Iooking for screws but seems I’m screwed

flyingfox1

Desperate for screws!!

Hi all, I seen to be in a ridiculous yet petty situation,

I bought some one inch timber lats to fasten cladding to the outside of a house on legs.., then when they delivered it a week later I went back to the large superstore store “Global House” to get some 2” inch screws but was told much to my surprise they had nothing over 1-1/2” and was told to come back in a week and their may be some on the next shipment...

one week later (which is today) I returned only to be told I had no luck as was not any, I asked how was I to fasten these timbers they sold me to the wall?

On hearing that I was led to a shelf that contained silicone, I said you have to be kidding right! but the look on his face said otherwise, he looked insulted that I was laughing uncontrollably..

I mean could u imagine me cladding a whole house using glue and one day the whole blooming lot just fell off from height it would kill someone for sure!

I have tried many small shops and large outlets including HomePro who’s screws only went up to 1-1/4” .. this is crazy stuff!!’ Anyone any ideas?!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I could bet that Thais wouldn't use screws for the purpose.

Nail it would be their answer :smile:

But seriously such screws are on offer.

You have to find another source (as written above).

Home Pro has them on their online catalog.

https://www.homepro.co.th/mproduct/37222

Why they don't have it on stock?

Little demand.

• Like 1

I could bet that Thais wouldn't use screws for the purpose. Nail it would be their answer :smile:

Couldn’t imagine a nail doing much good nailed into one of them brittle thin breeze type blocks it’s likely to smash the block into bits !

“Global House” glue was their answer I’m serious!!! lol

I really can’t believe their are no trained staff in any mega store !!

Nail it would be their answer :smile:

But seriously such screws are on offer.
You have to find another source (as written above).

Home Pro has them on their online catalog.
https://www.homepro.co.th/mproduct/37222
Why they don't have it on stock?
Little demand.

I’ve seen this 8x 2” on lots of boxes with small screws in, I’m totally confused by this as u would of thought that 8x means 8 and 2” was in fact 2 inch but it’s not the case.. I was in home pro last night and the biggest screw was 1.5”

Globel house also has small packets and larger boxes with 8x2” written on on opening the box their was about 200x half inch screws in..

Mind boggling!!
Been looking for 2 weeks for a big box with 2” sinker screws,...

Will try talk to the English speaking sales manager at home pro tonight .. hope she’s on or I’m screwed again !!! Lol

I get boxes of 500/1000 screws from MegaHome, 11/2, 2, 21/2, 3 inch 10s (or 6s or 8s even 12s) in dome or countersunk. The "screws" aisle in MegaHome Rangsit (mostly) provides something that will do the job.

I've also done quite a few things using the hex-head roofing screws with the "brass" heads exposed as a "feature" (take off the rubber washer), available to 4" and longer.

Coach bolts and coach screws come from our local "magic" (hardware) place. Turn up with a photo and the old dear disappears off round the back and re-materializes from the opposite direction with several sizes of what you want, sold by the kilo (they would be "each" back home).

• Like 1

I needed to get a M10 x 1.25 (Fine Thread) x 45mm hexagonal cap head bolt.  I contacted the following companies in Thailand, A.B.P. Stainless Steel Fastener Co. Ltd. (http://www.abpstainless.com) as well as its sister company ABPON Co. Ltd. (http://www.abpon.com/en/) and I contacted the LST Group (http://www.grouplst.com/en    http://www.grouplst.com/en/prodinfo.php?prod_id=HSCSA2M&&prod_type=bolts).  A.B.P Stainless Steel Fastener Co. Ltd. and ABPON Co. Ltd. stated that they do not manufacture M10 bolts in a 1.25 thread pitch.  The L.S.T. Group, which does make M10 bolts in a 1.25 thread pitch of various lengths, only had a shorter length and were out of stock of the 45mm length that I really needed.

I ended up contacting Miss Leng in Bangkok. I have bought stainless steel fasteners (Torx, Hex, washers, lock washers, lock nuts, etc.) from her in the past.  I sent her a Line message, which is her primary means of communication outside of a phone call, describing what fasteners I needed. She does speak English and appears to be fairly knowledgeable of fasteners. She in fact had all that I asked for.  

I asked Miss Leng if I can order fasteners from her and she mail them to me. She stated that she does not do that.  The shop is located between Soi 47 and Soi 49 on the north side of Udom Suk or Udomsuk. Worth my effort when I am in Bangkok to visit this shop for high quality nuts and bolts at a reasonable price. 

Screw Nut and bolt shop in Bangkok.jpg

good quality from shop in Bangkok.jpg

good quality in Bangkok.jpg

Bangkok nut and bolt shop.jpg

Dunno where OP is located but here are two shops with a gigantic selection of screws and bolts

and VERY knowledgable employees.

BKK:

Bearing. On Sukhumvit east side, half way between the skytrain station and soi 107,

there is a hardware shop (really; screw shop) which is no less than excellent.

Klong Tom area. Walk Worachak road on the south side towards the river,

make a left when you hit Yaowarat road, make a left when you hit the first soi,

there is quite a big screw shop on the corner, skip this one,

the best one is about 20-30 meters into the soi on the left side

small unpretentious entrance, small shop you will come into, but the storage behind is HUGE

what the girls in this shop do not know about threads is not worth knowing

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Nail it would be their answer

There you go Thai bashing again!  I've seen Thai's use screws many times.  They try to screw Phillips screws in with a reed and prince screw driver and when they strip the head they set it with a hammer.  Screws are just serrated nails.  Also there is no nail that is too long.  When it's driven in enough they just bend it over and if you point to it they giggle and sat "nick noi"!

I have no problems buying long screws at the Ma and Pa store, but they seem to only stock flat head screws not pan head.

• Like 1

Global House use to be very good but they have reduced their inventory of hardware. What Thailand needs is a good hardware store like Home Depot in the US coming in to compete with the Thai Market, which they can't compete with  inventory and pricing and Customer Service, which Thailand has very little of.

One learns something new every day.

I had never heard of "Robertson" screws (square drive) until they popped up on TV. Today's new one is "Reed and Prince" which appears to be yet another format of cross-point, of course it's not compatible with any of the others.

Luckily the screws commonly available in the DIY places are Pozidrive or Supadrive (which can use the same driver).

5 hours ago, tomwct said:

Global House use to be very good but they have reduced their inventory of hardware. What Thailand needs is a good hardware store like Home Depot in the US coming in to compete with the Thai Market, which they can't compete with  inventory and pricing and Customer Service, which Thailand has very little of.

To even suggest competition in the Thai Market place! a serious case of attitude adjustment therapy is needed here - standby for the invitation :shock1:

The very few Thai families who control the market are quite happy with their position - Thank you.

Seriously, competition would be great for us consumers, just don't see it happening!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Today's new one is "Reed and Prince"

I was in the local Ma and Pa hardware store and she  had a box of nice shiny screwdrivers on the counter.  They were definitely Reed and Price which is similar to a Phillips but has a sharp point and a 75 degree angle. I showed her the difference as she obviously didn't know (or care)and I suspect that the customers didn't either.  But it really doesn't make a difference when they strip the screw head and then drive it home with a hammer.

In the US it's mainly used in Marine hardware and if the right tool is used supposedly you can get a higher torque on the screw.  I've never seen R&P screws here, but the screwdrivers definitely were R&P.

21 minutes ago, CGW said:

a serious case of attitude adjustment therapy is needed here

Yes I agree. Screws and stuff are available in all mom and pop hardware stores. Good ones also have all manner of stuff if you take a picture of what you need. Even new bearings for electric drills et al. even large parangs!

The problem being that to find mom and pop stores requires mark one eyeballs and most often walking.

As for the correct angle Phillips screws. That is up to the user as to which bit he uses? The shop will have them as well.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, wayned said:

There you go Thai bashing again!  I've seen Thai's use screws many times.

No bashing but an observation.

Sure they use screws for building roofs, mounting doors etc. (metal on wood).

But they rarely use them for wood on wood.

For bamboo they are close to unusable.

Either break bamboo or come out quickly.

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

One learns something new every day.

I had never heard of "Robertson" screws (square drive) until they popped up on TV. Today's new one is "Reed and Prince" which appears to be yet another format of cross-point, of course it's not compatible with any of the others.

Luckily the screws commonly available in the DIY places are Pozidrive or Supadrive (which can use the same driver).

Are you sure that you have found either Pozidrive or Supadrive screws  locally? 

The only cross  head that I've seen is the Phillips.

I do have a few thousand Pozidrive that I brought over myself together with the correct screwdrivers.

IMG_1979.thumb.PNG.dbe0466ad3bcc82c180535ea66ada092.PNGIMG_1980.PNG.f13ec2f5b6a26e29165b2f9d159b3b2a.PNG

Not forgetting JIS screws. Which are also different. If it has a little dot it is JIS

screws_JIS_phillips_pozidriv.jpg

CarlYai,

You just need to find your nearest, biggest hardware store. ( Not Global or HomePro type!) Pan head self tapping screws, even in stainless, are quite easy to find. If you live in the sticks you'll have to drive into town. Take your picture. ( The ones in my hand are approx 6mm x 15 but are poited not truncated)

Rama 4 Bangkok there is a screw shop between BMW and Honda. Or on Suk. Soi 71 Opposite the ESSO garage. I even found 4mm x 10 Torx 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Can't seem to get these anywhere, marine grade that do not rust.LINE_P20171014_120919757.jpgLINE_P20171014_120919754.jpgLINE_P20171014_120919741.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

marine grade steel (316) self tapping screws are hard to find i LoS, very hard, whilst stainless (304) is plentifull but they do rust

after several years of looking I have found one shop in Samuth Prakan (amp. muang) that sports

some self tapping screws in 316, the shop has a small selection

most prof. shops will tell you that such screws are not in the Thai market and must be imported

• Like 1

Even 316 is not completely rust proof and as it is almost impossible to tell them apart one has to trust the supplier or the manufacturer. In a marine environment ie on ships they don't use much stainless they use paint. Lots of paint. Sure pleasure craft like sailing boats have stainless railings etc but they need constant attention. Even stainless gates in a coastal environment require polishing every now and again.

Depending on the number required and the application CarlY you might consider dipping the screws in or spraying them with clear lacquer.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

Thanks guys very much for all these useful suggestions, I finally got 2” screws and plugs to fit them although after the screw goes through the wood the Length actually going into the wall would be just slightly over 1”, meaning the hold would be just that long which is ok considering he blocks are only the width of a bar of imperial soap lol,
But it also means that the screw only goes half way into the plugs.., hope it holds the exterior cladding at that!!

2.5” would of been better but seems none around.

I read that one of you guys found 3” at Homepro maybe they were bolts not screws? As I asked many staff who went through opening the boxes to look inside as it seems they don’t know what’s written on the boxes the same as me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Even 316 is not completely rust proof and as it is almost impossible to tell them apart one has to trust the supplier or the manufacturer. In a marine environment ie on ships they don't use much stainless they use paint. Lots of paint. Sure pleasure craft like sailing boats have stainless railings etc but they need constant attention. Even stainless gates in a coastal environment require polishing every now and again.

Depending on the number required and the application CarlY you might consider dipping the screws in or spraying them with clear lacquer.

Great idea, maybe I give s quick dip in silicone [emoji106]

Thanks guys very much for all these useful suggestions, I finally got 2” screws and plugs to fit them although after the screw goes through the wood the Length actually going into the wall would be just slightly over 1”, meaning the hold would be just that long which is ok considering he blocks are only the width of a bar of imperial soap lol,
But it also means that the screw only goes half way into the plugs.., hope it holds the exterior cladding at that!!

2.5” would of been better but seems none around.

I read that one of you guys found 3” at Homepro maybe they were bolts not screws? As I asked many staff who went through opening the boxes to look inside as it seems they don’t know what’s written on the boxes the same as me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
I bought these at Thaiwatsadu or Global House, think it was Thaiwatsadu.
3" and 2.5".20171016_084442.jpg

• Like 1

I get boxes of 500/1000 screws from MegaHome, 11/2, 2, 21/2, 3 inch 10s (or 6s or 8s even 12s) in dome or countersunk. The "screws" aisle in MegaHome Rangsit (mostly) provides something that will do the job.

I've also done quite a few things using the hex-head roofing screws with the "brass" heads exposed as a "feature" (take off the rubber washer), available to 4" and longer.

Coach bolts and coach screws come from our local "magic" (hardware) place. Turn up with a photo and the old dear disappears off round the back and re-materializes from the opposite direction with several sizes of what you want, sold by the kilo (they would be "each" back home).

Went into
Mega home ransit of coarse!!! Thanks for reminding me I will look down there today [emoji106]

Not forgetting JIS screws. Which are also different. If it has a little dot it is JIS

screws_JIS_phillips_pozidriv.jpg&key=87baf2630fffe2632c0f6ccdbcd91bd01bc5583600b23f5bc16b1a195129a7f5

CarlYai,

You just need to find your nearest, biggest hardware store. ( Not Global or HomePro type!) Pan head self tapping screws, even in stainless, are quite easy to find. If you live in the sticks you'll have to drive into town. Take your picture. ( The ones in my hand are approx 6mm x 15 but are poited not truncated)
Rama 4 Bangkok there is a screw shop between BMW and Honda. Or on Suk. Soi 71 Opposite the ESSO garage. I even found 4mm x 10 Torx 
Mine have the little dot on them as well.