Extending a single entry non o in Chiang Mai

Bit of background first. Married to a Thai and rent a house in Chiang Mai. Was just wondering what paperwork is required to extend a single entry non o visa for 30 days. Think I've got most things covered, have copy of lease etc, but may struggle when it comes to getting other documentation from owner as they live abroad. Appreciate any advice on the subject.

Kindest regards

You can't get a 30 day extension. That's only available for tourists.

You can get a 60 day extension to visit your wife. You're wife will need to be with you when you apply. You'll need the originals and copies of your marriage certificate, wife's house book and ID, and copies of your passport/departure card. It would be worth checking with CM immigration about the proof of address/landlord requirements. 

• 1 month later...

Well guys, went to Immigration Chiang Mai to see exactly what i will need to extend my 90 non O for a further 60 days, turns out things aren't as straight forward as I thought. They require a signed embassy letter confirming income, photos of whole family at address, hand drawn map and a whole raft of other stuff. This being the case I may as well leave the country and re-enter.

Can a do a 30 day on arrival (not done this for a few years), or am I best going for a single entry tourist visa (again not had one of these for a few years)

Plus, where's by best options to travel to? As always, appreciate the helpful insights of those in the know.

Regards

I think they may of misunderstood what you wanted. Those are the requirements for a one year extension based upon marriage.

From the immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_24

In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality:

Criteria for Consideration

(1) There must be proof of relationship.
(2) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto.

Documents to be submitted

1. Application form
2. Copy of applicant’s passport
3. Copy of household registration certificate
4. Copy of national ID card of the person having Thai nationality
5. Copy of a marriage certificate or copy of a birth certificate

29 minutes ago, powerofthepen said:

Well guys, went to Immigration Chiang Mai to see exactly what i will need to extend my 90 non O for a further 60 days, turns out things aren't as straight forward as I thought. They require a signed embassy letter confirming income, photos of whole family at address, hand drawn map and a whole raft of other stuff. This being the case I may as well leave the country and re-enter.

Can a do a 30 day on arrival (not done this for a few years), or am I best going for a single entry tourist visa (again not had one of these for a few years)

Plus, where's by best options to travel to? As always, appreciate the helpful insights of those in the know.

Regards

You can go up to Masai and cross to Myanmar and come back on a 30 day Visa exempt stamp, extendable for a further 30 days (BTW, which PP do you have ? Are you eligible to get a VES)

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think they may of misunderstood what you wanted. Those are the requirements for a one year extension based upon marriage.

From the immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_24

Well I did wonder if that might be the case. Basically my visa runs out 30 days before I'm due to go home and just wanted to extend to cover my stay, but they seemed to turn it into a big deal.

7 minutes ago, powerofthepen said:

Well I did wonder if that might be the case. Basically my visa runs out 30 days before I'm due to go home and just wanted to extend to cover my stay, but they seemed to turn it into a big deal.

You should try again. If you open the webpage I posted a link to you can change it to Thai.

This is the 2nd case, recently, of someone requesting 60-days extension for "visit wife/family" and being asked to show money as if applying for a 1-year extension.  Hopefully, just a coincidence of mixed-terminology / confusion.  Here's the other reported instance - at Rayong (though primary thread was Jomtien):

Edited by JackThompson

2 hours ago, powerofthepen said:

Thanks for the information and you're right, what's required is plain to see on the website, problem is 3 different people quoted me the wrong information. I may well just go to Mae Sai as I'm not sure I can face going through all that again. Thanks once again :)

Could be/probably is just a mis-understanding.

If you make it clear by saying 60 days to stay with wife and don't mention or your wife doesn't mention the word extension it's quite quick and painless.

I'll post a photo of what they put in your passport and it may help.

Ang on a mo.:smile:

20171111_154446.jpg

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2017 at 4:49 AM, elviajero said:

You can't get a 30 day extension. That's only available for tourists.

You can get a 60 day extension to visit your wife. You're wife will need to be with you when you apply. You'll need the originals and copies of your marriage certificate, wife's house book and ID, and copies of your passport/departure card. It would be worth checking with CM immigration about the proof of address/landlord requirements. 

This is and isn't true.  I have gotten a few extensions for "visiting the wife" via Chiangmai Immigration (prior to my Non O) and they would only give 30 day extensions .... on my tourist visa.  Even though visiting the wife is supposed to be a 60 day extension.

2 hours ago, kurtmartens said:

This is and isn't true.  I have gotten a few extensions for "visiting the wife" via Chiangmai Immigration (prior to my Non O) and they would only give 30 day extensions .... on my tourist visa.  Even though visiting the wife is supposed to be a 60 day extension.

It sounds like they were avoiding the extra work of doing a "visit wife" extension, and just giving you a "tourist" extension, instead.  But if you had a Non-O Visa, they could not give you a 30-day extension, so would have to issue the 60 day one.

• Like 1