Terror as lift plunges from fourth floor to ground injuring 14 department store staff

webfact

Terror as lift plunges from fourth floor to ground injuring 14 department store staff

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Fourteen staff of a well known department store were taken to hospital after a lift at some Laem Chabang offices plunged from the fourth floor to the ground.

The accident happened at a building opposite the Laem Chabang port on Sukhumvit Road leading in the direction of Pattaya.

Police and foundation medics on the scene treated the victims before they were taken to Phayathai Hospital in Sri Racha after the accident around 1pm Wednesday.

One was named as Prakorp, 37, who had a left leg injury while Jakkrit and 12 others suffered bruising.

Jakkrit told Sanook that he and his colleagues were going from the first floor to the fifth when the lift developed problems at the fourth floor then fell to the ground.

Police are investigating.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-12

Life in LOS is a lottery anyway. I never assume a simple trip to the supermarket or mall will not turn to poo. Every time I drove on the roads I never assumed I'd reach the other end without incident. Just been lucky most times, but not all.

Even in my room, every shower is a gamble that the water heater was wired up properly.

59 minutes ago, trogers said:

All because there is no legislation to ensure elevators are inspected and certified fit for use, like vehicles on the roads...

Is there such a legislation for cars then?

Didn't know that, because every day I see cars and trucks and even tour buses on the road with lots of issues.

Many even with no tail or head lights mounted

1 hour ago, trogers said:

All because there is no legislation to ensure elevators are inspected and certified fit for use, like vehicles on the roads...

exactly because that sort of thing costs money and organisation, the only exception is when it concerns something that is controlled from outside Thailand - like the Aircraft industry were they have no choice but to comply.

People here are more interested in lining their pockets than standards and until corruption is tackled this sort of thing will continue, it has become very clear these last 3 years just exactly how much money is stolen from the public purse as more and more cases are hitting the headlines - it is billions and billions of baht, people are just enriching themselves and up until now there was nothing to stop them

I knew there was serious corruption here but I honestly never thought it was as bad as it is, and yes corruption is related to implementing standards simply because there is no money for funding the infrastructure for standards.....well there is but it will end up in someones pocket 

Usually, there are 3 types of braking systems...2 on the cables and then the counterweights....some systems may differ.

In a separate incident, that happened just last week in BKK.....the elevator plunged.

Main fault is usually service people forgetting to reset the electronics after they finish work.....obviously, they don't have a checklist!

I live while in BKK  on 31st floor of a Condo. The lifts I believe are Japanese and they appear to be checked and serviced.  Maybe it's part of the Condo's regulations? I find it hard to believe there are no lift service contracts in operation in BKK

3 hours ago, trogers said:

I do believe that lifts are not bought in Thailand , they are just hired from the elevator company and its down to them to carry out maintenance 

44 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do believe that lifts are not bought in Thailand , they are just hired from the elevator company and its down to them to carry out maintenance 

As far as I know this is standard procedure all over the world...It is in Australia...Outis comes to mind, Big company.

58 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Nope. My over 30 years old condo building just purchased and replaced the elevators with a 2-year service contract.

So where is the smart moneyon exactly how many passengers the lift was supposed to transport?    And, why didn't the emergency auto brakes work?   Questions such as every budding Jimmy Olsen or Clark Kent should ask for the benefit of us curious readers im Thailand.  And so often such obvious questions are not asked   Ah, TIT!  Never mind there will be another accident somewhere else in the LOS tomorrow that we imagine is impossible to happen, and everyone will forget about this one today.

Thai lifts do have safety certificates. Check the walls next time you're in one. Whether the check is more than a glance and an "Okay" is another matter of course. This is the second lift plunge in about a month or so. Being in one that is in freefall is my biggest nightmare. There's nothing you can do and there's a very good chance of not surviving it.

5 hours ago, trogers said:

All because there is no legislation to ensure elevators are inspected and certified fit for use,

Nonsense , there are maintenance and service contracts for elevators in Thailand.  The few accidents that do happen here is caused by service men that forget something , like installing the automatic switch for the brakes etc. 

29 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thai lifts do have safety certificates. Check the walls next time you're in one. Whether the check is more than a glance and an "Okay" is another matter of course. This is the second lift plunge in about a month or so. Being in one that is in freefall is my biggest nightmare. There's nothing you can do and there's a very good chance of not surviving it.

If you jump up and down, you would stand a 50% chance of survival

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thai lifts do have safety certificates. Check the walls next time you're in one. Whether the check is more than a glance and an "Okay" is another matter of course.

Yes, regular inspections and certification are indeed required. How good the inspections are is anyone's guess as you point out.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

I dont know if it applies to all lifts in all buildings, but certainly it is common for lifts to be sold here. This is for lifts from both Thai companies and foreign ones. All our lifts belong to us.

A lift usually comes with a limited warranty that covers the first year and renewable maintenance contracts can be purchased after that time. In fact I would go so far as to say that all lift manufacturers I know of deliberately avoid having any long-term responsibility for the condition or maintenance of their products here.