China tells Sweden it has freed Swedish bookseller abducted in Thailand - Swedish government

snoop1130

China tells Sweden it has freed Swedish bookseller abducted in Thailand - Swedish government

30x8wsl.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Members from the pro-democracy Civic Party carry a portrait of Gui Minhai (L) and Lee Bo during a protest outside the Chinese Liaison Office in Hong Kong, China January 19, 2016. REUTERS/Bobby Yip/File Photo

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - China has informed Sweden that it has freed a bookseller detained for publishing books on the personal lives of President Xi Jinping and other Communist Party leaders, the Swedish foreign office said on Tuesday.

Gui Minhai, a Chinese-born Swede, was abducted in Thailand while on holiday in 2015. He was among five Hong Kong booksellers who went missing in 2015 and later appeared in mainland Chinese custody. The four others have returned to Hong Kong.

"We have been told by Chinese authorities that Gui Minhai has been released in China," foreign office spokeswoman Sofia Karlberg said, offering no further details.

However, Minhai's family questioned if he really was free. His daughter said in a statement that he was to be released on Oct. 17 but had made no contact with her or any other relative.

"Today it has been a week since October 17 and I still do not know where my father is," Angela Gui said. "I am deeply concerned for his wellbeing."

China's Foreign Ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Earlier this year Gui Minhai won a prize for free speech and press freedom awarded by Swedish media organisation Publicistklubben.

(Reporting by Johan Ahlander; editing by Mark Heinrich)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-24

33 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Earlier this year Gui Minhai won a prize for free speech and press freedom awarded by Swedish media organisation Publicistklubben.

I guess he has since learnt where best to avoid, if used to practising such privileges.

5 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

He's one lucky ducky, for having a connection to Sweden. China rules with such an iron fist.  We outsiders probably only hear the tiniest % of oppression there.

Can't be easy , governing over 1.3 billion people.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I note that the word abdcuted was used, not arrested, so he was illegally detained, and as it happened in Thailand, you have to assume for him to end up in China that the Thai Government were also complicit in it.

When the Chinese offered a couple of free subs for a little help, the general must have been a little surprised when the Subway vouchers arrived. :cheesy:

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I note that the word abdcuted was used, not arrested, so he was illegally detained, and as it happened in Thailand, you have to assume for him to end up in China that the Thai Government were also complicit in it.

The Thai government was complicit.  They knew what was going on and allowed it to happen.

Tough times in China for freedom of speech.

18 minutes ago, car720 said:

We have to go for accuracy with numbers though.  China has 5 times the population of the USA but we hear of many more cases of cover-ups there than in  China.  If you go after the big boys in any country you will suffer the consequences.

You suffer the consequences more so in a country with zero press freedom.  Hard to get the bad news out.  Just like in Russia.

1 hour ago, car720 said:

We have to go for accuracy with numbers though.  China has 5 times the population of the USA but we hear of many more cases of cover-ups there than in  China.  If you go after the big boys in any country you will suffer the consequences.

Even with a giant population, the formula for maintaining oppression is simple:  Particularly if you control all the uniformed/armed people in the nation,  Yes, even the Chinese military (PLA) is controlled by the several old men running the Politburo - the military is not controlled by the people, despite its name.

So here's the formula:  Tell all the uniformed and/or armed forces in the country (including occupied regions like Tibet and Uigur), that complete compliance with non-free-speech laws are mandatory. Anyone who bends those laws (even by just putting a book on a bookshelf which doesn't praise the ruling class).... must be dealt with immediately and harshly.   If the culprit happens to have a European passport, well, then she/he may luckily slip between the cracks.

There are some similarities with Thailand, but I'm told not to go there.

Would be interesting to know how they were spirited out of Thailand under the sharp eyes of Thai border security. I am assuming here that Thailand rendered a spirited demand for their return given the flagrant disregard for Thai sovereignty.

9 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

Would be interesting to know how they were spirited out of Thailand under the sharp eyes of Thai border security. I am assuming here that Thailand rendered a spirited demand for their return given the flagrant disregard for Thai sovereignty.

Thailand was complicit for sure.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/25/asia/hong-kong-bookseller-gui-minhai-us-cecc/index.html

"My father, a Swedish citizen who was abducted by Chinese state agents from a third sovereign country, is still in unofficial and illegal detention somewhere in China, without access to consular visits or legal representation."

"In the so-called confession my father says he traveled to China voluntarily — but if this is true, then why is there no record of him having left Thailand?" Gui said.

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So much for the  Thailand military guarding Thailand's sovereignty.

2 hours ago, car720 said:

The USA is a true democracy, it is possible to complain about a republican appointed judge to a democratic party senator.

In the USA, it is possible to sue the government in court and win; therefore, newspaper reporters are not afraid to report cover-ups. 

In mainland China, news reporters report only good news that were approved by the government propaganda office.     

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

Even with a giant population, the formula for maintaining oppression is simple:  Particularly if you control all the uniformed/armed people in the nation,  Yes, even the Chinese military (PLA) is controlled by the several old men running the Politburo - the military is not controlled by the people, despite its name.

So here's the formula:  Tell all the uniformed and/or armed forces in the country (including occupied regions like Tibet and Uigur), that complete compliance with non-free-speech laws are mandatory. Anyone who bends those laws (even by just putting a book on a bookshelf which doesn't praise the ruling class).... must be dealt with immediately and harshly.   If the culprit happens to have a European passport, well, then she/he may luckily slip between the cracks.

Things just went from bad to worst, a one party dictatorship has just become a one man dictatorship.  

Chinese news for   10-25-2017. 

"" Xi Jinping now has an institutional guarantee of support. He can be emperor for life -- staying in power as long as his health allows,"

said Willy Lam, an adjunct professor at the Chinese University of Hong Kong's Center for China Studies. ""     

Ordinary Chinese will live under more suppression of freedom.   But it is still much better than before the 1980 economic reform. 

Before 1980, ordinary Chinese were not allowed to travel outside the country or own any small business, period.  

12 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Maybe the Thailand military was guarding China's sovereignty.

Remember Thailand's deportation of Uighur migrants back to China?

http://time.com/3952498/china-uighur-xinjiang-deportations-turkey-thailand-human-rights/

"Smooth as silk"      Thailand was a Japanese ally during WW2,  a unofficial ally of the USA during the Vietnam war,  now Thailand is an unofficial enforcer of Chinese law in Thailand.      What is wrong with that.  

13 minutes ago, car720 said:

Don't live in Russia so I cannot say but I do live in China and I can tell you that the zero press thing is a myth.  Social media coverage of everything here is huge and way more efficient than any western social media that I use.

BS.  I've been in China.  A few of my friends just got back with reports of not being able to connect, VPN's not working, social media not working.  Even my Chinese friends tell me this.  You'll have to provide links to credible news reports that backup what you say.

Even Winnie the Pooh has been banned! Too funny.

This lays it out quite well.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/15/asia/china-party-congress-internet-censorship/index.html

The ideological war playing out on China's internet

I dare say these booksellers would disagree with you also.

11 minutes ago, car720 said:

One must question where this information comes from.  My rickshaw driver picks me up every day in a 5 series bmw.  I have never seen such wealth held by the average joe blow in any other country.

Best troll post I've read in months.  Too funny.

This would be educational for you to read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

China is ahead of Brazil and Colombia.  But not by much. LOL

7 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

"several old men running the Politburo"

You keep milking this phrase on various topics related to the PRC. In reality, most are in their 60's, with some early 70's around. Not all that different from say, the USA.

3 minutes ago, Morch said:

"several old men running the Politburo"

You keep milking this phrase on various topics related to the PRC. In reality, most are in their 60's, with some early 70's around. Not all that different from say, the USA.

Yes indeed, and that explains the sorry state of politics in most countries.

12 minutes ago, car720 said:

You sound like an intelligent guy to me.  I just can't figure out why anyone with intelligence would believe CNN as a source of anything.

A comment like that shows your bias.  CNN is an OK news outlet.  Not the best, but far from the worst.

You didn't reply to my request.  Please show a credible link that backs up what you are saying.  Otherwise, well....

Here's a few more good articles backing up the very good article from CNN.

https://thediplomat.com/2017/08/chinas-new-wave-of-internet-censorship-name-verification-for-online-commenting/

China's New Wave of Internet Censorship: Name Verification for Online Commenting

China announces new rules, forbidding unidentified netizens from posting anything on internet platforms

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/08/science-suffers-china-s-internet-censors-plug-holes-great-firewall

Science suffers as China’s internet censors plug holes in Great Firewall

And of course China ranking 176 out of 180 countries, the bottom of the list, is pretty good evidence. LOL

https://rsf.org/en/ranking

15 minutes ago, car720 said:

I get the distinct feeling that perhaps you are involved with the security services.  If not then let me say that, yes, one can tell what a horse has been eating by examining the entrails or one can simply ask the horse.  Remember that the Chinese did not invent the word 'spin'.

LOL.  Not part of the security services.  But do try and research what people post.  And if inaccurate, post a response.

The Chinese probably did invent the concept of the "spin". Their society has been around longer than most.  And if you study their history, you know about the intrigue and BS surrounding the royal courts.

20 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The Chinese probably did invent the concept of the "spin".

Spin appears to be a product of mass modern communications such as radio and tv, mostly attributed to Britain and the US.

In a society ruled by dynasties such as the history of China there would be little concern about what the "masses" believe about the state of politics, especially given the slow dissemination of information throughout the kingdom. Although I do believe President Xi is a practitioner of spin to garner public popularity, albeit unnecessary to keep his office.

3 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Spin appears to be a product of mass modern communications such as radio and tv, mostly attributed to Britain and the US.

In a society ruled by dynasties such as the history of China there would be little concern about what the "masses" believe about the state of politics, especially given the slow dissemination of information throughout the kingdom. Although I do believe President Xi is a practitioner of spin to garner public popularity, albeit unnecessary to keep his office.

When we visited the palaces in China, a common theme was fires that burnt them down.  Started by the Eunuchs who ran the royal household.  Why?  You can't make money (corruption) unless you spend it.  LOL.  I'm sure the "spin" they put on why the fires started were quite interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_in_the_People's_Republic_of_China

Aspects of propaganda can be traced back to the earliest periods of Chinese history, but propaganda has been most effective in the twentieth century owing to mass media and an authoritarian government.[3] China in the era of Mao Zedong is known for its constant use of mass campaigns to legitimize the state and the policies of leaders. The CPC successfully made use of modern mass propaganda techniques, adapting them to the needs of a country which had a largely rural and illiterate population.[3]

I would think China and Russia are masters at this. LOL

23 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The irony is that what they learned came from democratic countries where officials are elected by the public where perception is everything.

You did read that article?  They were using propaganda before the US was even a country!  As for Russia, they've been doing this for centuries also.  Easy to research that.