Public Discouraged From Drinking But Booze Won’t Be Banned

webfact

13 hours ago, poohy said:

Not entirely on topic apart from its eerily quiet in the countryside by us, very little traffic

well i spoke too soon the Mrs is busy now cutting the lawn !!

I am sure she will enjoy her beer or 2 on the patio later.:coffee1:

Exactly, not on topic. Not even respectful. Just one day, and as a person in this country she can´t even stop drinking for one day. How nice of her. She really makes the country proud.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

get real

Exactly what I did. For some people it´s hard to show respect that is asked for, while other do it automatically. It´s really not that hard. Out of reading your very clever comment, I guess you are one of the people that just can´t show the respect that the ceremony and the late King deserves..

6 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Exactly what I did. For some people it´s hard to show respect that is asked for, while other do it automatically. It´s really not that hard. Out of reading your very clever comment, I guess you are one of the people that just can´t show the respect that the ceremony and the late King deserves..

are you from Barcelona?

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

Exactly, not on topic. Not even respectful. Just one day, and as a person in this country she can´t even stop drinking for one day. How nice of her. She really makes the country proud.

Look sonny!

I presume you are a foreigner if so you have no horse in this race!

Anyway Shes Thai it's her country she can do what she damn well wants

29 minutes ago, heybruce said:

It's quite simple. Monarchist should do all the required things to grieve and show respect, and those who aren't monarchist should go about their lives without interfering with the monarchists.  Why do some people have trouble with this?

Sadly, because the whole principle of mourning, and showing respect for the last monarch (with which I empathize) has, if not exactly hijacked been certainly embraced by those who see it as the moral high ground, and cannot resist telling others how to behave. 

Bizarre behaviour for a foreigner residing here...

Sadly, because the whole principle of mourning, and showing respect for the last monarch (with which I empathize) has, if not exactly hijacked been certainly embraced by those who see it as the moral high ground, and cannot resist telling others how to behave. 
Bizarre behaviour for a foreigner residing here...

I guess it's not really surprising how many expats fall into the Thai mindset over this, especially those married to Thais. I'm glad I married a Laotian, so have managed to retain some rational thought and critical thinking faculties.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I guess it's not really surprising how many expats fall into the Thai mindset over this, especially those married to Thais. I'm glad I married a Laotian, so have managed to retain some rational thought and critical thinking faculties.

Well you know, I don't think of it as a particularly Thai mindset. I'm married to a Thai, and live in a farming village some 25 km from the town. No one here has  tried to tell me how I should behave, with regard to mourning the King or indeed anything else. Nor have the predominantly middle-class Thais who are my work colleagues. In fact, the only person at work who has ever commented was a fellow Englishman, who said that a very dark blue shirt was inappropriate, and I should wear black! 

Certainly, the "powers that be" are laying down the law to the Thai people, but the indignation showed by some here, and the desire to boss people around, seems a particularly "falang" mindset.

"I'm more Thai than you" meets "I'm sadder than you" perhaps? With a dash of "I've been here longer"....

Perhaps I should add that I've been quite content to dress appropriately and show respect when required. 

2 hours ago, JAG said:

14 minutes ago, JAG said:

Certainly, the "powers that be" are laying down the law to the Thai people, but the indignation showed by some here, and the desire to boss people around, seems a particularly "falang" mindset.

Two outstanding observations JAG ..... However the mindset of these two different groups are strikingly similar despite their ethnic and cultural difference eh.  hmmmm

Edited by LomSak27

7 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Two outstanding observations JAG ..... However the mindset of these two different groups are strikingly similar despite their ethnic and cultural diffeence eh.  hmmmm

Hmm yes, perhaps the "Farang" elements in this have "gone native"?

In fairness, some might consider that I've "gone native too", although perhaps at a very different point on the Thai social scale?

:smile:

Edited by JAG

1 minute ago, JAG said:

Hmm yes, perhaps the "Farang" elements in this have "gone native"?

In fairness, some might consider that I've "gone native too." Just perhaps at a very different point on the Thai social scale?

:smile:

not all Thais are mourning

1 minute ago, AGareth2 said:

not all Thais are mourning

Maybe, but those that are not are hardly advertising the fact, quite understandably. My observations though are more about the "farangs" who seem determined to ensure that all other "farangs" are mourning, and doing so in a manner which they, and not the Thai people, feel is appropriate.

Perhaps they will be at the front of the queue if "Block Wardens" are ever recruited here...

1 hour ago, BangkokTony said:

This quote comes to mind whilst reading these posts....My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!    M de Sade

There are cruder if less eloquent ways of making the point  ("I don't give a ...")

but yes, absolutely!

6 hours ago, poohy said:

Look sonny!

I presume you are a foreigner if so you have no horse in this race!

Anyway Shes Thai it's her country she can do what she damn well wants

You realize that what you just said makes everything even more bad, right?

For the past three days I've stayed home, looked after the garden etc etc and not gone out to have a party and a good time.

It's 3 days for goodness sake.

My wife has been to the temple etc etc and followed what she believes is the right thing to do at this time that is important to the Thai people.

What is the problem with people who want to fly in the face of a country's respect.  Do they ever consider the freedom they have for the other 362 days of the year?

I watched a lot of it on tele' and have respect and feeling for, especially, the guards standing in the sun and heat for hours on end. Most of the guys complaining about the bars being closed couldn't do it for 5 minutes, most likely most of them probably can't stand up in shorts and a T shirt for 5 minutes.

Forget your arguements about confusion on what will close and what will be open, they only show a lack of planning and thought process on your part.

Edited by overherebc

Does anyone know if Hotels were selling alcohol. Just curious and not taking sides on the matter.

I'd also imagine with most of the nightlife been closed last night that the beaches would have been fairly busy early today with bright eyed farang tourists due to the  lack of hangovers and i'd guess other real businesses done well, cinemas, restaurants and that. 

Does anyone know if Hotels were selling alcohol. Just curious and not taking sides on the matter.

I'd also imagine with most of the nightlife been closed last night that the beaches would have been fairly busy early today with bright eyed farang tourists due to the  lack of hangovers and i'd guess other real businesses done well, cinemas, restaurants and that. 

Cinemas were closed. People could drink at home, so I would imagine many did just that.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

WHY?

No idea what you are talking about

Although from Bangkok originally but with many years down south She is certainly not a monarchist by any means, she takes care of herself but not revolutionary either 

As far as she is concerned  herself and family and home  (me included)are important not something happening 350 miles away to the north in bangkok

Lastly what right do you have as as a spotty farang to judge a Thai person

I welcome you inane comments

Edited by poohy

10 minutes ago, poohy said:

WHY?

Although from Bangkok originally but with many years down south She is certainly not a monarchist by any means, she takes care of herself but not revolutionary either 

As far as she is concerned  herself and family and home  (me included)are important not something happening 350 miles away to the north in bangkok

Most of the spotty farang ( nice one) only see living here as their way of being self important. The majority of them have never actually had any contact with, my expression, real Thai people. I won't expand on that.

Their life is bars and has to be every night, you never know they might miss something new!!!

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Sometimes you really are a sad case of the highest order, what, as a visitor to this country (that is of course if you do actually live here) gives you the right to tell anyone, Thai or foreigner how to behave or dress ?

I see your posts and believe me Get Real, sometimes you are better off saying nothing at all.

You are rude and abusive in the extreme at times, many people on here have made an effort as have I not to upset the locals by wearing appropriate clothing when required, acting in a dignified and respectful way towards the Thai population in their grief, and you have the audacity to tear into a guys Thai wife because she decided to cut the grass ?

I suppose it was above your plane of intelligence to think that maybe she needed a distraction from her grief....... No I thought not. One word for you........................ Prat. 

3 hours ago, irishken said:

In Chiang Mai things seem to be back to normal on alcohol sales, bars, etc. 

5 hours ago, poohy said:

WHY?

I was not about being monarchist or revolutionary. I was not being concerned about things that doesn´t include you. It was not how far away it was. At last it was not about judging a foreigner or a Thai. It was definately not if I am spotty or not.

Appearently it was about something far above your knowledge and life form. You know what? It was a simple as being able to show respect. Probably an alien concept for you.

looks like the drinking thing is well under the hammer right now all across the Globe, well in the UK as I have just seen for the first time. Having arrived for an extend stay due to medical probs, I got talking to many old friends and arranged get togethers. I was shocked to finds so many of the old meeting places I.e Quality Pubs now closed down. Some really classic family dining and meeting places are now close, some even already now display 5 0r 6 (and more) new houses, now sitting on the plot of your old favourit pub.

These are real old quality public houses I am talking about, makes you want to shed a tear or two. So where the hell do you now meet up with old friends, you have not seen for years? Please do not say Bloody McDonalds or the local Library.

Sad to see history being annihilated by the booze who far to many think is so evil, its the person not the bottle that does the damage.

hey last time I visited my favourite meeting place, they served coffee and I drank it.