Hundreds of share-bikes taken home by renters

webfact

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, wump said:

And why couldn't they just use a company like well-known ad firm JCDecaux who do bike hire all over the world and have great success in cites like Brisbane? Probably minimal start-up and operating costs (due to later revenue from renters and advertising on the bikes) and an experienced partner who knows who to have users register etc.

Quite possibly - burt I think ay company would need to adjust to doing this sort of business in Thailand where the whole market and demographics are quite unusual.

My son and I just used a couple of these bikes at the big park next to Phuket town, FYI, it seems to be one bike per mobile phone, the apps used to unlock the bike, we had a good ride then put the bikes back where we got them from, a pity there's so many idiots that'llt'l stuff it up for others, not just in Thailand.

On 10/10/2017 at 6:39 PM, stevenl said:

I think a good chance of it being a commercial success. But the present trial where people can just take and return whenever they please will of course not work. People have to register beforehand and pay a deposit.

Yes, it will be a commercial success. More bikes will need to be made therefore more paid employment! That is some form of 'commercial success'? :whistling:  :thumbsup:

Was just trying to think outside the square. :jap:

On 10/10/2017 at 4:56 PM, DoctorG said:

haha! Free bikes with no record of who has them. What could possibly go wrong?

There is a record of who last used them, you need to unlock them via an app on your phone, one bike per phone only.

On 10/10/2017 at 2:09 PM, LivinginKata said:

Zero chance of this being a commercial success. Be all finished in a couple of months.

It didn't even work in China, where people are not using them much, at least not in Shenzhen. Instead, all the bikes can regularly be seen toppled over and lying on the ground, blocking people's way on the sidewalk. Why they even introduced it here evades me.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

• 2 weeks later...

Why didn't they pop a GPS chip in them?
Or didn't the person that gets overpaid for coming up with stupid ideas think of that?
I think they did hide a GPS chip on them as they have knowledge that some are over 40 kms away.

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk

In my former city, you had to use a credit card to rent a bike. They would put a hold for the replacement amount on your card and if the bike isn't returned, you've bought it. That's the only way to urge people to return the bikes in a timely manner and to the correct location.
Same here in NYC...

We just back from China Beijing and Shanghai, both cities got share bikes, funng gd said if this in Thailand they be stolen for sure, now we back and this news, I showed to her dhe was laughing. But hey its not that funny, shows you where we stand. Chinese do good use of them there. They use wechap app to pay and unlock it, bikes on every corner. Shame on you thais.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I think we all know where Beijing and Shanghai are.

Hundreds of share-bikes taken home by renters
“What we are really worried about the most is the group of people that are taking the bikes home - that number has now reached more than a hundred bikes."
By Nattha Thepbamrung and Kritsada Mueanhawong

22361341_10209723024778005_1326453117_n.jpg&key=9068444576b79909c11a4a90586139855f4ce601c3ffaff8cecc12d5b37f2bcd

Despite excellent feedback on the share-bike initiative and more than a thousand users per day, the share-bike project is suffering from renters who think that the bikes are “giveaways from the government”. Many users have taken the bike back home and using it as a personal belonging. Some of them have even brought their pick-ups and motor-tricycle (samlor) to take the bikes home.

The General Manager of Ofo Thailand, Noppadon Tujinda, says that the incidents might happen from either selfishness or misunderstanding that the bikes are given away for free.

“I would like to remind people that the bikes are for public use. It is free of charge to use for the first month and this promotion will last until the end of this month. After October 31, there will be a small rental fee and the bikes can be used for point-to-point transport. Apart from the 6 bikes dumped in the canal, we also found that there are some people using the bikes 30-40 kilometres away from the intended locations and rental spots,” he said.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/hundreds-share-bikes-taken-home-renters
  pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg&key=c4f7341fa7b118ed7740b2b93cb82f4087ddbc5ff5658d0bc364253b69958322 -- [emoji767] Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-10-10
Yay YAY!!!