country voluntarily set itself on a path of decline".

Just replace "a  country" with "the NFL"

These player's should all be fired for protesting 

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Hey Fake VP... Good riddance!  And don't let the door hit you on the way out.

evangelicals and jehovah witnessess,  might as well be ISIS members ..... zombies ate their brains.

Next week, Pence can do the same protest:  Except he can release a video (of what he did this week).  He will therefore save half a million $$'s.   He can send it as personal check to me.  I'll put it to good use - maybe make a stick sculpture of Trump - so I can burn it down.

BTW, did Pence leave before the Nat'l anthem finished playing?  If so, he disrespected the anthem (if it's possible to do such a thing).

on a side note:  Islamists often bellyache about some heathen 'offending religion.'  They should know that religion is a thing, and can't be offended.  Only people can be offended.  Not even animals can get offended.  Perhaps that makes animals superior to humans. 

Anyhow, the national anthem (of the US or any other country)  can't be offended.  It's a thing.  Only people can get offended.  ......and it's usually stupid ego-filled people like religionists or people like Trump/Pence who wrap themselves in the flag - in order to create divisions.   

9 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Next week, Pence can do the same protest:  Except he can release a video (of what he did this week).  He will therefore save half a million $$'s.   He can send it as personal check to me.  I'll put it to good use - maybe make a stick sculpture of Trump - so I can burn it down.

BTW, did Pence leave before the Nat'l anthem finished playing?  If so, he disrespected the anthem (if it's possible to do such a thing).

on a side note:  Islamists often bellyache about some heathen 'offending religion.'  They should know that religion is a thing, and can't be offended.  Only people can be offended.  Not even animals can get offended.  Perhaps that makes animals superior to humans. 

Anyhow, the national anthem (of the US or any other country)  can't be offended.  It's a thing.  Only people can get offended.  ......and it's usually stupid ego-filled people like religionists or people like Trump/Pence who wrap themselves in the flag - in order to create divisions.   

Taps is another song from 1862 in America that people stand for,  The buglers of The United States Army Band "Pershing's Own" perform over 5000 missions a year in Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, VA.  I could have put a video of the National Anthem as well but got some bad news about an hour ago and was thinking of taps. Taps is only a song. 

Edited by amvet

10 hours ago, Mansell said:

When you point your finger and call them "morons" look at your other three fingers pointing back at yourself......If you are an American and you don't get what they are protesting, then you look as stupid as the picture of Trump you are using. It is a fact that police violence towards blacks is out of control across the country. All you have to do is look at the amount of blacks being shot, many times with no provocation, and many times the police are being exonerated. I have a friend in Santa Monica with a black son, she is white, and she has to deal all the time with him being stopped by the police for no reason, other than he is black. Her biggest concern is him being shot just for his color. I am guessing you are white with no experience of what I am talking about. You can keep your head in the sand about this issue, but at some point you need to either wake up or educate yourself, and stop using blanket statements about a group of people being morons, especially as you know none of them personally.

There is a time and place for protest.Disrespecting the flag and the Anthem because of social injustice is misguided.

Mr. Player, Please go to Chicago,St Louis and KC and set up town hall's with the police and the communities to set up a discussion on how to "be".

When I think about National Anthems this is what I think of - it's a scene from my favorite movie.  Probably unknown to the young football players and if known the meaning probably lost on them but I was born during WWII.

To comment on the *other* point that President Trump recently made about the NFL =====>

Trump (Owner of USFL Team The New Jersey Generals 1984-1986) : "The NFL ratings are down massively. Now the number one reason happens to be they like watching what's happening ... with yours truly. They like what's happening. Because you know today if you hit too hard — 15 yards ! Throw him out of the game ! They had that last week. I watched for a couple of minutes. Two guys, just really beautiful tackle. Boom, 15 yards ! The Referee gets on television, his wife is sitting at home, she's so proud of him. They're ruining the game ! They're ruining the game. That's what they want to do. They want to hit ! It is hurting the game."

To cut down on concussion rates, the NFL moved kickoffs to the 35-yard-line and later moved the starting point for a touchback (when the kickoff is downed in the end zone instead of returned) from the 20-yard-line to the 25. These modifications were intended to cut down on kickoff returns, which are particularly dangerous since players build up speed as they run at each other from across the field. The NFL has also banned hits that use the top of the helmet as a weapon, and prioritized the enforcement of rules against hits targeting the head.

The CDC reports that concussions negatively affect memory, reasoning, sight, balance, and language abilities. They can be linked to depression, anxiety, aggression, personality changes, and an increased risk of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and other brain disorders. Repeated brain injuries can be "catastrophic or fatal" if they happen in a short period of time, according to the CDC.

9 hours ago, amvet said:

I didn't know How the NFL Fleeces Taxpayers was the topic.  But to help your new thread here's a link.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/how-the-nfl-fleeces-taxpayers/309448/

Yup, I  read that fact sheet . Sad! I have a sneaky suspicion that VP Pence's wife will be burning her Colt's Tee Shirt shortly .

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This flag, anthem, military, hyper nationalism thing is getting out of hand. Like a fetish. While real stuff gets neglected. 

I'm in 100% agreement with you and glad the guy who started it all is out of a job this season maybe the other players and owners will get the hint.

9 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

some places NEED cops...funny you don't see the

players protesting this:

Chicago has suffered 503 gun homicides so far in 2017. With a population of over 2.7 million, the gun homicide rate is at just over 18 people per 100,000 residents.

Baltimore, however, has suffered 275 gun homicides with a population of just over 621,000, putting the homicide rate at more than 44 per 100,000.

The city is on track to break its all-time murder record originally set in 1992, when Baltimore had 100,000 more residents.

Good point. Can you back that up?