Cert. of Residence question

I want to get a Cert. of Residence to buy a motorcycle. Our house is in my wife's name, so I don't have a rental agreement in my name. Is there some other means to prove residence to get the certificate? I have bank bills and  phone bills with my name and address on them. I have a Thai Social Security card and drivers licenses. I'm in Bangkok and will go to Chaeng Wattana. Also, I'm on a retirement visa. Also also, I don't want to put it in my wife's name.

• Like 1

You can get the certificate of residence at Chaeng Wattana if you are doing 90 day reports to them. You will pay a 200 baht fee and the certificate will be mailed to you by EMS in about 3 weeks.

You wife's house book can serve as your proof of residence along with your marriage certificate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lost_in_space said:

Thanks, Joe. BTW When I was at Imperial World last week, they told me the next time I would have to go to Chaeng Wattana for my 90 day. They're going to stop doing them, but they didn't say when.

Others have been told the samething about 90 day reporting there. But the big question is when since some people were told that months ago.

Perhaps try doing it online next time. Link for site: https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get the certificate of residence at Chaeng Wattana if you are doing 90 day reports to them. You will pay a 200 baht fee and the certificate will be mailed to you by EMS in about 3 weeks.

You wife's house book can serve as your proof of residence along with your marriage certificate.

I thought it was technically called a "letter of residence" and it should be free. 

If you ask for a receipt you won't get one. Mind you maybe it has changed. 

If not don't pay.

8 minutes ago, ferguston said:

I thought it was technically called a "letter of residence" and it should be free. 

If not don't pay.

The title of the application form is "APPLICATION FORM RESIDENCE CERTIFICATE IN THAILAND".  Download here: Application For Certificate Of Residency

There is no official fee for it but many offices do have a service charge to do one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The title of the application form is "APPLICATION FORM RESIDENCE CERTIFICATE IN THAILAND".  Download here: Application For Certificate Of Residency

There is no official fee for it but many offices do have a service charge to do one.

OK. I stand corrected over the title of the document but it should be free.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Three weeks! Crazy, about ten minutes at Jomtien and they accept any bill as long as it is in the applicant's name and at the recorded address.

23 minutes ago, ferguston said:

I personally don't see anything wrong with paying a relatively small fee for the document, after all it has cost them time and effort to do, the alternative is going to your Embassy, British Embassy charge around 2,500 THB for this and appointment needed, so no contest really.

Must admit I don't see why it takes so long to issue at CW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ferguston said:

Dont worry what it should be, the fact is there will be a 'service charge' and in Patong that be 500 Bahts so 200B is good going lol

18 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Dont worry what it should be, the fact is there will be a 'service charge' and in Patong that be 500 Bahts so 200B is good going lol

And do they mail it in or written/printed off on the spot, pls?

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

I personally don't see anything wrong with paying a relatively small fee for the document, after all it has cost them time and effort to do, the alternative is going to your Embassy, British Embassy charge around 2,500 THB for this and appointment needed, so no contest really.

33 minutes ago, Lokie said:

A "service charge" is a polite way of saying pay a bribe or tea money.

Paying it will allow the practise to continue.

1 minute ago, ferguston said:

I dont think I agree or I dont understand what is a bribe or when is the right time to give tea money. Is there another way of stopping the practice than not paying? 

3 hours ago, Mattd said:

perhaps someone more knowledgeable than i on this matter can weigh in, i heard that cert of residence has a 6 month life; if that is true, then the yellow book, pink id route seems better;

my pink id wont expire (over 60);'used it productively the other day at post office (albeit bank was skittish)

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

perhaps someone more knowledgeable than i on this matter can weigh in, i heard that cert of residence has a 6 month life; if that is true, then the yellow book, pink id route seems better;

my pink id wont expire (over 60);'used it productively the other day at post office (albeit bank was skittish)

I believe they are based on the length of your visa i.e. 30 days, 90 days etc.

Kurt

5 hours ago, ferguston said:

I am at loss for words, why would anybody expect to get this for free, you do not expect to get an extension of stay for free, or a reentry permit, yes, they do not advertise the cost, but surely you must understand there is a cost for them to do this, just in labour, paper, ink, electricity etc. etc. luckily for you I'm not in charge, otherwise it would be, yes sir, oh you want a residence certificate and you want for free, then please feel free to make your way to your embassy, coz you have no chance of getting here and if you ask why, then it is because I can, nose, spite and cut off springs to mind.

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ferguston said:

If not don't pay.

It's not free at Chaeng Wattana and you will get a receipt, without asking.

9 hours ago, glasswort said:

Three weeks! Crazy, about ten minutes at Jomtien and they accept any bill as long as it is in the applicant's name and at the recorded address.

It doesn't take three weeks normally, they tell you that as a maximum before they want you to start chasing, mine took about a week.