Best Truck Ford or Toyota!

Duaned

4 minutes ago, Farma said:

As mentioned they are work vehicles and most likely the same low spec as you drove for 90 minutes. Reversing camera wasn't included. When spending 4 or more hours in one each day little things become noticeable. The noise was one.

Little niggles like the storage position for a water bottle interfering with window control on the Izuzu. Seat fabric wearing out on the ford and Izuzu but not on the toyota. Storage for small items lacking in the Mitsu etc.

Each of the pickups have their flaws. Comfort and general all round ease of driving make Toyota a cut above the rest for me. 

You can probably get most of them with leather or cloth seats now depending on your preference.... 

Depending on how long you intend to keep it wearing out the seats wouldn't be a problem for me... 

If it bothered you that much you could put a seat cover over them or one of those wooden things the taxi drivers use for air circulation 

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

That's fair enough. Unless having to travel, it is just doing day to day driving and a bit of farm driving so wouldn't be in it enough for the little things to worry me too much. Main focus is purely safety and space, but I can fully understand why many like the Toyota. Unfortunately, just doesn't fit my body or safety standards. Maybe when I retire and have shrunk a bit haha

Don't wanna burst your bubble but.... Farangs typically expand when they retire in Thailand..... :smile:

7 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Up to you, most modern vehicles are reliable, i do not like the look of the Triton personally but have not heard of any bad reports about it, do your homework and if happy with the results go for it

The 2 american brands in Thailand are the ones i have read bad reports on, Ford and General Motors Chevrolet, their quality control and repair services are not anywhere as good as the Japanese brands 

I saw a new triton double cab this morning. Think it was dark grey with new big wheels. Looked nice actually (and 4wd can be used on wet sealed roads, which I think is a plus - unlike the competition). They just need to get their act together and put in a 6 speed auto like the competition.  I don't think there are any 'bad' trucks these days...som have their advantages and disadvantages, so it depends on priorities. 

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

I saw a new triton double cab this morning. Think it was dark grey with new big wheels. Looked nice actually (and 4wd can be used on wet sealed roads, which I think is a plus - unlike the competition). They just need to get their act together and put in a 6 speed auto like the competition.  I don't think there are any 'bad' trucks these days...som have their advantages and disadvantages, so it depends on priorities. 

Most of them look way cooler if you add 20" wheels and a lift kit 

Anyone know how much this costs in Thai? 

5 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Don't wanna burst your bubble but.... Farangs typically expand when they retire in Thailand..... :smile:

Hahah that's 40 years away but I don't drink and the Thai diet put me in the prediabetes range so my diet is pretty strict now so I should remain relatively normal weight.

I think car companies are releasing trucks that are done up these days to save the trouble. So the Triton has released the athlete in the hope people don't have to modify it after they buy it. It will never look like a Ranger, but then again a truck is there to serve a purpose not win the red carpet award, so won't play too heavily on my eyes/mind. 

1 minute ago, wildewillie89 said:

Hahah that's 40 years away but I don't drink and the Thai diet put me in the prediabetes range so my diet is pretty strict now so I should remain relatively normal weight.

I think car companies are releasing trucks that are done up these days to save the trouble. So the Triton has released the athlete in the hope people don't have to modify it after they buy it. It will never look like a Ranger, but then again a truck is there to serve a purpose not win the red carpet award, so won't play too heavily on my eyes/mind. 

This review covers the Triton, ranger, hilux, bt50 and a few others.... Interesting 

11 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

This review covers the Triton, ranger, hilux, bt50 and a few others.... Interesting 

I hate this arrogant prick lol, have seen a few of his reviews. Would definitely go Ranger back home, but potentially suspect here. I was told my Chev dealer in my city doesn't even have its own servicing department  (albeit from a Ford salesman lol). My wife's boss just bought a new Chev even though his best friend owns Ford, so I wonder if he is aware of the Ford issues - will have to get her to ask him why he went Chev and not Ford.

The Triton's new engine I think has given it the extra torque to get over his criteria and one extra gear. 5 speed auto is still behind everyone else but I saw one review saying it's bad on paper but gear ratios are not too bad in real life driving. Plus the travel days are down to a minimum now with the two little ones so not as much freeway driving where 6 would be needed for a good few years anyway . The towing, well I have no real current plans to tow 3.5 tonne lol

1 hour ago, wildewillie89 said:

I hate this arrogant prick lol, have seen a few of his reviews. Would definitely go Ranger back home, but potentially suspect here. I was told my Chev dealer in my city doesn't even have its own servicing department  (albeit from a Ford salesman lol). My wife's boss just bought a new Chev even though his best friend owns Ford, so I wonder if he is aware of the Ford issues - will have to get her to ask him why he went Chev and not Ford.

The Triton's new engine I think has given it the extra torque to get over his criteria and one extra gear. 5 speed auto is still behind everyone else but I saw one review saying it's bad on paper but gear ratios are not too bad in real life driving. Plus the travel days are down to a minimum now with the two little ones so not as much freeway driving where 6 would be needed for a good few years anyway . The towing, well I have no real current plans to tow 3.5 tonne lol

This guy is a bit less annoying   and he says the Triton is  better than the ranger  best in its class actually..... 

I doubt many people are buying  for the ability/importance  to haul 3.5 tonnes anyway

1 hour ago, speedtripler said:

This guy is a bit less annoying   and he says the Triton is  better than the ranger  best in its class actually..... 

I doubt many people arI e buying  for the ability/importance  to haul 3.5 tonnes anyway

The Mrs looked at some Thai reviews and they seemed to think that both are as capable as each other, just depends on how insecure people are. Do they want to be seen driving the less bulky and cheaper car. I think farang are probably less focused on that sort of stuff. Will ask her to have a look at the forums re Ford servicing issues in our particular area.

Edited by wildewillie89

8 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Most of them look way cooler if you add 20" wheels and a lift kit 

Anyone know how much this costs in Thai? 

I think the lift kits only look good when you are using chunky all terrain tyres (on 16-17 inch rims). Just my opinion. Plenty of places can do this. Can just search on facebook. I would just go for better shocks and 2inch coil over lift. Ironman or OME should work well. - that set would cost about 50K, if I recall. 

4 hours ago, speedtripler said:

My hilux has a 6 speed transmission and i don't tow anything with it so towing is not important, must be a old video

5 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

Looks like a blue oval on the grill, but my eyesight is dodgy. Making its debut at the Detroit motor show, where Ford announced they are investing millions into EV's. 

Think we must agree it looks like a Toyota...

On 07/01/2018 at 4:35 AM, speedtripler said:

Any ranger  or mazda bt50 owners care to comment on what's the best one to get 

2.2 or 3.2? 

Don't need to tow anything but I was thinking the 2.2 might be underpowered for  the weight of the thing...... 

The Mazda engines are slightly different than the Ford on Ford's higer spec models.

I have the 2.2 Ford which has about 10bhp more power and the torque is also higher. It's supposedly more fuel efficient too.

Edited by JaseTheBass

1 hour ago, transam said:

There is just nothing that compares to polished alloy.......:wub:

picasabackground-005.jpg.05b0e7cbe85ac0e5f45d3e221bc7f262.jpg

So far in this thread we have stayed more or less on topic, and at least mostly discussed trucks.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So far in this thread we have stayed more or less on topic, and at least mostly discussed trucks.

Sorry, but I am talking wheel stuff regardless of what ride they are put on to enhance appearance......:stoner: