Thai Public Health Min to consider legal action against convenience stores for selling draft beer

webfact

Public health ministry to consider legal action against convenience stores

By Thai PBS

0910006.jpg

The Ministry of Public Health will meet tomorrow to consider taking legal action against convenience stores for selling draft beer.

The ministry’s Office of Alcohol Control Committee director Dr Niphon Chinannonthavej said on Monday that the committee will look into legal action against the convenience stores regarding the Alcohol Control Act 2008.

He said the meeting will be chaired by Dr Vitoon Ungpraphan. He said selling of draft beer by the convenience store is similar to keg beer selling abroad, but never exists in the country before.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/public-health-ministry-consider-legal-action-convenience-stores/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-09

Convenience store chain urged to halt draught beer sales

By The Nation

fd1ef6c2de34ab59919f4054ab2235d7.jpg

Public Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn on Monday urged a large convenience store chain not to sell draught beer.

“The sales won’t generate a huge income but will cause many negative impacts,” he said. 

He did not identify the chain. 

However, some social-media posts have revealed that draught-beer machines have already disappeared from some 7-Eleven outlets. 

Piyasakol said alcohol consumption was a cause of several health problems. 

“We haven’t found any sale of draught beer at convenience stores in foreign countries,” he said. 

He added that the Disease Control Department was also looking into whether the sale was a violation of the Alcohol Beverage Control Act. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30328870

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-10

Selling beer on tap provides easy access to health risk drink: Minister

By Thai PBS

F5836895-1BA2-42F5-87C4-16147DCA583E.jpe

Convenience stores should not sell draught beer on tap as doing so provides an easy access to an alcoholic drink hazardous to health regardless of legality, Public Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn said on Monday (Oct 9).

Dr Piyasakol said this ahead of a meeting of the a subcommittee on the Alcoholic Control Act of 2008 scheduled for Oct 10 to consider whether sale of draught beer on tap at convenience stores is illegal.

Regardless of the legality, selling beer on tap at convenience stores provides an easier access to an alcoholic drink which is a health risk, he said.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/selling-beer-tap-provides-easy-access-health-risk-drink-minister/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-10

yeah just walk over to the fridge a few feet away and order .................................beer

what complete tosh, check this guys bank account and see just exactly if it is all prim and proper

if this is a government agency making these statements you have got to ask what value the tax payer is actually getting for the assumed high salaries............................nothing

I don't have an opinion either way about selling draft beer from 7/11 but I cannot think of anything reasonable to say why not...............it might all be gone by the time I get home...........better in a can or bottle lol

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Convenience stores should not sell draught beer on tap as doing so provides an easy access to an alcoholic drink hazardous to health regardless of legality,

So we can expect a nationwide ban on the sale of cigarettes ?

Oops, I was forgetting about the tax revenues!

I thought the other day that the DDC had said it was not illegal as long as the staff, and not customers dispensed the drink. Left hand - Right hand.......:blink:

I also read that a chain of stores in Coralville Iowa is already dispensing beers, so Thailand 7 - 11 is not the first...

You can be sure that the empty beer can will be picked up and recycled.  Thus the world is a bit cleaner and some poverty can collector has another penny in his pocket: a double win.

The big plastic cup will be tossed onto the side of the road and left for all time to litter the  highway.

In China beer could be easily found on street corners dispensed into tough one liter plastic bags, straight from the keg.  I recall paying about 5 yuan per liter.  Carry the bag home but then the hard part: pouring liquid beer from a bag.  Or put the entire bag into a tub and use a straw.

26 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

You can be sure that the empty beer can will be picked up and recycled.  Thus the world is a bit cleaner and some poverty can collector has another penny in his pocket: a double win.

The big plastic cup will be tossed onto the side of the road and left for all time to litter the  highway.

In China beer could be easily found on street corners dispensed into tough one liter plastic bags, straight from the keg.  I recall paying about 5 yuan per liter.  Carry the bag home but then the hard part: pouring liquid beer from a bag.  Or put the entire bag into a tub and use a straw.

and you didn't take a video ????????

all jokes aside, I agree with the previous poster that selling beer in plastic cups is probably not a great idea in terms of the litter aspect and the current war on plastics in general.....bio friendly paper cups no problem.

Slightly OT, We should all be grateful of 7/11 and Family Mart, they have been a great stake in the ground when it comes to pricing of stuff, I dread to think were we'd be at if it wasn't for them (Nationwide) setting pretty much the base standard price for a lot of stuff, they want to sell draft beer - so what  

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Selling beer on tap provides easy access to health risk drink: Minister

By Thai PBS

F5836895-1BA2-42F5-87C4-16147DCA583E.jpe

Convenience stores should not sell draught beer on tap as doing so provides an easy access to an alcoholic drink hazardous to health regardless of legality, Public Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn said on Monday (Oct 9).

Dr Piyasakol said this ahead of a meeting of the a subcommittee on the Alcoholic Control Act of 2008 scheduled for Oct 10 to consider whether sale of draught beer on tap at convenience stores is illegal.

Regardless of the legality, selling beer on tap at convenience stores provides an easier access to an alcoholic drink which is a health risk, he said.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/selling-beer-tap-provides-easy-access-health-risk-drink-minister/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-10

The Public Health Minister's time would be better spent removing cockroachs and flea-ridden hungry soi dogs from all eating establishments! I wonder whose best interests he thinks he's serving by this draught beer ban?

Yeah, something is fishy about this. Who believes that buying it in a cup is that much more convenient? Somebody has been paid to quash competition maybe.
I was intrigued to see a coin operated draft beer machine in Hong Kong airport. I was tempted by the novelty, but had no local coins. :smile:

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

What's the difference between buying it in a can or a plastic cup

Indeed. I just don't get it.

In fact a can is easier to get hold of, anywhere in the country, every corner mom 'n pop shop sells cans of beer.

Plus, draught / keg beer here is generally as weak as pi$$, less alcohol content than local brewed bottles/cans.

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

What's the difference between buying it in a can or a plastic cup

The draft beer is better :tongue:

Almost all draft beer is unpasteurized demanding immediate service and proper storage to avoid spoilage. The upside is that the beer likely has more delicate flavours and aromas left intact than the pasteurized version found in cans or bottles, as pasteurization can negatively affect flavour.

Edited by Tchooptip

19 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Wouldn't have much to do with beating Thai Bev to the task??

19 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Whose beer were they selling as draught then? Singha?

It looks like "Leo"

It is good to know that the investment in those monthly "consultancy fees" has not been wasted...

9 hours ago, webfact said:

I recall reading that beer is actually much healthier than most of the sugary drinks commonly sold in stores. Shall we ban those first?

20 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Who or what is a John Lofting and why would he disagree? Pardon my ignornace.

Maker of draft beer.:sleep:

The beer engine was invented by John Lofting, a Dutch inventor, merchant and manufacturer who moved from Amsterdam to London in about 1688 and patented a number of inventions including a fire hose and engine for extinguishing fires and a thimble knurling machine. The London Gazette of 17 March 1691 stated "the patentee hath also projected a very useful engine for starting of beers and other liquors which will deliver from 20 to 30 barrels an hour which are completely fixed with brass joints and screws at reasonable rates."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_engine

Edited by BangkokNicky