Thailand's goal is to become a 'developed' country within 20 years

webfact

Goal is to become a 'developed' country within 20 years

By   THE NATION 

8ad6dde72a0c38caac6f822e3edd2c99.jpg

Porametee

IN THE NEXT 30 years, THE THAI economy is targeted to expand by 4-5 percent per annum over the next 30 years, according to National Economic and Social Development Board.

NESDB’s secretary-general Porametee Vimolsiri told Krungthep Turakij newspaper that Thailand that a key target of the 20-year national strategic framework (2017-2036) was for the Kingdom to grow to the status of a “developed country”. A narrowing in wealth inequality and income were also included.

“According to the target, if the economy grows 5 percent in a period of 20 to 30 years, we will be upgraded to the group of high-income countries. Other countries like Vietnam will be grouped to medium to high growth. Myanmar and Laos will move into middle-income countries. Our country and Indonesia will rise to become high-income countries like Singapore,” he said.

Challenges for national development, particularly over the next five years, do not only exist in economic growth, but also in achieving narrower economic and social inequality to solve Thailand’s prolonged structural problems, he said. 

He said that if Thailand could narrow financial inequality over the next 30 years, so that most people enjoy a medium-level income, people’s consumption and spending will increase. During the same period of time, major changes are likely to be seen in manufacturing and new services extended from existing economic activities.

As generally said, the targeted industries - as extensions of the existing production base or so-called New S Curve, span from electric vehicle production to new products such as solar cells and renewable energy. Therefore, changes will become more obvious during the first five years of the national strategic plan or the 12th NESDB plan. This is in line with global changes and the needs of the nation’s economic development. Businesses will be directed towards digital technology, while usage and transactions and activities will trend more online.

Another challenge for the country’s economy is that over the next 30 years most people will be elderly and Thai society will become an ageing society. In the next 20 years or by 2037, Thailand will enter a period of peak ageing, meaning that more than 30 per cent of the population will be elderly and the workforce will shrink. One solution is to boost labour efficiency, particularly in manufacturing. 

One solution is education reform to allow people to learn about technologies which will form the basis of people’s work in the next decade.

“Thailand is not losing its advantages or lagging behind her regional peers,” Porametee said. “However, several countries are chasing us. So, we must speed up, particularly in relation to enhancing our skills in digital technology and languages. More technology will be needed in the 21st Century and will link societies. Learning must continue throughout your lifetime and subjects to be studied must focus more on creative thinking and multi skills.”

Porametee said that NESDB’s main role may not change much in the next 30 years, when it will still act as an agency to plan and drive government policy, supporting development and the long-term national agenda. Both short-term and urgent problems must be resolved with the Prime Minister and the Cabinet in order to find solutions through efficient policies.

What will change for NESDB will be in the procedures it adopts to cope with global situations and rapidly changing conditions. A key issue will be how to plan for long-term national development, such as the 20-year national strategy in relation to disruptive technology in industry. This will be an economic challenge for the country. Meanwhile, Thailand’s economy, ageing population and general health must be adjusted to develop together harmoniously in every aspect.

“Aside from its existing work with the government and its five-year development plan, NESDB’s responsibilities will be extended to long-term development plan,” Porametee said. “For example, there will be the population structure and an energy plan which will need to cope with reforms and national strategies. This is the hope for the nation’s economic development in the long term.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Economy/30328881

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-10

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, kotsak said:

Spilled my coffee by just reading the title, couldn't dare reading the article..

The usual bs of course...

But we need submarines for 1 billion us$ which is much more important than good public buses. Only then will Thailand become lich.

12 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Try adding a zero to that one. :cheesy:

Get tired of that. 

In British English, a billion used to be equivalent to a million million (i.e. 1,000,000,000,000), while in American English it has always equated to a thousand million (i.e. 1,000,000,000). British English has now adopted the American figure, though, so that a billion equals a thousand million in both varieties of English.

Well i mean a miljard euro for the subs.....you figure out how much that is.

Edited by Thian

3 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Staging coups and overthrowing elected governments every few years and then raiding the jar to buy military toys that just rust away isnt going to help.

A government which buys millions of votes is not elected democratically sir...in other words: it's illegal....

Thailand is 60 years from being a developed nation.  It is mediaeval in its thinking allowing Hi-sos to lord it over the serfs.  The rule of law is barely implemented and then only selectively.  Thai police are the nouveau-riche.  Packs of wild dogs roam unchecked.  
The daily slaughter on the roads continues unabated.  There is little effective education unless you are rich and live in a city.

This man's delusional thinking is typical of the ruling classes.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“According to the target, if the economy grows 5 percent in a period of 20 to 30 years, we will be upgraded to the group of high-income countries.

According to my target, if I pick the correct lottery numbers three times in the next 20 or 30 years, I won't have to work again and will be upgraded to a 'HiSo'.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

Get tired of that. 

In British English, a billion used to be equivalent to a million million (i.e. 1,000,000,000,000), while in American English it has always equated to a thousand million (i.e. 1,000,000,000). British English has now adopted the American figure, though, so that a billion equals a thousand million in both varieties of English.

I am not sure what you are trying to say? I was speculating about adding a zero to the 20 years.

Anyway, off course it horrible to see what they spend the money on, when they have a country full of people that lives on way below minimum living standards

Edited by Get Real

A very immature prediction......20 years is nothing....

While education in Thailand continually suffers from declining standards, it's neighbours are performing and forging ahead...

Thailand 4 is a distant fantasy...no-one can trust much about Thailand" e-commerce businesses....

18 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

Remove and jail the military generals and there may be a slim chance otherwise its getting further away.

Why?  They're just the public face of the real power- $$$.  Perhaps a dozen families that keep Thailand's masses poorly educated, compliant, and subservient.

Just like elected officials don't hold the real power.

Edited by impulse

19 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

Remove and jail the military generals and there may be a slim chance otherwise its getting further away.

I see a lot of embassy getting involved with Thai human rights activists these days even funding they are supposedly not allowed to do that .. its amazing when a citizens gets in trouble with local laws they don't wish to know it's amazing how they change the record to suit them ... 

The notion that Thailand will enter the fully-developed countries just can't be taken seriously.  Japan, S. Korea, and Taiwan manufacture and export high-value products that can compete on the international market.  Japan and S. Korea rank fourth and fifth for exports.  Taiwan is fifteenth while Thailand is number twenty-two.  However, the exports of the NE Asian countries are high-value manufactures while Thailand's exports are agriculture.  This is not by accident.  In the Park Chung-hee era S. Korea permitted Japan to build factories there, but insisted on technology transfer enabling the eventual creation of Korean companies manufacturing autos and pianos of sufficient quality to compete on the international market.  After initially following the Japanese examples the Koreans developed their own technology and became global leaders in flat screen tvs and LPG tankers. 

Despite thirty years or so of making hard disk drives and autos for foreign companies there is no Thai company manufacturing and exporting either hard drives or autos.  No foreign companies have set up R&D centers in Thailand as Microsoft and IBM have done in India.  There is no Thai company that international recognition like Samsung or Toyota, nor is there any Thai designed export product with any global recognition.

The Thai development model is to rent out its labor cheaply to foreign companies.  This model has in fact worked very well to bring Thailand to its current level of development, but without high-value exports and technological innovation Thailand will remain stuck in the middle-income trap.  This is true, because the vested interests in Thailand are quite satisfied with the status quo, which is a local economy divided into monopolies and duopolies controlled by Thai interests.  They have not been interested in trying to export into the competitive global market. By far the largest Thai exporter is Charoen Pokphand, a producer of food products.

Thailand, like the other SE Asian countries, but unlike the countries of NE Asia, lacks a military incentive to develop its economy since it has no reason to fear invasion by its neighbors.  The economic leaps achieved by Meiji Japan, the S. Korea of Park Chung-hee, and Taiwan after the Communist Revolution were driven by exactly this motivation.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

NESDB’s secretary-general Porametee Vimolsiri told Krungthep Turakij newspaper that Thailand that a key target of the 20-year national strategic framework (2017-2036) was for the Kingdom to grow to the status of a “developed country”.

That would be fantastic! Then they could replace Brazil and turn BRICS into TRICS.

10 minutes ago, johng said:

You realise of course that both political sides gave voting "incentives" one side consistently wins elections the other side loses then calls for a coup.

So also you didn't understand who called for the coup??

We're not allowed to discuss the subject in Thailand....

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Get tired of that. 

It is not the American figure, it was the original French one, and America also used the long scale billion until the 19th century before adopting the French short scale, the UK adopted the short scale back in 1974 having already seen it in use within technical writing since the 1950's, so probably time to get over it already. And I think most people will be familiar with milliard, it being the word for a billion in most of Europe.

“According to the target, if the economy grows 5 percent in a period of 20 to 30 years, we will be upgraded to the group of high-income countries

According to some guys, Thailand would become the educational hub, but it never happened and it never will.