Prayut warns some areas must be sacrificed to floods

webfact

Prayut warns some areas must be sacrificed to floods

By SAKDA SAMERPOP, 
PRATCH RUJIVANAROM 
THE NATION 

b54cbb549271957bcfe494ccdbdcf626-sld.jpe

PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha, who has used special powers under Article 44 of the interim charter to set up a new water management office, has said some areas of the country will have to be sacrificed to prevent other areas from flooding.

Meanwhile, people in designated flood-retention areas said they had had to endure flooding for more than four months without knowing when the waters would recede.

Prayut said yesterday after a Cabinet meeting that the government was concerned about flooding problems in many provinces and had ensured that preparations had been made for the flood season. But he insisted that some areas had to be allocated for water retention to prevent flooding elsewhere.

According to the Royal Irrigation Department (RID), floods are affecting 20 provinces across the country, mainly in the Chao Phraya River Basin in the Northern and Central Region and Chi River Basin in the Northeastern Region.

c43437f69f0e91043ad5befa7d8e9648.jpg

Prayut said that despite the government’s efforts to prepare for floods, the inundation had persisted due to the changing climate and unexpected heavy rain. “I would like to thank farmers in 12 water-retention fields in the Central Region for receiving floodwater,” he said.

“Some other areas may also be flooded; that is because of the high volume of water. The government is trying its best to prevent floods, but in some areas we cannot do that and we have to let them flood.

“We need to sacrifice some areas in order to protect the rest from flooding. I understand that the flood victims have troubles, but we cannot let all areas be flooded.

“I assure you that there will be compensation for the damage.”

Meanwhile, Penkae Bunkayai from Sena District in Ayutthaya, said she and her mother had been living uncomfortably with flooding for four months, as her neighbourhood was in a floodwater retention area. She added that there had not been any notification from authorities as to when the water would recede.

4ba8df56b9bdf2afac198dcad4812abd.jpg

“The water level only keeps rising. It will only take a few centimetres to reach the highest flood levels of 2011,” Penkae said. “But there is no news from the local authorities about how long we will have to wait until we can live normally on dry land.”

She said many people in her village were senior citizens. Flooding had made transport difficult in and out of the village, which could be dangerous if people needed emergency help. She added that while there had been regular distributions of dry food, what people really needed was drinking water.

“This year’s flood is only a little less severe than the big flood in 2011 and I just hope that we will pass this disaster soon,” she said.

Many provinces in the lower Chao Phraya River Basin have seen rising water levels.

2eee94c1714276dada2e398a568e5e8c.jpg

The Chao Phraya Dam water discharge has been increased to 2,700 cubic metres per second, which has caused the water level in Chai Nat, Sing Buri and Angthong to rise by 25 centimetres, and the level in Ayutthaya and further downstream to rise by 20 centimetres.

The water levels in the Tha Chin River, a tributary of Chao Phraya, have also increased, setting off flood alarms in four district of Suphan Buri. In the Northeastern region, Ubonrat Dam has already reduced its water discharge to 45 million cubic metres of water per day, which will relieve flooding in the Chi River Basin.

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department deputy director-general Kobchai Boonyaorana said authorities were taking care of people in flood-retention areas. Despite the fact that there had so far been no financial compensation for their sacrifice, they would receive funds to repair flood damage, Kobchai said.

“The department, local authorities and the Army are trying our best to ensure that [people] will live as comfortably as possible. We will maintain flood aid distribution at least once every four days. If people in flood-affected areas face any difficulties, they can contact our department directly for help,” Kobchai said.

Government Spokesperson Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the National Council for Peace and Order had exercised its power to set up the National Water Resource Management Office, which would oversee policy to ensure integrated water management.

8fcf0186b022013a88731dfbd9042bf5.jpg

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30330049

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-25

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha, who has used special powers under Article 44 of the interim charter to set up a new water management office, has said some areas of the country will have to be sacrificed to prevent other areas from flooding.

Er does he mean Bangkok?

It would not do to have flooding in the capital.

perhaps if they spent serious money on water management as soon as forced themselves into power they could of been controlling water better now !

This has been a known problem for years yet same incompetence continues and billions of baht wasted on army toys and nonsense while lack of water control continues.
They lost a lot of investment because of this as not many companies interested in flooded factories etc yearly lol . Would of made sense push the projects due to Royal departure and his devotion to this field .

I'm sure current PM be happy in one of his chinese subs while the farmers drown . total incompetence under yingluck and totally same under uncle buck ....

DGDje_Ts_UIAMWp8x.jpg

Edited by BuckBee

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Prayut said yesterday after a Cabinet meeting that the government was concerned about flooding problems in many provinces and had ensured that preparations had been made for the flood season.

That's a bloody lie, Prayut, since it is a fact that many larger reservoirs had not been prepared to take additional heavy rainfall. You and your lethargic cohorts had not ensured that preparations had been made for the flood season; that's a FACT, so stop your face-saving lying before it becomes more natural to you than telling the truth. Like with your promised election dates, no-one believes you any more . . . maybe you put those lies down to 'changing climate and unexpected heavy rain.' Thailand lies in a monsoon belt; didn't you know?

Edited by Ossy
Message clarity

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“I assure you that there will be compensation for the damage.”

Not for comforting coming from a man who wields god like powers in Thailand. 

It will be interesting to see what compensation the sacrificial lambs will receive and why they were made to sacrifice for others.  Thai rak Thai

"...has said some areas of the country will have to be sacrificed to prevent other areas from flooding."

Translation: There is not a chance in hell that we can have any flooding in Bangkok this week.

"...without knowing when the waters would recede."

I would guess that the waters will be allowed to recede starting from the 30th onward

29 minutes ago, Ossy said:

That's a bloody lie, Prayut, since it is a fact that many larger reservoirs had not been prepared to take additional heavy rainfall. You and your lethargic cohorts had not ensured that preparations had been made for the flood season; that's a FACT, so stop your face-saving lying before it becomes more natural to you than telling the truth. Like with your promised election dates, no-one believes you any more . . . maybe you put those lies down to 'changing climate and unexpected heavy rain.' Thailand lies in a monsoon belt; didn't you know?

A round of applause for you... All you wrote is the truth, and of course no one dares to tell the good General that or else...

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department deputy director-general Kobchai Boonyaorana said authorities were taking care of people in flood-retention areas. Despite the fact that there had so far been no financial compensation for their sacrifice, they would receive funds to repair flood damage, Kobchai said.

Oh yeh! . . . pull my other one. Farang instinct says "Kobchai talk gobshite"

Edited by Ossy
punctuation

Said the same thing 5 yrs ago. This year, however, they said no major flooding. The rain continues, flooding continues and people continue to die and face serious hardship as a result. This is what happens when people can buy degrees and positions. Lots of rich, but dumb people running the show. Then the rich, dumb people have kiddies, buy their 'education' and positions etc. etc. Let's just hope the rains ease.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, people in designated flood-retention areas said they had had to endure flooding for more than four months without knowing when the waters would recede.

Which part of the word "flood-retention area" these people and some TV-posters don't understand??

And why does the government has to pay for damage when a flood-retention area gets flooded???

I mean......<deleted>??

1 hour ago, Ossy said:

I would like to see some data to back up your claims, given the fact that unlike during YL her reign water was already released to make room for more water. Id like to see your data because I am curious. 

Also the rain is falling different as before, normally Isarn area does not flood it did this year. So there certainly are changes. 

But please feel free to back your story up with some facts I love to learn more.

Excuse Mr Prime Minister, you are managing a country now, not an army! You no longer have "troops" to sacrifice! You are dealing with citizens who have a legitimate right to dry houses and an ability to go about their daily business.

“We need to sacrifice some areas in order to protect the rest from flooding. I understand that the flood victims have troubles, but we cannot let all areas be flooded."

So, my fellow Thais,, ask not what I can do for you, ask what you can do for Bangkok. [apologies to JFK]

9 minutes ago, GordonP said:

You are dealing with citizens who have a legitimate right to dry houses and an ability to go about their daily business.

In a flood-retention area??? 55555555

A retention basin is used to manage stormwater runoff to prevent flooding and downstream erosion, and improve water quality in an adjacent river, stream, lake or bay. Sometimes called a wet pond or wet detention basin or stormwater management pond, it is an artificial lake with vegetation around the perimeter, and includes a permanent pool of water in its design.[1][2][3]

Edited by Thian

30 minutes ago, robblok said:
1 hour ago, Ossy said:

I would like to see some data to back up your claims, given the fact that unlike during YL her reign water was already released to make room for more water. Id like to see your data because I am curious. 

Also the rain is falling different as before, normally Isarn area does not flood it did this year. So there certainly are changes. 

But please feel free to back your story up with some facts I love to learn more.

Just for you, Robblok, FACTS are now highlighted in royal purple. Data relevant to ill-prepared reservoirs - depth and volume measurements and dates, for example - should be available from the Department for Prevention & Mitigation of Disasters, the crucial word, here of course, being 'should'. Did you really expect me to have those figures to hand? . . . there are limits to my resourcefulness, like anyone else's. If measurements were recorded, they've probably been flushed down the loo, by now . . . too incriminating! The boss's name escapes me, but it's included in the opening clip.

1 minute ago, Thian said:

Why so quiet now countryboys?? Come on, more Thai bashing because they led the flood-retention area's flood...or did you guys just learn a new word?

How could the authorities ever have thought "wow floods are coming we should do something to help the people".  Ridiculous thought.