Public urged to not drink during Royal Cremation period

rooster59

Public urged to not drink during Royal Cremation period

By The Nation

978cb3c37b49fdbfe7bdfd0aa791d289.jpeg

The Disease Control Department has urged people to refrain from drinking alcoholic drinks for the five days of the Royal Cremation period to make merit for His Majesty the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Doctor Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, director general of the department, sent a letter to the government’s Public Relations Department asking them to help get out a message discouraging people from drinking from October 25 to 29.

The letter to the PR department’s director general, Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd, suggested the NBT channel run public service announcements discouraging drinking for the period.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30329828

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-21

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Antiparovian said:

If anyone can't go without alcohol for 5 days they have a big problem. I do feel a bit sorry for the tourists but this event has been planned for a long time and we need to show respect.

Yes, planned a long time, but they forgot to mention that in all the travel brochures, or rather they probably figured out that if they did tell prospective tourists that they were not allowed to have an enjoyable holiday during this time, the hotels catering to farangs would likely be empty for a couple of weeks as they all changed their destinations. Vietnam, Cambodia and the Philippines will welcome them.

It may be only 5 days, but the effect will be considerably longer as everyone that feels aggrieved will inform everyone they know, and they won't come. Many other destinations to go to.

Of course Thais can mourn, but by forcing tourists that pay large amounts of money to forgo the holiday they paid for will end up having unintended consequences on the tourist industry.

Yes, planned a long time, but waiting till travel plans made, tickets bought, hotels booked to tell everyone is a huge self inflicted wound on an industry that is already suffering a down turn of western tourists. The word is getting out there.

This should all have been put out months ago.

I can easily go 5 days without drinking alcohol, and if I couldn't I'd just drink in my room, but I'm not a tourist looking to party, which many that come are.

I'd imagine Pattaya will be a dangerous place if they ban boozing, and close all the bars for more than one night.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

9 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

There is quite a difference between encouraging people not to drink and actually prohibiting sales, though it would not surprise me in the slightest to see a 4 or 5 day beer ban called at the last minute.

It occurs to me that if the edict is out that people should not drink alcohol, it will become an official ban on bars selling the stuff for the whole 5 days, rather than the one night they have already decreed. Remains to be seen if they also ban sales in 7 11 and supermarkets.

If anyone has to drink, and they haven't already, be a good time to stock up now.

2 hours ago, Antiparovian said:

If anyone can't go without alcohol for 5 days they have a big problem. I do feel a bit sorry for the tourists but this event has been planned for a long time and we need to show respect.

No, we need to respect whatever decision the Thai authorities make, we do not need to respect in the same way a Thai will respect the funeral rites.

41 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, planned a long time, but they forgot to mention that in all the travel brochures, or rather they probably figured out that if they did tell prospective tourists that they were not allowed to have an enjoyable holiday during this time, the hotels catering to farangs would likely be empty for a couple of weeks as they all changed their destinations. Vietnam, Cambodia and the Philippines will welcome them.

It may be only 5 days, but the effect will be considerably longer as everyone that feels aggrieved will inform everyone they know, and they won't come. Many other destinations to go to.

Of course Thais can mourn, but by forcing tourists that pay large amounts of money to forgo the holiday they paid for will end up having unintended consequences on the tourist industry.

Yes, planned a long time, but waiting till travel plans made, tickets bought, hotels booked to tell everyone is a huge self inflicted wound on an industry that is already suffering a down turn of western tourists. The word is getting out there.

I can easily go 5 days without drinking alcohol, and if I couldn't I'd just drink in my room, but I'm not a tourist looking to party, which many that come are.

I'd imagine Pattaya will be a dangerous place if they ban boozing, and close all the bars for more than one night.

I don't think you quite grasp the importance of this Royal Cremation ceremony to Thailand and its people. The tourist industry has bounced back well from military coups, riots, bomb attacks, airport closers etc. It is very resilient. It will survive this minor 5-day inconvenience to tourists if indeed all alcohol consumption is banned for tourists, which is yet to be determined. What's happening here is part of Thailand's rich culture and I'm sure most tourists will understand and perhaps be interested in observing the ceremonies.

This is the first Royal Cremation for 71 years of a highly revered King. It's more important than tourism.

An update

Strangely my local village 7/11 tonight  is unusually full of pious Thais buying beer by the case,(s) its almost like they know something is up!!  

(or that they are removing it from the shelves so no one can buy it later):coffee1:

Just now, tropo said:

I don't think you quite grasp the importance of this Royal Cremation ceremony to Thailand and its people. The tourist industry has bounced back well from military coups, riots, bomb attacks, airport closers etc. It is very resilient. It will survive this minor 5-day inconvenience to tourists if indeed all alcohol consumption is banned for tourists, which is yet to be determined. What's happening here is part of Thailand's rich culture and I'm sure most tourists will understand and perhaps be interested in observing the ceremonies.

This is the first Royal Cremation for 71 years of a highly revered King. It's more important than tourism.

That wasn't my point. I understand that, but most tourists will not, IMO, forgive them not informing before time so they could make an informed decision. Being presented with a fun devoid holiday AFTER they arrive, when they could have gone elsewhere, is inexcusable from a responsible tourist organisation like the TAT.

Comparing it to airport closures through rioting is an irrelevant comparison. Everyone understood that was an unforeseen event.

Shutting everything down after one has already arrived, when they had a whole year to get the word out is not going to elicit any understanding.

I had a horrible holiday in Sri Lanka for a week 30 years ago, and I will NEVER forgive them for it, or go there again.

Farang tourism is obviously in dire straits if the number of empty hotel rooms, restaurant seats and deserted bars in Chiang Mai is anything to go by. NB, C M does not depend on the bars for it's tourists, but they are still going elsewhere.

It's more important than tourism.

Tell that to the workers that can't get a job because there aren't enough tourists after this is over.

If you are convinced that you are in the right, I suggest that you go down to "The Dog's <deleted>" pub in Pattaya and see if they agree with you.

Plenty of complaints on TVF when the bars are going to be closed for a day for an election or something, and this is 5 days.

4 minutes ago, poohy said:

An update

Strangely my local village 7/11 tonight  is unusually full of pious Thais buying beer by the case,(s) its almost like they know something is up!!  

(or that they are removing it from the shelves so no one can buy it later):coffee1:

If a drinker, don't wait. Get in now before it's all been bought in case they won't allow the shops to restock.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That wasn't my point. I understand that, but most tourists will not, IMO, forgive them not informing before time so they could make an informed decision. Being presented with a fun devoid holiday AFTER they arrive, when they could have gone elsewhere, is inexcusable from a responsible tourist organisation like the TAT.

Comparing it to airport closures through rioting is an irrelevant comparison. Everyone understood that was an unforeseen event.

Shutting everything down after one has already arrived, when they had a whole year to get the word out is not going to elicit any understanding.

I had a horrible holiday in Sri Lanka for a week 30 years ago, and I will NEVER forgive them for it, or go there again.

Farang tourism is obviously in dire straits if the number of empty hotel rooms, restaurant seats and deserted bars in Chiang Mai is anything to go by. NB, C M does not depend on the bars for it's tourists, but they are still going elsewhere.

It's more important than tourism.

Tell that to the workers that can't get a job because there aren't enough tourists after this is over.

If you are convinced that you are in the right, I suggest that you go down to "The Dog's <deleted>" pub in Pattaya and see if they agree with you.

Plenty of complaints on TVF when the bars are going to be closed for a day for an election or something, and this is 5 days.

Absolutely I'm convinced I'm right. Why would I need to go to a pub to find out what drunks think? That's a ridiculous suggestion. People who can't do without alcohol for a few days can easily stock up now and drink at home.

As for tourists - most intelligent tourists would be well aware of the King's cremation next week - it's no secret - it's international news. It will be the biggest ceremony on the planet.

The only people it will inconvenience are the type of tourists that spend their vacation time in bars. Regular tourists who come to Thailand to experience the culture and sightseeing won't have a problem with it.

This is way above money.  

48 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

No, we need to respect whatever decision the Thai authorities make, we do not need to respect in the same way a Thai will respect the funeral rites.

There are many, many decisions these Thai authorities make that I have no respect for whatsoever.  These self appointed gun toting anti-democrats have no right to advise people in how good people should behave.  Disease Control department should be slapped back and told this is none of their business.  Businesses have been making plans for this period for over a year and do not need last minute changes forced by guilt tripping about making merit.

Just now, greeneking said:

There are many, many decisions these Thai authorities make that I have no respect for whatsoever.  These self appointed gun toting anti-democrats have no right to advise people in how good people should behave.  Disease Control department should be slapped back and told this is none of their business.  Businesses have been making plans for this period for over a year and do not need last minute changes forced by guilt tripping about making merit.

You think an alcohol ban during the Royal Cremation ceremonies is a surprise decision?  Most people would have expected it. People who can't do without alcohol have had months to stock up... which leaves only a few ignorant tourists (ones that don't read the news) that will be surprised when they arrive and find it hard to get alcohol.

3 minutes ago, Thunder26 said:

By law it is not prohibited to drink alcohol, so why would you tell people what to do and not to do? There is legal age of drinking, so people are mature enough to decide what to do by themselves. This is like kindergarten in my opinion.

You people amaze me. If you've lived in Thailand for any length of time you'll be aware that there are religious holidays when alcohol is banned. At the stores, there are hours of the day when you're not allowed to buy it. They ban alcohol sales during election times, yet you're surprised there may be restrictions during an event of such importance, arguably the most important national event in 71 years.

9 minutes ago, tropo said:

You think an alcohol ban during the Royal Cremation ceremonies is a surprise decision?  Most people would have expected it. People who can't do without alcohol have had months to stock up... which leaves only a few ignorant tourists (ones that don't read the news) that will be surprised when they arrive and find it hard to get alcohol.

I do think a story started 2 hours ago suggests a surprise decision when the event has been known about for a year.  Businesses do not operate on guesses, especially when there has been a lot of information suggesting it would be business as usual, but subdued and respectful behavior.

Are you suggesting tourists should have known this when TAT were saying something different? 

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Judging by the morgue that was Pattaya when I was down earlier last week, the word has probably already been put about by tour operators. Picking a room on agoda was like shooting fish in a barrel with places taking off 60% and more. I paid £25 a night for a huge top-floor suite with a sea view. Even the 3-to-4 star places between Beach and Second that typically command £80 and up were half-price.

The place will snap right back and nobody will be aggrieved or anything like it.

Western tourists have been down year on year for about 8 years already.

Loads of Chinese and Indians filling beds and buses though.

Dangerous after one nights closure? How on earth did they manage the Buddhist Lent observances and elections that straddled weekends in the past? Many fatalities were there?

Stop trying to bugger up other people's Nirvana will you?

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Judging by the morgue that was Pattaya when I was down earlier last week, the word has probably already been put about by tour operators. Picking a room on agoda was like shooting fish in a barrel with places taking off 60% and more. I paid £25 a night for a huge top-floor suite with a sea view. Even the 3-to-4 star places between Beach and Second that typically command £80 and up were half-price.

The place will snap right back and nobody will be aggrieved or anything like it.

Western tourists have been down year on year for about 8 years already.

Loads of Chinese and Indians filling beds and buses though.

Dangerous after one nights closure? How on earth did they manage the Buddhist Lent observances and elections that straddled weekends in the past? Many fatalities were there?

Stop trying to bugger up other people's Nirvana will you?

I am so glad that Pattaya has eventually chosen to accept the

British Pound as its' currency. Maybe now I can offload those pesky Pound coins which have out of date in the UK.

Edited by tolsti

19 minutes ago, tropo said:

You people amaze me. If you've lived in Thailand for any length of time you'll be aware that there are religious holidays when alcohol is banned. At the stores, there are hours of the day when you're not allowed to buy it. They ban alcohol sales during election times, yet you're surprised there may be restrictions during an event of such importance, arguably the most important national event in 71 years.

I'm aware and to be honest I don't really worry to get a drink myself. It is just a craze movement that annoys me telling people what to do and what not to do, especially when there is no official ban on alcohol sales during this period. Anyway most chain supermarkets will be closed on that day, so this unnecessary talk really gets on my nerves I would recommend these people to shut up and focus on the cremation of His Late Majesty the King.

8 minutes ago, Thunder26 said:

I'm aware and to be honest I don't really worry to get a drink myself. It is just a craze movement that annoys me telling people what to do and what not to do, especially when there is no official ban on alcohol sales during this period. Anyway most chain supermarkets will be closed on that day, so this unnecessary talk really gets on my nerves I would recommend these people to shut up and focus on the cremation of His Late Majesty the King.

And that's what the authorities have done by NOT officially naming alcohol prohibition days. They haven't been tempted in any way to distract from the main event and make it appear to be anything else but the national spontaneous coming together of a deeply saddened nation to pay their final respects to a man that will never, ever be forgotten.

Buggered if the government did announce mandatory bans and equally buggered because they didn't.

Agreed! People should focus on the main event and stop going on about really, really insignificant personal matters whilst lamely couching it in terms of some faux concern for the nations economy and momentarily moribund tourist industry.