Michael Bloomberg: Brexit is stupidest thing any country has done besides Trump

webfact

3 hours ago, taipeir said:

All anecdotal stuff. Bigger population and more money in the economy means more opportunities for dentists in general. Poor dentists don't think so. It fun y how they pick out 'poor' medical professionals from the EU, why would British dentists be better pray tell us?

What happens if EU dentists and medical professionals don't want to work in the NHS anymore....Much worse problems...Guaranteed.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Dentists are overpaid and under worked anyway. Just spit!

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Grouse said:

Surely you meant literary vocabulary?

Actually no, I used the word literal because it " exactly " describes your level of intelligence as I see it

I did not at any time confer any literary competence upon you.

Nor did I ever say that you could not continue to buy your Porsche cars ( though why you would want to waste your money in that way is beyond me ) I actually asked the question > Do you think that after brexit Germany will tell Mercedes and other companies that they can not sell their wares in the Uk ?

Which you misread as Germany will stop sending these products, Germany will not. and so why is it imperitive that we 

buckle to the whiles and stipulations of the euro beaurocrats when all we really have to do is tell them they will do it our way or they can take a running jump.

And now enough is enough I do not wish to have this matter cause ill will as no one will ever win but the potential for friendship is easily lost, and we are all supposed to be friends here.

1 hour ago, Janner1 said:

Actually no, I used the word literal because it " exactly " describes your level of intelligence as I see it

I did not at any time confer any literary competence upon you.

Nor did I ever say that you could not continue to buy your Porsche cars ( though why you would want to waste your money in that way is beyond me ) I actually asked the question > Do you think that after brexit Germany will tell Mercedes and other companies that they can not sell their wares in the Uk ?

Which you misread as Germany will stop sending these products, Germany will not. and so why is it imperitive that we 

buckle to the whiles and stipulations of the euro beaurocrats when all we really have to do is tell them they will do it our way or they can take a running jump.

And now enough is enough I do not wish to have this matter cause ill will as no one will ever win but the potential for friendship is easily lost, and we are all supposed to be friends here.

OK, all good! ?

18 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I think Brexit is smart, as the UK did not want to continue to support, Greece, Italy, Spain and the

other Bakrupt or almost bankrupt countries. Good Luck Germany and France with handling your

countries when the UK does leave.

Geezer

Another stupid remark. The UK makes a fortune headquartering the financial industry for the EU. When Brexit takes place that is all gone. Same as happened to Montreal and Quebec when the seperatists came to power and the Canaidian financial industry moved to Toronto. It took decades for Mtl to recover.

12 minutes ago, pegman said:

Another stupid remark. The UK makes a fortune headquartering the financial industry for the EU. When Brexit takes place that is all gone. Same as happened to Montreal and Quebec when the seperatists came to power and the Canaidian financial industry moved to Toronto. It took decades for Mtl to recover.

And another stupid remark. When brexit takes place, the financial industry won't all be gone. It won't even be mostly gone. It won't even be substantially gone. The financial institutions are already making minor adjustments to get them by post-brexit regulations, whilst consolidating (and in some cases expanding considerably) their London operations. I won't be surprised if the odd operation jumps ship to Europe. And I'll be even less surprised by the shrill doomsday silliness from remainers if that happens, just like when that Lincolnshire fancy dress company theatrically moved a dozen-and-a-half jobs to Amsterdam as a brexit protest.

19 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I think Brexit is smart, as the UK did not want to continue to support, Greece, Italy, Spain and the

other Bakrupt or almost bankrupt countries. Good Luck Germany and France with handling your

countries when the UK does leave.

Geezer

You're right. Germany and France simply don't have any spare money to increase subsidy of the EU once the UK leaves. That's why a two speed/two class EU is being touted by them. And it's imo a concept that will turn ugly very quickly, should it become an eventuality. It's also imo the reason why the the paupers of the EU are being kept onside by the strategy of arm-twisting the UK out of a post-brexit five or six year financial subsidy that covers the shortfall.

3 hours ago, Khun Han said:

And another stupid remark. When brexit takes place, the financial industry won't all be gone. It won't even be mostly gone. It won't even be substantially gone. The financial institutions are already making minor adjustments to get them by post-brexit regulations, whilst consolidating (and in some cases expanding considerably) their London operations. I won't be surprised if the odd operation jumps ship to Europe. And I'll be even less surprised by the shrill doomsday silliness from remainers if that happens, just like when that Lincolnshire fancy dress company theatrically moved a dozen-and-a-half jobs to Amsterdam as a brexit protest.

If you think that will satisfy EU politicians you are living in a dream world. 

Its substantially going to be smaller.

Don't deny reality because reality is already happening.

https://qz.com/1095155/brexit-contingency-plan-goldman-sachs-leases-floors-in-marienturm-tower-frankfurt-germany/

"Major financial players like Goldman use London as a financial hub due to its membership within the European Union. The UK’s capital acts a conduit for some of the sector’s most lucrative businesses, such as the processing of euro-denominated derivatives contracts by clearing houses, which is worth around €930 billion ($1.1 trillion) per day of trade."

Loss of EU passporting is just the first step.

The EU will crack down very hard if London tries to act as a tax haven for EU money.

Lota of idiots on here taking about UK becoming a low cost tax haven, be careful what you wish for. Only small countries cab survive on that kind of bread AND they won't let the UK have easy access to EU money.

No way.

Brexit latest: ’London WILL remain Europe’s financial capital’ admits Bloomberg

Bloomberg, another member of the Project Fear Club. It should be remembered that every prediction made by remoaners has proven FALSE, worse still for the remoaners is the fact that since the Brit referendum the EU is in chaos, Catalonia being the latest example.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/872280/London-WILL-remain-Europe-s-financial-capital-admits-Bloomberg

4 minutes ago, johna said:

Bloomberg, another member of the Project Fear Club. It should be remembered that every prediction made by remoaners has proven FALSE, worse still for the remoaners is the fact that since the Brit referendum the EU is in chaos, Catalonia being the latest example.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/872280/London-WILL-remain-Europe-s-financial-capital-admits-Bloomberg

Catalonia, a Spanish internal matter, is wholly irrelevant to this issue and hardly reflective of the cohesiveness of the EU. The primary source of chaos in the EU is the utterly shambolic UK government showing their ineptitude daily. 

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Catalonia, a Spanish internal matter, is wholly irrelevant to this issue and hardly reflective of the cohesiveness of the EU. The primary source of chaos in the EU is the utterly shambolic UK government showing their ineptitude daily. 

that's the Expresses interpretation not Bloomberg's - in reality it is more like ly that Frankfurt will take over.as many firms in London will lose their trading rights.

Remainers predicted just about everything correctly, but no Brexiteer will admit to be an utter fool, so they just change their tone from "paradise" to "it's going to be hard at first" - in the mean time organs like the Express are now desperately searching for items to misinterpret to give some glimmer of hope to the increasingly embarrassed Brexiteers. one shouldn't attack the messenger....unless the messenger deliberately gets the message wrong.

It seems that Brexiteers subscribe to the philosophy that if it ain't workin' prperly then smash it......In the end if it ain't going to be that good, why kick it in the first place?

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

that's the Expresses interpretation not Bloomberg's - in reality it is more like ly that Frankfurt will take over.as many firms in London will lose their trading rights.

Remainers predicted just about everything correctly, but no Brexiteer will admit to be an utter fool, so they just change their tone from "paradise" to "it's going to be hard at first" - in the mean time organs like the Express are now desperately searching for items to misinterpret to give some glimmer of hope to the increasingly embarrassed Brexiteers. one shouldn't attack the messenger....unless the messenger deliberately gets the message wrong.

It seems that Brexiteers subscribe to the philosophy that if it ain't workin' prperly then smash it......In the end if it ain't going to be that good, why kick it in the first place?

I stopped reading at this point:

"Remainers predicted just about everything correctly"

:laugh:

How are things up there on planet Tharg?

10 hours ago, pegman said:
13 hours ago, Khun Han said:

If you think that will satisfy EU politicians you are living in a dream world. 

The major financial institutions are making adjustments to comply with the post-brexit EU financial market.

If you think that said financial institutions (who keep the whole show on the road) will allow EU politicians to break their own financial rules and laws, you are living on planet Tharg along with Airbagwill.

5 hours ago, johna said:

And only residents of planet Tharg (and remainers, of course) could read this as somebody else's interpretation of what Bloomberg said:

"Mr Bloomberg said: “London will still stay the financial capital of Europe. To be a financial centre you have to be family friendly and English speaking. English is the business language.

“And family friendly means communications and transportation and culture. London and New York are the only two cities that qualify. There are just not any other cities that have what these two cities have and that is not going to go away short-term.”"

London and New York family friendly?

Ehmmm no not really unless you have a gazillion dollars, even then there are surely hundreds of cities that are more 'family friendly'.

Also English can be widely used across Europe and around the world!

The major financial institutions are making adjustments to comply with the post-brexit EU financial market.

If you think that said financial institutions (who keep the whole show on the road) will allow EU politicians to break their own financial rules and laws, you are living on planet Tharg along with Airbagwill.
Shouldn't you be using the usual rhetoric like Juncker and EU dictators lol.

The EU politicians who matter are the PMs and Presidents of the 27 nations who will look after their own economic interests first.

This process is already well underway and will accelerate rapidly by December.

So, we have the tenth richest person in the world (who happens to be very anti-brexit) telling us that London will remain the financial capital of Europe for the foreseeable future (and putting his money where his mouth is). Then we have A.N.Onymous on ThaiVisa forum telling us that London will lose it's financial industry very soon. Hmm.....who to believe? Difficult call :laugh:.

“London will still stay the financial capital of Europe. To be a financial centre you have to be family friendly and English speaking. English is the business language." 

I think Blumberg is going senile 

Business takes the path of least resistance and that would be the only reason Londonf could remain the financial center of Europe. Brexit will create all sorts of resistance in capital flow between the UK and EU  and if Bloomberg thinks that Business will absorb such resistance simply because  London is "Family friendly and English speaking" 

Well read my opening sentence again.

Some will leave , and some will stay, the ones who leave will provide easier service. business loves easy. Soon the rest will follow .

45 minutes ago, sirineou said:

“London will still stay the financial capital of Europe. To be a financial centre you have to be family friendly and English speaking. English is the business language." 

I think Blumberg is going senile 

Business takes the path of least resistance and that would be the only reason Londonf could remain the financial center of Europe. Brexit will create all sorts of resistance in capital flow between the UK and EU  and if Bloomberg thinks that Business will absorb such resistance simply because  London is "Family friendly and English speaking" 

Well read my opening sentence again.

Some will leave , and some will stay, the ones who leave will provide easier service. business loves easy. Soon the rest will follow .

Except that nobody is leaving, but they are all putting provisions in place to continue trading with Europe from the UK. Michael Bloomberg knows this, as does anybody else capable of reading the news. But ThaiVisa's remainers (especially our European bretheren) have wet dreams that everybody is desperate to move lock stock and barrel to Europe.

53 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Except that nobody is leaving, but they are all putting provisions in place to continue trading with Europe from the UK. Michael Bloomberg knows this, as does anybody else capable of reading the news. But ThaiVisa's remainers (especially our European bretheren) have wet dreams that everybody is desperate to move lock stock and barrel to Europe.

Any EU agencies will leave there's about three I think, most of the banks and financial services will have to have a physical presence in the EU if they want to do business there that doesn't mean that they will move their total operation there. It may depend on the attitude they get from the locals after Brexit and the value of the pound, if they get treated badly and the pound say reaches parity with the €$¥ etc London and it's about London may lose its shine.

Just now, adammike said:

Any EU agencies will leave there's about three I think, most of the banks and financial services will have to have a physical presence in the EU if they want to do business there that doesn't mean that they will move their total operation there. It may depend on the attitude they get from the locals after Brexit and the value of the pound, if they get treated badly and the pound say reaches parity with the €$¥ etc London and it's about London may lose its shine.

Of course EU agencies will have to leave: we won't be in the EU any more! The financial industry has already started making provision in Europe. The attitude of the locals is one of the reasons why none of the financial industry will leave: everybody enjoys the social scene in vibrant, open London, and most find places like Frankfurt boring and sterile. That's basically what Bloomberg was alluding to.

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

Of course I have no independent knowledge on the matter but,

As of September 28, 2017 according to Blumberg.

" Frankfurt has emerged as the biggest winner in the fight for thousands of London-based jobs that will have to be relocated to new hubs inside the European Union after Brexit.

Morgan Stanley, Citigroup Inc., Standard Chartered Plc and Nomura Holdings Inc have picked the German city for their EU headquarters to ensure continued access to the single market. Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and UBS Group AG are weighing a similar decision, said people familiar with the matter, asking not to be named because the plans aren’t public. HSBC Holdings Plc is the biggest non-French bank so far to opt for Paris, while Barclays Bank Plc has plumped for Dublin.

London could lose 10,000 banking jobs and 20,000 roles in financial services as clients move 1.8 trillion euros ($2.1 trillion) of assets out of the U.K."

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-brexit-bankers/

According to The Guardian

"Several hundred banks and companies have contacted German authorities about expanding in Frankfurt, as the city vies to become the EU’s principal financial centre after Brexit "

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/21/banks-and-companies-plan-expansion-in-frankfurt-after-brexit

28 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Of course I have no independent knowledge on the matter but,

As of September 28, 2017 according to Blumberg.

" Frankfurt has emerged as the biggest winner in the fight for thousands of London-based jobs that will have to be relocated to new hubs inside the European Union after Brexit.

Morgan Stanley, Citigroup Inc., Standard Chartered Plc and Nomura Holdings Inc have picked the German city for their EU headquarters to ensure continued access to the single market. Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and UBS Group AG are weighing a similar decision, said people familiar with the matter, asking not to be named because the plans aren’t public. HSBC Holdings Plc is the biggest non-French bank so far to opt for Paris, while Barclays Bank Plc has plumped for Dublin.

London could lose 10,000 banking jobs and 20,000 roles in financial services as clients move 1.8 trillion euros ($2.1 trillion) of assets out of the U.K."

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-brexit-bankers/

According to The Guardian

"Several hundred banks and companies have contacted German authorities about expanding in Frankfurt, as the city vies to become the EU’s principal financial centre after Brexit "

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/21/banks-and-companies-plan-expansion-in-frankfurt-after-brexit

This is getting boring. I will repeat: all the major financial institutions are making provision in Europe (as identified in your links) to enable operation post-brexit. Nobody is doing any more than the bare minimum necessary to do so. You claimed that some will leave London, followed by the rest. Can you provide any verification that any bank/insurance company/etc has stated that it has plans to do what you claimed?

7 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

This is getting boring. I will repeat: all the major financial institutions are making provision in Europe (as identified in your links) to enable operation post-brexit. Nobody is doing any more than the bare minimum necessary to do so. You claimed that some will leave London, followed by the rest. Can you provide any verification that any bank/insurance company/etc has stated that it has plans to do what you claimed?

We are talking about Banks Trading with the EU  that are now based in London,

and after Brexit, depending on the brexit agreement for future financial relationships they will have to go where it is easier to do business. Only to the extent that they have to, anyone doing more than the minimum required would be  leaving money on the table.

Business always takes the path of least resistance.

But  any that remain behind because London is "fun" ,or  is "family friendly", is staying for the wrong reasons and is doing less than the "bare minimum"  as such will be under producing .. They will be facing headwinds those who have left will not. They will not be taking the path of least resistance. Eventually they will have to go, or they will be underperforming,

No one said that All banks will leave. only that part dedicated to European finance, 

As such I don't see how  London can remain the center of European finance if the center of European finance is elsewhere. 

It is only logical . anyone who thinks otherwise is simply whistling in the dark.

Notice I said " depending on the brexit agreement" but personally for reasons I have stated  in other threads dedicated to that subject, I don't think the UK will get a favorable agreement in that respect.

But I could be wrong, and if I am it will not be the first time. 

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:33 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

This is a fascinating question that I haven't answered to my own satisfaction yet.

On the face of it, electing Trump ought to be ahead by several miles. 

However, Trump is short term and there are various ways to remove him; he could be impeached, the Russia probe might (will) get him, the 25th amendment, etc. Or, he could simply have a heart attack tomorrow; he is 72, doesn't exercise much and does not seem to be in good shape.

The UK had free access to a market of a couple of hundred million people in a stable, peaceful area with countries of generally similar values (democracy, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, etc.), and gave that up for... sovereignty? The right to be small? Sorry, I still don't quite understand why the UK left.

Hmm...

More thought required...

Is Bigger Better? I don't know! I do know that the UK has done very well on it's own for a very long time and I suppose it will continue to do so.

It is obvious though that when people voted for BREXIT, they did not feel they shared this similar values as the other countries you mentioned. But I do feel they should have negotiated this deal better before entering, and not now when they are going.

Trump also wants to dissolve Free Trade between Canada and Mexico (NAFTA). So maybe why the comparison between Trump and BREXIT? Canada needs to increase there infrastructure on the West Coast so they are better positioned to trade with the Asian Markets. It was just easier to drive a truck over the border, or by rail, then building a new pipeline.  

35 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Is Bigger Better? I don't know! I do know that the UK has done very well on it's own for a very long time and I suppose it will continue to do so.

the times when countries did well on their own are long gone!

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

We are talking about Banks Trading with the EU  that are now based in London,

and after Brexit, depending on the brexit agreement for future financial relationships they will have to go where it is easier to do business. Only to the extent that they have to, anyone doing more than the minimum required would be  leaving money on the table.

Business always takes the path of least resistance.

But  any that remain behind because London is "fun" ,or  is "family friendly", is staying for the wrong reasons and is doing less than the "bare minimum"  as such will be under producing .. They will be facing headwinds those who have left will not. They will not be taking the path of least resistance. Eventually they will have to go, or they will be underperforming,

No one said that All banks will leave. only that part dedicated to European finance, 

As such I don't see how  London can remain the center of European finance if the center of European finance is elsewhere. 

It is only logical . anyone who thinks otherwise is simply whistling in the dark.

Notice I said " depending on the brexit agreement" but personally for reasons I have stated  in other threads dedicated to that subject, I don't think the UK will get a favorable agreement in that respect.

But I could be wrong, and if I am it will not be the first time. 

So, after all the above speculation, your answer is 'no', you can't provide a single example of a business in the financial industry stating that it will leave post-brexit London.

It would appear that even the most staunch Brexiteers agreeit would be a bad thing - unfortunately it IS actually happening.

The UKset tol leave the EU in March 2019.

Banks need time to apply for and obtain banking licences, they need to have full contingency plans in place this year.

The Bank of England has asked banks to provide it with their Brexit plans by 14 July. (????)

So.........The following companies are have, are moving or have arranged to move due to Brexit.

These are companies that are doing this publicly, others are keeping schtum

Deutschebank 4000 jobs

Barclays movinh HQ to ireland

Drinks giant Diageo moving its vodka production out of Scotland because of Brexit.

40 percent of games companies based in the UK relocating after the UK decided to leave the EU. Due to “talent drain”

Goldman Sachs already moving staff away from the UK.

Lloyds of London moving to Brussells

Microsoft expending in EU instead of UK

Smiffy’s - the costume and fancy dress supplier has been headquartered in Gainsborough and Leeds for the past 120 years, yet Smiffy’s director, Elliot Peckett, announced it would open a new head office in the Netherlands as a result of Brexit.

Irish authorities have clinched deals with more than a dozen London-based banks to move part of their operations to Dublin in preparation for Brexit, according to a Guardian report.

Japanese bank Nomura has officially picked Frankfurt as its post-Brexit HQ and will move jobs out of London

US bank Morgan Stanley will shift some operations from London to Frankfurt.

UBS, HSBC, JP MORGAN,  Soc Generale, Sank of America, Citigroup, Credit suisse with a loss of up to 70,000 jobs

And possibly most significant of all.... European Banking Authority once the EU agency leaves its London headquarters after Brexit we will lose any influence we has through that.

don't forget also that companies like Nissan Toyota and Honda, together with their suppliers will fold and go especially now the EU has a new FTA with Japan.

many companies that existed in the UK to take advantage of duty-free trade with the EU will have no reason to stay.

however the UK can look forward to modelling itself on Norway, Switzerland etc and hopefully corner the market in cuckoo clocks and whale blubber

6 hours ago, Naam said:

the times when countries did well on their own are long gone!

I could not agree with you more!

I understand the desire of those who want to leave the EU , the place they want to go was a good place, at least for them ,

But I am afraid that place no longer exists. It is long gone. 

I wish them luck, perhaps where they go is a better place. If so we will join you. If not please come back , we will miss you. 

11 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

It would appear that even the most staunch Brexiteers agreeit would be a bad thing - unfortunately it IS actually happening.

The UKset tol leave the EU in March 2019.

Banks need time to apply for and obtain banking licences, they need to have full contingency plans in place this year.

The Bank of England has asked banks to provide it with their Brexit plans by 14 July. (????)

So.........The following companies are have, are moving or have arranged to move due to Brexit.

These are companies that are doing this publicly, others are keeping schtum

Deutschebank 4000 jobs

Barclays movinh HQ to ireland

Drinks giant Diageo moving its vodka production out of Scotland because of Brexit.

40 percent of games companies based in the UK relocating after the UK decided to leave the EU. Due to “talent drain”

Goldman Sachs already moving staff away from the UK.

Lloyds of London moving to Brussells

Microsoft expending in EU instead of UK

Smiffy’s - the costume and fancy dress supplier has been headquartered in Gainsborough and Leeds for the past 120 years, yet Smiffy’s director, Elliot Peckett, announced it would open a new head office in the Netherlands as a result of Brexit.

Irish authorities have clinched deals with more than a dozen London-based banks to move part of their operations to Dublin in preparation for Brexit, according to a Guardian report.

Japanese bank Nomura has officially picked Frankfurt as its post-Brexit HQ and will move jobs out of London

US bank Morgan Stanley will shift some operations from London to Frankfurt.

UBS, HSBC, JP MORGAN,  Soc Generale, Sank of America, Citigroup, Credit suisse with a loss of up to 70,000 jobs

And possibly most significant of all.... European Banking Authority once the EU agency leaves its London headquarters after Brexit we will lose any influence we has through that.

don't forget also that companies like Nissan Toyota and Honda, together with their suppliers will fold and go especially now the EU has a new FTA with Japan.

many companies that existed in the UK to take advantage of duty-free trade with the EU will have no reason to stay.

however the UK can look forward to modelling itself on Norway, Switzerland etc and hopefully corner the market in cuckoo clocks and whale blubber

And again, this is just a list of companies that are making provision to operate in the EU post brexit. It is not a list of companies that are leaving, as you so falsely claim.

I guess that remainers feel the need to be so disingenuous all the time because the bald facts don't support their arguments. The only thing they got right was the currency drop, but everybody predicted that. And even that's working mostly in the economy's favour now.

Archived