Michael Bloomberg: Brexit is stupidest thing any country has done besides Trump

webfact

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I could not agree with you more!

I understand the desire of those who want to leave the EU , the place they want to go was a good place, at least for them ,

But I am afraid that place no longer exists. It is long gone. 

I wish them luck, perhaps where they go is a better place. If so we will join you. If not please come back , we will miss you. 

images (38).jpg

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Khun Han said:
6 hours ago, Naam said:

the times when countries did well on their own are long gone!

I could not agree with you more!

I understand the desire of those who want to leave the EU , the place they want to go was a good place, at least for them ,

I wish them luck, perhaps where they go is a better place. If so we will join you. If not please come back , we will miss you. 

Countries co-operating on trade, security and suchlike is fine. An extra tier of bloated, corrupt pseudo-government that is stealthily trying to take control is not fine.

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:25 PM, pegman said:

Another stupid remark. The UK makes a fortune headquartering the financial industry for the EU.

The UK is not headquartering the financial industry for the EU.  London has been the world's financial hub for decades, together with New York.

That will not change anytime soon. For financiers, London is in the DNA.  Already we are hearing of major banks scaling back plans for moving staff out of London.

7 hours ago, Naam said:

the times when countries did well on their own are long gone!

Plenty of countries are doing well (e.g. Singapore), and none of them are in a political union like the EU. You may be confusing trading arrangements with political unions.

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

That place was slowly swallowed up and stifled by EU homogenisation over the past 4/5 decades.  You may think it's gone.  It just needs to be set free again.

45 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Plenty of countries are doing well (e.g. Singapore), and none of them are in a political union like the EU. You may be confusing trading arrangements with political unions.

Sure there are some EU leaders that  wish for a truly political union.

But the EU is in reality mostly only an economics union - a weak one too, with different - competing - tax systems, different social legislation, different health care systems etc.

Most of the communal rules are about economics or economics related.

And again: if you believe in total national self determination, why stop at Brexit? Should every region not have total selfdetermination? Or even back to independent cities? Build a wall around London and negotiatiate with other cities about trade, access, acceptable currencies, temporary residence rights?

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Do you want a Singapore government and lifestyle for your family? Bye!

17 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Sure there are some EU leaders that  wish for a truly political union.

Yes, and this is where the EU is heading. An EU army, and tax harmonisation etc.  How can vastly different nations (financially and emotionally) all be merged into one super state? They answer is they can't, and why should they?

20 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

And again: if you believe in total national self determination, why stop at Brexit? Should every region not have total selfdetermination? Or even back to independent cities? Build a wall around London and negotiatiate with other cities about trade, access, acceptable currencies, temporary residence rights?

I think you know that is a futile argument.  I could say to a remainer why stop at Europe? We could have a World Union, and become one single global country!

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

Yes, and this is where the EU is heading. An EU army, and tax harmonisation etc.  How can vastly different nations (financially and emotionally) all be merged into one super state? They answer is they can't, and why should they?

I think you know that is a futile argument.  I could say to a remainer why stop at Europe? We could have a World Union, and become one single global country!

I could say to a remainer why stop at Europe? We could have a World Union, and become one single global country!

Great idea!

World peace at last!

Alle menschen werden brüder!

Eventually it will happen, but just not yet....

First patriots will continue killing different patriots for a few centuries more.

21 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Do you want a Singapore government and lifestyle for your family? Bye!

Singapore was just an example.  I'll make it simpler. No successful nation outside the EU is in a political union with other countries.

Ask yourself, of the 27 members tied into the EU, how many have long term successful economies? Germany...errm...

5 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I could say to a remainer why stop at Europe? We could have a World Union, and become one single global country!

Great idea!

World peace at last!

Alle menschen werden brüder!

Eventually it will happen, but just not yet....

First patriots will continue killing different patriots for a few centuries more.

So you're German.

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

The UK is not headquartering the financial industry for the EU.  London has been the world's financial hub for decades, together with New York.

That will not change anytime soon. For financiers, London is in the DNA.  Already we are hearing of major banks scaling back plans for moving staff out of London.

The banking and financial in London has the most lax regulation in the world. Wall St has plenty, but regulators there are very reluctant to investigate any skulduggery.

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Singapore was just an example.  I'll make it simpler. No successful nation outside the EU is in a political union with other countries.

Ask yourself, of the 27 members tied into the EU, how many have long term successful economies? Germany...errm...

France, Belgium, Holland, Luxemburg, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Austria, and others.

Countries like greece or Portugal joined with the hope to do better inside than outside. They do have a long way to go yes.

3 hours ago, vogie said:

images (38).jpg

an utmost irrelevant assumption pertaining to a soon in Thailand retiring American and a cosmopolitan with a German passport who lives a content life as a retiree in Thailand whilst giving a rat's àrse whether there's a Brexit or not and/or Angela Merkel is crowned Empress of the European Union.

rabugento1.gif

25 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The banking and financial in London has the most lax regulation in the world. Wall St has plenty, but regulators there are very reluctant to investigate any skulduggery.

Wall St. regulators are only interested in investigating skulduggery by foreign banks.

3 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Countries co-operating on trade, security and suchlike is fine. An extra tier of bloated, corrupt pseudo-government that is stealthily trying to take control is not fine.

i admit you have a point Khun Han but i still think Britain should have used its considerable clout to find another way than Brexit. i also admit that if i still lived in Germany (we left nearly 20 years ago) my blood would boil quite often when hearing what new büllshite the superfluous good-for-nothing clowns in Brussels concocted and published on 237 pages in two dozen languages. 

disclaimer: i'm not sure whether there is/was another way.

9 minutes ago, lungbing said:

Wall St. regulators are only interested in investigating skulduggery by foreign banks.

I make you right there, But most central banks of the world are owned by roughly the same people.

The people who own the FED also own the B-of-Eng.

17 minutes ago, Naam said:

an utmost irrelevant assumption pertaining to a soon in Thailand retiring American and a cosmopolitan with a German passport who lives a content life as a retiree in Thailand whilst giving a rat's àrse whether there's a Brexit or not and/or Angela Merkel is crowned Empress of the European Union.

rabugento1.gif

It would appear that many of our european brethren do give a "rats arse" of the UKs decision to leave the funny farm, many of them keep reminding the majority of the UK who voted to leave what fools we are.:coffee1:

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

if you consider Singapore a country who's situation can be used for a comparison with Great Britain then... :saai:

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

the answer is they can. after freeing themselves from the colonial exploiting yoke and inspite of a terrible civil war the United States of America evolved to be (presently) politically, economically and militarily the most powerful nation.

40 minutes ago, vogie said:

It would appear that many of our european brethren do give a "rats arse" of the UKs decision to leave the funny farm, many of them keep reminding the majority of the UK who voted to leave what fools we are.:coffee1:

they just state facts. what's wrong with that? apropos majority... ahem... cough...

55 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I make you right there, But most central banks of the world are owned by roughly the same people.

The people who own the FED also own the B-of-Eng.

Please do tell.

Archived