Prayut warns some areas must be sacrificed to floods

webfact

17 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well more holes then; say 650,000. 150mm in dia'. Compsensate for all the comcrete. BUT my first choice is the 100km causeway.

You can NOT be serious . . . the water has to go somewhere and the further out to sea the better, espec with all sea-levels rising. What's Prayut gonna do about that? . . . another act of God? Pity the poor guy that gives him that news.

Edited by Ossy
omission

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Oh, Owl . . . you're somethin' else!    Crabs and other sea creatures. I can't eat my lunch for laughing. I'll get my lad building the pumping stations now. He runs one of UK's biggest tank & pump manufs and would be cock-a-hoop if this job came off.

Well I reckon that your lad could do a good job then.

Look at it this way. The Chinese built a long wall; great wall even. They are also building islands in the sea. That place in Middle East is building a map of the world. Trump is asking for ideas for his Mex/US wall.

Thailand could build a causeway no prob's.

The environmentalists have to be satisfied so crab holding areas and places for the shrimps to breed would be needed. And sand eels!

The big worry is if the submarines got stranded when the pumping started. Might make Thailand look like silly billies internationally if that happened. Someone would need to inform Ch-o-ch about the scheme.

46 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well I reckon that your lad could do a good job then.

Look at it this way. The Chinese built a long wall; great wall even. They are also building islands in the sea. That place in Middle East is building a map of the world. Trump is asking for ideas for his Mex/US wall.

Thailand could build a causeway no prob's.

The environmentalists have to be satisfied so crab holding areas and places for the shrimps to breed would be needed. And sand eels!

The big worry is if the submarines got stranded when the pumping started. Might make Thailand look like silly billies internationally if that happened. Someone would need to inform Ch-o-ch about the scheme.

I've sent a map to my boy and, although the 100km causeway and pumping would be 'no probs', he needs pretty good assurance that draining the Gulf will fully sort the BKK flooding issue, i.e. will it let the Chao Phraya do a complete job of coping with 'Act of God' like rains. OK, he's a stickler for detail, like his old man. And he wants to know how Prayut's fixed for payment; my lad'll be wanting 99% up-front and the rest in Tesco tokens . . . payable on the 1st of the month.

I hope you're not joking, after all my boy's planning.

57 minutes ago, Ossy said:

I've sent a map to my boy and, although the 100km causeway and pumping would be 'no probs', he needs pretty good assurance that draining the Gulf will fully sort the BKK flooding issue, i.e. will it let the Chao Phraya do a complete job of coping with 'Act of God' like rains. OK, he's a stickler for detail, like his old man. And he wants to know how Prayut's fixed for payment; my lad'll be wanting 99% up-front and the rest in Tesco tokens . . . payable on the 1st of the month.

I hope you're not joking, after all my boy's planning.

It's a radical plan Ossy. Good to have you aboad!

I see two prob's. At the mo BKK is, on average, only a metre or so above sea level. This can easily sorted by lowering the sea level; which it obviously would be due to the draining. This would be done gradaually over maybe a two year period. Once done the new dry area would be more than large enough to handle anything that might come down Chao Phraya and the other lesser streams.

The second is more of a land problem; making sure the water can get to the sea (now drained) without causing destruction.

I'm a fisherman and I'm always off to BangKapi for the giants in Bansumran and this coupled with my Civil Engineering background make me well qualified to actually manage the causeway project. (Are you listening in to TVForum Ch-o-ch?).

I estimate the basin when drained would hold approximately 22 km3. Thare is also the pumping! Much of the cost would be self generating.

If the Chinese can build a wall 2000km long (don't know exact figure) then a piddly little causeway across the BKK bay should be a piece of cake.

As for the latter part of your response Ossy; this is a 10 year project. Ch-o-ch could be out of office before completion. I'm sure there would be plenty of Baht for all concerned.

Edited by owl sees all

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

It's a radical plan Ossy. Good to have you aboad!

I see two prob's. At the mo BKK is, on average, only a metre or so above sea level. This can easily sorted by lowering the sea level; which it obviously would be due to the draining. This would be done gradaually over maybe a two year period. Once done the new dry area would be more than large enough to handle anything that might come down Chao Phraya and the other lesser streams.

The second is more of a land problem; making sure the water can get to the sea (now drained) without causing destruction.

I'm a fisherman and I'm always off to BangKapi for the giants in Bansumran and this coupled with my Civil Engineering background make me well qualified to actually manage the causeway project. (Are you listening in to TVForum Ch-o-ch?).

I estimate the basin when drained would hold approximately 22 km3. Thare is also the pumping! Much of the cost would be self generating.

If the Chinese can build a wall 2000km long (don't know exact figure) then a piddly little causeway across the BKK bay should be a piece of cake.

As for the latter part of your response Ossy; this is a 10 year project. Ch-o-ch could be out of office before completion. I'm sure there would be plenty of Baht for all concerned.

2 Q's. 1) When you say BKK only 1m above 'sea level', I guess that means at high tide, rather than a mean or average H-L level. What is the normal tidal range of the Gulf?  and 2) How the hell are the Pattaya crowd gonna swim without sea? . . . ah, got you there?

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 12:46 PM, farcanell said:

True true true.... from what I understand the army engineers look after the Mississippi, at a staggering cost

it comes down to infrastructure and maintenance thereof...  not something done well in this country

Ah, the M word. No point in spending trillions on flood work if it's just going to be left to fail. Pattaya's pumping stations need big investment as equipment apparently not maintained, and they now have floods on a road that runs beside the sea 55555555555555555555.

29 minutes ago, Ossy said:

2 Q's. 1) When you say BKK only 1m above 'sea level', I guess that means at high tide, rather than a mean or average H-L level. What is the normal tidal range of the Gulf?  and 2) How the hell are the Pattaya crowd gonna swim without sea? . . . ah, got you there?

No expat with a brain cell swims in Pattaya Bay.

28 minutes ago, Ossy said:

The figures for tides can be looked up I reckon. BKK is very low. It is built an a natural delta and thus has difficulty in shedding big amounts of water. Our causeway would sort this Ossy. The deepest part of our new bay would be around 25 metres,

Pattaya would be well south of the causeway.

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The figures for tides can be looked up I reckon. BKK is very low. It is built an a natural delta and thus has difficulty in shedding big amounts of water. Our causeway would sort this Ossy. The deepest part of our new bay would be around 25 metres,

Pattaya would be well south of the causeway.

Such a pity . . . I was hoping it could be an extension of Walking Street :sick:   I'll check up on the tides, but a 25m high causeway, + a couple of metres to accommodate tourist attractions, is gonna take quite a few truck-loads of rock. Good news for the quarries though.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah, the M word. No point in spending trillions on flood work if it's just going to be left to fail. Pattaya's pumping stations need big investment as equipment apparently not maintained, and they now have floods on a road that runs beside the sea 55555555555555555555.

Ha-ha, indeed! You took the laughs right out of my mouth.

Edited by Ossy
omission

Building a causeway for flood prevention will not really be practical. To drain that area will require pumps that can pump the entire flow of the Chao Pracha year round out to sea - an average of 700 cubic metres per second. And working practically non stop. The energy costs would be substantial, and maintenance costs ..... Plus that little embankment better be cyclone proof ....

As for the environmental effects, hard to even quantify that.

8 hours ago, rickudon said:

Building a causeway for flood prevention will not really be practical. To drain that area will require pumps that can pump the entire flow of the Chao Pracha year round out to sea - an average of 700 cubic metres per second. And working practically non stop. The energy costs would be substantial, and maintenance costs ..... Plus that little embankment better be cyclone proof ....

As for the environmental effects, hard to even quantify that.

The  volume factor may well account for my lad having gone a bit quiet, after his earlier excitement . . . interesting concept, though and there should be no probs about Prayut laughing-off the construction, power and maintenance costs. He might just be persuaded to cancel that dodgy radar gun order.

Just now, Ossy said:

The  volume factor may well account for my lad having gone a bit quiet, after his earlier excitement . . . interesting concept, though and there should be no probs about Prayut laughing-off the construction, power and maintenance costs. He might just be persuaded to cancel that dodgy radar gun order.

Well Ossy. I see you are still contemplating the causeway.

Take no notice of the doubters. The bay would be treated like a reservioir. The pumps would only get brought into action at certain times. 

Wading birds!!

21 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well Ossy. I see you are still contemplating the causeway.

Take no notice of the doubters. The bay would be treated like a reservioir. The pumps would only get brought into action at certain times. 

Wading birds!!

Maybe something similar to Singapore ‘s Marina Barrage.

Extract from an Article: -

For a single piece of infrastructure, Marina Barrage does a remarkable number of things. It holds back the ocean, offering low-lying areas flood protection during storms and a hedge against sea-level rise. It stores fresh water from a massive catchment zone, helping the city-state wean itself off water imports from Malaysia. And on a crowded island of 6 million people, the lawn and the reservoir itself have created some much needed recreational space. It’s a popular place to run, bike, sail boats, and take wedding photos.

Singapore has bad floods from high tide. Similar to Bangkok in respect to low sea level. Since the construction of the MB, Singapore has not experience a major flood. The cost USD175 M or thereabouts. 

5 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The cost USD175 M or thereabouts. 

Is that all?! They did very well.

My figures, for the BKK  basin, is about 10/15 Billion Dollars US. But that is over a decade.

The biggest problem in all this is Thai thinking. The thought of a 10 year project can't even be contemplated.

Edited by owl sees all

8 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Maybe something similar to Singapore ‘s Marina Barrage.

Extract from an Article: -

For a single piece of infrastructure, Marina Barrage does a remarkable number of things. It holds back the ocean, offering low-lying areas flood protection during storms and a hedge against sea-level rise. It stores fresh water from a massive catchment zone, helping the city-state wean itself off water imports from Malaysia. And on a crowded island of 6 million people, the lawn and the reservoir itself have created some much needed recreational space. It’s a popular place to run, bike, sail boats, and take wedding photos.

Singapore has bad floods from high tide. Similar to Bangkok in respect to low sea level. Since the construction of the MB, Singapore has not experience a major flood. The cost USD175 M or thereabouts. 

How many barrage/causeway convicted T-V posters would it take, before Prayut would consider listening to us? And, if it came to that, who would do the talking? I nominate Owl, providing he keeps his owl mask on. Just imaging the media reaction . . . "Prayut likes Owl's plan and tuweets cabinet."

On 26/10/2560 at 1:31 PM, Ossy said:

Oh, Owl . . . you're somethin' else!    Crabs and other sea creatures. I can't eat my lunch for laughing. I'll get my lad building the pumping stations now. He runs one of UK's biggest tank & pump manufs and would be cock-a-hoop if this job came off.

Ossy. I'm going to get together a project, I did some years ago, on Liverpool and message you. Pass it onto your son and see what he thinks.

Can i be honest with you? I don't care if BKK slides into the mud.

Edited by owl sees all

7 minutes ago, wayned said:

The biggest problem in all this is Thai thinking. The thought of a 10 year week project can't even be contemplated.

Excellent . . . I'm still coughing up the coke I was swigging when that came in. This has the makings of a good Saturday.

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Ossy. I'm going to get together a project, I did some years ago, on Liverpool and message you. Pass it onto your son and see what he thinks.

Can i be honest with you? I don't care if BKK slides into the mud.

For a moment, I thought you meant the football team . . . we could do with a plan for that, but too off-topic, maybe.

45 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Is that all?! They did very well.

My figures, for the BKK  basin, is about 10/15 Billion Dollars US. But that is over a decade.

The biggest problem in all this is Thai thinking. The thought of a 10 year project can't even be contemplated.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina_Barrage

View for specs and details.

PS. Better chance to get attention from little P if you put on a frog mask. He is more into amphibians than birds. 

43 minutes ago, Ossy said:

For a moment, I thought you meant the football team . . . we could do with a plan for that, but too off-topic, maybe.

You are needed on the footy forums Ossy. Always some intereting comments there.

But seriously; before I retired to Thailand I did a project on Liverpool docks and how, with a bit of ingenuity, and not too much cost, they could generate enough lecky for the whole city. I'll have to dig it out. Take a little time but I'll get back to you on this. 

In the meantime BKK is slowly but surely sinking into the mud.

Edited by owl sees all

Actually after/during the 2011 flood they started building a levy, ala New Orleans style.  New Orleans is actually below sea level (2-6 meters) with the mighty Mississippi running through the middle of the city similar to Bangkok.  They rely on a system of levies and pumps and it does flood at times when a pump or levy fails or there is a very high storm surge like during Katrina.  Bangkok started a levy using the same concept but in keeping with Thai wisdom ans ambition the project fizzled soon after the flood waters receded in 2012 and now their using boat engines to try to push the water down the river out of the city.  When will they learn the water just doesn't flow up hill.

As far as flooding some ares to save others why do they always flood housing areas with 1000s of townhouses and store front shops to save a few estates with big single family homes.

1 hour ago, wayned said:

Actually after/during the 2011 flood they started building a levy, ala New Orleans style.  New Orleans is actually below sea level (2-6 meters) with the mighty Mississippi running through the middle of the city similar to Bangkok.  They rely on a system of levies and pumps and it does flood at times when a pump or levy fails or there is a very high storm surge like during Katrina.  Bangkok started a levy using the same concept but in keeping with Thai wisdom ans ambition the project fizzled soon after the flood waters receded in 2012 and now their using boat engines to try to push the water down the river out of the city.  When will they learn the water just doesn't flow up hill.

As far as flooding some ares to save others why do they always flood housing areas with 1000s of townhouses and store front shops to save a few estates with big single family homes.

Yes, why indeed? Remember that Abba song? . . . say no more.