Pollution continues on South Pattaya Beach

Rimmer

Pollution continues on South Pattaya Beach

image.png

PATTAYA:-- South Pattaya Beach remains dirty and polluted as sewage continues to leak into storm drains during heavy storms.

While not as bad as in July, when broken pumps caused a massive sewage overflow that made beach water nearly twice as unsafe as recommended, the sand remains dark and the water murky as the city struggles to repair and upgrade its sewage processing system.

Sanitation Department officials said some sewage overflows are to be expected until those repairs are done.

The Pattaya City Council on Sept. 28 allocated 19 million baht to pumps sending wastewater to the city’s troubled sewage-treatment plant.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pollution-continues-south-pattaya-beach-188753

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-10-13

The obvious reactive nature of Pattaya city planners, and/or the combined efforts of the equally reactive municipal dept. have chosen to ignore this sewage epidemic. A pro-active approach, complete with a plan early on to deal with it would be, well, just maybe would have provided workable solutions and in place by now. The city is essentially hooped on this matter, the city fathers know this and have done nothing to resolve. I'm certain all the tourists & visitors to "sewage street" are very impressed by the foul odors and unsightly polluted water washing trash, debris and sewage on the beaches. This is criminal in the west and would not be tolerated. Should be no different in Thailand, but it always will be this way.

I remember the first time I visited Ao Nang, in about 2003, and swam and strolled along the beautiful beach.  I observed a thin black stream with foul smell, turning the sand black,  going directly into the ocean.  It seemed to originate from a large resort maybe a hundred yards back of where I was standing.  I told myself:   "surely this can't be a stream of raw sewage coming from the hotel and going into this beautiful sea, surely there are regulations prohibiting such things?"  How very, very wrong I was. 

31 minutes ago, pattjock said:

There is i 100,000Baht fine for poluting the environment by smoking on the beach. I wonder whet the fine is for the Pattaya City government for releasing thousand of tons of sewer into the environment???

Everybody knows farang come to pattaya and pollute and the city does not have the means to clean it. 

There should be a tax for farang when they go to the toilet.

Did anyone think there would be a change? Ho, ho! At least it´s nice to know that the dark soul of the city is coming out somewhere. I say let it pour, and maybe in another 20 years it will be a nice place to visit.

Edited by Get Real