Advice needed for a trip to Angkor Wat

bdenner

Sorry if this is not the correct Forum to place this thread.

We intend to spend a few days in Siem Reap, taking in the sights, crossing the boarder at Aranyaprathet-Poipet. As such I  have a few questions:-

1. Is there long term parking facilities near the Aranyaprathet Immigration office (similar to Nong Khai)?

2. I read where there are only 3 busses run to Siem Reap daily with VERY loose schedules, how much do the taxis charge to do the 150km run?

3. Is Thai Baht an acceptable form of currency in that region of Cambodia (similar to Laos/Vientienne)?

4. Can I get a Re-Entry Permit at Aranyaprathet Immigration?

There may be more as I go through the planning stages.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by bdenner
Typo

1. yes ,100 baht /day secured parking on the right side 200 meters before the border.

2.not sure about bus's, but taxi's run all day for $25-40 (2-2 1/2 hours)

3.Thai Baht ONLY in Poi Pet, in SR ( and the rest of the country) you want US$$$

4. not sure

5. visa on arrival for Cambodia is $30  DON'T talk to anyone or allow anyone to tell you otherwise or suggest to help you. (it will cost ya  :-) )

Edited by phuketrichard

My Thai wife and I went to Ankor Wat last year and stayed for 4 nights. The USD is used everywhere. I made the mistake of changing some Thai Baht at the airport in Siem Reap. Big mistake. Stayed at Raffles and loved it. Two days touring the temples on our own. No tour group. Highly recommend the trip and the hotel. Have fun.

I wouldn't pay in Thai Baht anywhere in Cambodia, even in Poipet you pay in Riel:They might quote prices in Baht,lets say something you buy in a market is a 100 Baht, often you can pay either 10000 Riel or which is substantially more 100 Baht for that item.But money changers in Poipet and in Sisophon will give you an excellent Rate for the Thai Baht, much better than the one in  Siem Reap.

Thank you all guys much appreciated. Very useful information.

Didn't consider the flying option until seen here, can leave the car at Udon Thani Airport and get my Re Entry Permit at Swampy. Just been on the Bangkok Airways WEB site to see 5 flights daily to Siem Reap - quite cheap. Now that will be my preferred option.

Can I assume Visa on Arrival is available for both Farang and Thai Nationals (with passport)?

Thanks again

Really nice airport in Siem Reap. Angkor Style new terminal buildings. Low key and very relaxed. Immigration and visa on arrival for both of you is seamless. So much nicer than T’land. We took Bangkok Airways from Phuket - Don Muang - Siem Reap - Return. Leave the car at home and let someone else drive....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It is recommended you need to bring photos for the Cambodian visa. However, last year when I "flew" in, I forgot the photos and was charged $2. USD (approx 60 baht) for them which I think was a pretty good deal!  Besides the visa charges, keep in mind you will have to pay $20. to enter Angkor Wat.  And all currency is in US $$$$.  Good luck and enjoy....I did!

4 minutes ago, pattayadon said:

It is recommended you need to bring photos for the Cambodian visa. However, last year when I "flew" in, I forgot the photos and was charged $2. USD (approx 60 baht) for them which I think was a pretty good deal!  Besides the visa charges, keep in mind you will have to pay $20. to enter Angkor Wat.  And all currency is in US $$$$.  Good luck and enjoy....I did!

No photos required, they take your picture.

It is now $37 per day,

2 hours ago, bdenner said:

Thank you all guys much appreciated. Very useful information.

Didn't consider the flying option until seen here, can leave the car at Udon Thani Airport and get my Re Entry Permit at Swampy. Just been on the Bangkok Airways WEB site to see 5 flights daily to Siem Reap - quite cheap. Now that will be my preferred option.

Can I assume Visa on Arrival is available for both Farang and Thai Nationals (with passport)?

Thanks again

Thai nationals only need a passport with 6 months validity. No visa required, 15 days allowed I believe.

Arrange an e-visa online. Costs a bit more but you are good to go on arrival

Bdenner,

I do this trip regularly to Siem reap. The cheapest way is to fly Air Asia from Don Muang airport to Siem reap. Do they have Air Asia from Udon to Don Muang , I am unsure? That would. be ideal for you provided flight times were compatible.

Looking at money again, Cambodia Angkor air fly from Suvaranabhim airport so that may be an option cheaper than Bangkok airways. A Thai national needs no visa for CAMBODIA as their passport gives them 15 days at the airport. you can get your visa on arrival but you need to be quick off the plane or be stuck in a queue behind your fellow travellers! A visa online is available for an extra $7 USD and saves the messing around at airport and you don't get a full page in your passport wasted with a stick in full page visa. Online, you will be stamped in and out of the airport and the visa is kept with the passport with a staple.

Angkor Wat prices have increased and they are slightly fussy these days about dress code. Smart casual. Wear good solid footwear or training shoes, ( not flip flops ) as there are lots of loose stones. Ladies need to cover shoulders and dress modestly. I think it's about $37 USD for day, three day passes are available nowadays to enter the temple sites, but unless you are really into it, one day is enough.

The currency everywhere is USD. You. can change Rhai baht at a good rate at the Chinese exchanges in the market which have the rates displayed electronically, they are decent as a rule.

I WOULD NEVER EVER AGAIN GO THROUGH POIPET / ARANYAPRATHET BORDER. FULL OF LIARS, CHEATS, THIEVES, GANGSTERS, AND VAGABONDS WANTING TO CHEAT YOU AT EVERY TURN..

Even the taxis to Siem reap can be white knuckle rides with poorly maintained cars and god knows if they have insurance.

Great hotels in Siem reap if you choose wisely, Khmer Mansion at Sok San road or Royal Crown hotel and spa are both reasonably priced, clean, value for money and you can walk to pub street.

You can book your Angkor Wat trip with tuk tuk guys on the street or PM me, I know loads. They charge about $25 for the whole day from dawn to dusk.A great idea is to visit, if you have time, the National museum where you can get a flavour and walk through with headsets in multi languages of what the temples are all about and what to look out for. It's a half day excursion but it will really enlighten you regards the Angkor period.

Have a great time.

Special thank you to Scouse for your input.

Air Asia does operate out of Udon but not my "flavor of the month" these days regardless of price. Like the eVisa option will definitely look into it.

I am in the fortunate position where I will be meeting an Aussie friend and his Cambodian GF there and will be guided through the cultural maze by her, they are driving up so local transport will be no problem.

Interesting observation:-

As I'm currently in Australia I just did a quick comparison buying USD cash between the Commonwealth Bank and KasikornBank (I have accounts with both), the Thai bank was 1.2% better.

12 hours ago, Jip99 said:

It is now $37 per day,

$37 per day - wow.   Is that really per day or for that 3- or 4-day temple pass/ticket?   ('Been awhile since I was there, and haven't been since the Chinese hordes descended on the place.)

51 minutes ago, bdenner said:

Just to add:-

Unless I have miss read something the eVisa is now priced at USD $109 :shock1:

$69 for the visa and a $40 Government charge?

Bdenner,

It is not, many are scamming you online and are not the real Mc Coy. It is $37 for an e visa. Here.

https://www.ivisa.com/cambodia-blog/where-to-get-cambodia-visa

18 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

$37 per day - wow.   Is that really per day or for that 3- or 4-day temple pass/ticket?   ('Been awhile since I was there, and haven't been since the Chinese hordes descended on the place.)

No, it is now $37 for the day. $62 I believe for three days.I have enclosed the link.

They say it is an effort to reduce the amount of traffic to the monuments and preserve them, I think that's nonsense. Angkor Wat has been a cash cow for the powers-that-be for far too long, taking out and putting nothing back.If you take Angkor Wat out of the equation, there is little reason to go to Cambodia in reality.

http://www.tourismcambodia.com/attractions/angkor.htm

13 hours ago, Jip99 said:

It is now $37 per day,

Can you pay in riel? Seems crazy to exchange Thai baht to dollar, atm's give riel. I am planning a motorbike tour there and don't want to take 3 currencies. 

11 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Can you pay in riel? Seems crazy to exchange Thai baht to dollar, atm's give riel. I am planning a motorbike tour there and don't want to take 3 currencies. 

Sure,

They will let you pay in Riel, it's the national currency and they are keen to promote it.

They only thing is you are carrying large bundles of Riel and many find this inconvenient with all the 000s and prefer the simplicity of USD. Riel is generally used for small and minor purchases.

ATMs give riel or USD.

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Sure,

They will let you pay in Riel, it's the national currency and they are keen to promote it.

They only thing is you are carrying large bundles of Riel and many find this inconvenient with all the 000s and prefer the simplicity of USD. Riel is generally used for small and minor purchases.

ATMs give riel or USD.

Thanks,

I have traveled there many times but years ago. Then as in Vietnam the dollar was favoured. Last year in Vietnam for 3 months i was only quoted a dollar price a few times.

If dollar is available from an atm that solves the issue of double changing money. :)

I went thru Poi pet in may, no problem in or out

Tuk tuk for travels around Angkor Wat is $15-20/day

Plenty of places to stop and eat chicken,  cat fish and sticky rice and and buy cold water around the temples ( it gets hot walking around)

DO go to the EXCELLENT  Korean built Museum  BEFORE you head to Angkor

DO buy the book, "Ancient Angkor" in a shop or from one of the kids for $5-10

USE US$$$$  ATM's feed out $$, get $290 or something so u get smaller bills (SCB charges 100 baht /withdrawal)

FLY air asia, pay 60 baht extra and get a seat closer to the front and ur off the plane to immigration to buy ur visa

DO take a trip on the Tonle sap lake out to Kampong Phluk

This is the OFFICIAL site for visa online:  https://www.evisa.gov.kh/ 
$36+ CC charge

lived in Cambodia back in 2008/09 and have been traveling there since 2002 at least once/year. Many times drive my thai plated car in

Edited by phuketrichard

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

I went thru Poi pet in may, no problem in or out

Tuk tuk for travels around Angkor Wat is $15-20/day

Plenty of places to stop and eat chicken,  cat fish and sticky rice and and buy cold water around the temples ( it gets hot walking around)

DO go to the EXCELLENT  Korean built Museum  BEFORE you head to Angkor

DO buy the book, "Ancient Angkor" in a shop or from one of the kids for $5-10

USE US$$$$  ATM's feed out $$, get $290 or something so u get smaller bills (SCB charges 100 baht /withdrawal)

FLY air asia, pay 60 baht extra and get a seat closer to the front and ur off the plane to immigration to buy ur visa

DO take a trip on the Tonle sap lake out to Kampong Phluk

This is the OFFICIAL site for visa online:  https://www.evisa.gov.kh/ 
$36+ CC charge

lived in Cambodia back in 2008/09 and have been traveling there since 2002 at least once/year. Many times drive my thai plated car in

Great information, thanks :)

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:
5 hours ago, bdenner said:

Bdenner,

It is not, many are scamming you online and are not the real Mc Coy. It is $37 for an e visa. Here.

https://www.ivisa.com/cambodia-blog/where-to-get-cambodia-visa

Thanks Scouse, can't believe I didn't read the fine print on the sites I visited. NOTE to self! Don't forget to take your meds!"

Your Site is quoting USD $60 including a $20 service charge. The official Cambodian site (or appears to be) is quoting USD$36:-

https://www.evisa.gov.kh/information/tourist_visa/4

Edit:

What a breath of fresh air the Cambodian WEB site is, Thai Immigration could take a leaf out of their book

Edited by bdenner

5 hours ago, tomwct said:

Rather than go to Cambodia, you can visit the Khmer temples in Phimai north of Korat. They are very nice and you

won't have to travel so far and the costs is very low. So consider this trip and cancel the other!

Clearly, you have never been to Angkor Wat.

Yeah, it's definitely $36-37 USD as I bought one before when I didn't want the passport getting a full page sticky visa put in. I wanted to save the pages.

Other posters may well quote different experiences regards Poipet but I would not go near they place as I have personally had bad experiences there with authorities scamming on the Cambodian side of the border and I have met others as well. Furthermore, depending on time of day and the month, you can be subject to long queues at both sides of the border.

Some fabulous restaurants and bars in Siem reap these days from many different countries around the globe. I always have a good time down there. It's great for a mini break.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect