Impossible to remove blades from room fan.

Daffy D

What I would do is use a fine tooth saw to cut a slot in the retaining cap ( never heard them called a "lug" before ) and insert a long item such as a machete into the slot to make it turn. Long enough implement, it's either going to undo or break. You did mention that you have a replacement.

When replacing, spray with WD45 to avoid similar in the future and don't overtighten.

I think the machines are winning :post-4641-1156693976:

I have already tried all of the obvious things and also most of the your suggestions but still no movement  :sad:

Problem with heating the lug / retaining cap, which I have already tried, is that there is a gap between the outer cap and the inner thread section as seen on this spare Hatari cap, so heating the outside will not really help. 

59eddce8b5e9b_InsideFanLug.JPG.8feae231a171478c2ed7747c0ecdd1e2.JPG  

The fan is actually not that dirty and can be quite easily cleaned with the blades still in place, a bit more fiddly but it will work.

I am not giving up on this, I have never as far as I can remember ever been beaten by a stuck nut, thread, stud or whatever, though they were all the usual metal on metal types and conventional tricks worked eventually.

This plastic on metal is something different but I will persevere. To that end I shall be buying a new replacement fan and that will give lots of time to work on it. The machines shall not win.

:smile:

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What I would do is use a fine tooth saw to cut a slot in the retaining cap ( never heard them called a "lug" before ) and insert a long item such as a machete into the slot to make it turn. Long enough implement, it's either going to undo or break. You did mention that you have a replacement.

When replacing, spray with WD45 to avoid similar in the future and don't overtighten.

Is there a steel sleeve inside the nut? There could be. It seems strange that if it's only plastic it wouldn't have come off using grips.

1 hour ago, Carib said:

Have you always "owned" that fan? If not it could be possible that someone ruined the thread in the cap and decided to glue it back on after cleaning?   :sad:

Now that's a possibility  :unsure:

I don't know where it actually came from it's just been here a long time, could have come with the wife , so it could well have been subject to a local "repair" at some time in the past  :shock1:

10 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Now that's a possibility  :unsure:

I don't know where it actually came from it's just been here a long time, could have come with the wife , so it could well have been subject to a local "repair" at some time in the past  :shock1:

Buy a new fan :smile: