Michael Bloomberg: Brexit is stupidest thing any country has done besides Trump

webfact

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

What does nationality have to do with an argument about the pros and cons of a political decision?

48% of the British voted against brexit, surely that does not mean that their nationality "has to be taken into account" when trying to understand their opinion?

With the EU referendum it VERY MUCH matters about nationality. People from different parts of the world will have different interests in the debate.

For example, a German (with Germany being the main driving force behind the EU, and knowing Germany will need to increase funding for the EU) will generally be anti-Brexit.

The Swiss people I know totally understand why the majority voted to leave. They tend to have a neutral but sympathetic view, in my experience.

Irish and Northern Irish have big concerns about the border issues, and a return to the troubles. It's no wonder they feel passionate about Brexit, and are mostly dead against it.

A US person will be viewing this all from a distance, and will probably have the most neutral view out of all the above.

Do you really think nationality has no effect on this debate?

9 minutes ago, taipeir said:

Where did I insult any race or nationality here?

Knock that false rubbish equivalence right off.

Even in the hypothetical case that I did resort to some kind of racist remark , does it give you the right to do the same to a whole race?

No, it doesn't.

Racists like Dundee need own their own statements.

'So he`s Irish,explains a lot.

I will make allowances in future'.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

You seriously need a chill pill.

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

With the EU referendum it VERY MUCH matters about nationality. People from different parts of the world will have different interests in the debate.

For example, a German (with Germany being the main driving force behind the EU, and knowing Germany will need to increase funding for the EU) will generally be anti-Brexit.

The Swiss people I know totally understand why the majority voted to leave. They tend to have a neutral but sympathetic view, in my experience.

Irish and Northern Irish have big concerns about the border issues, and a return to the troubles. It's no wonder they feel passionate about Brexit, and are mostly dead against it.

A US person will be viewing this all from a distance, and will probably have the most neutral view out of all the above.

Then explain what the nationality of 48% of the British has to do with the debate.

Assume = making an Ass of U and Me

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Then explain what the nationality of 48% of the British has to do with the debate.

What do you mean?  If you are a UK citizen you have a direct interest in the debate, and you are either leave or remain.

Why is it wrong to understand where each person is viewing this debate from?

If we were discussing football would it be wrong to ask which team you support?

And if you support Arsenal, can you not be either for or against keeping Wenger in charge?

13 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

CG1, your thinking is so very dated nationalist! In 2017!

THE Germans think.....

THE Swiss say....

THE Irish this.....

THE Americans that.....

Only, this clearly does NOT apply to the British, since they voted 52% >< 48%.

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

What do you mean?  If you are a UK citizen you have a direct interest in the debate, and you are either leave or remain.

Why is it wrong to understand where each person is viewing this debate from?

If we were discussing football would it be wrong to ask which team you support?

And if you support Arsenal, can you not be either for or against keeping Wenger in charge?

I think you do not understand my question.

43 minutes ago, dundee48 said:

You do know `Irish` is not a race don`t you?

On that technical point you are correct, indeed the entire concept of race is progressively being proved to be an illusion by DNA analysis. We are all mongrels, there is no racial purity.

Almost everyone in Asia is related to Ghengis Khan (He put it about a bit) and likewise in Europe to Charlemagne (So did he). Many Africans are more closely related to Europeans for example, than they are to other Africans whose skin colour they share (Pretty insignificant in the grand DNA picture). 

However rascism is still alive even if the basis for it is wholly flawed. It is essentially predjudice against other peoples, nationalities, groups of people previously identified as being of different ethnicity, etc. “The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races”.  (From the dictionary) 

It is best to avoid saying things that might be seen (Rightly or wrongly) in this light.

46 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

"increase funding" says who? all what needs to be done is cutting down on the tremendous waste of funds that is going on and not only Britain's net contribution but a multiple of it can be saved. Angela Merkel is a pragmatic. she will handle any past-Brexit with one arm tied at her back and doesn't need clowns like Juncker to assist her with ridiculous statements which are not helpful but anger the Brits.

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

I was given a ban from here for calling somebody ignorant, but they allow <deleted> like you to call me a racist, funny how it works.

You were probably banned because you are behaving like a tosser.chill out its just a wind up and it always works with brexiters. 

10 minutes ago, Naam said:

Angela Merkel is a pragmatic. she will handle any past-Brexit with one arm tied at her back and doesn't need clowns like Juncker to assist her with ridiculous statements which are not helpful but anger the Brits.

I certainly hope so.  The heads of the 27 need to be driving this, not failed politicians with too much self interest (Juncker and co).

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

No, I dispute the relevance of your question. Feel free to explain.

You claim that THE Germans, Swiss, Irish have a certain point of view based on being German, Swiss, Irish.

I claim that even THE British do not have a certain point of view based on being British, as they voted about half / half.

Therefore I submit that no nationality has a certain point of view based on their nationality.

To think they have such a common national view is outdated 19th century flag waving patriotism.

Kapisch?

5 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

You claim that THE Germans, Swiss, Irish have a certain point of view based on being German, Swiss, Irish.

I claim that even THE British do not have a certain point of view based on being British, as they voted about half / half.

Therefore I submit that no nationality has a certain point of view based on their nationality.

To think they have such a common national view is outdated 19th century flag waving patriotism.

Kapisch?

Ok, I'll instead use the word 'majority'.  In my business I deal with a lot of Irish, Swiss and Germans. I can safely say all those I encounter have a view in line with my previous comment.  For example, all the Irish I have met (from all walks of life) would prefer it if the UK had voted to remain. There will of course be some who have a different view, but a small minority. Likewise most Swiss have been very supportive and empathetic.

Are you telling me that if they did a poll in Germany asking the question "Should the UK have voted to stay in the EU?", that the result would be evenly split?

Everybody knew the UK was split on this issue.  that's why a referendum was necessary.

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Yes, the whole world is against the UK and against you in particular.

How unfair!

Not at all, i can hold my own in an argument. If you understand my post and have read all of the link you would see "tosser" racist" stupid" "ignorant" I was banned for it, nobody else, that's my comment.

I don't worry about the idiotic EU, they will be gone.

I like Europe though!

Ok, I'll instead use the word 'majority'.  In my business I deal with a lot of Irish, Swiss and Germans. I can safely say all those I encounter have a view in line with my previous comment.  For example, all the Irish I have met (from all walks of life) would prefer it if the UK had voted to remain. There will of course be some who have a different view, but a small minority. Likewise most Swiss have been very supportive and empathetic.

Are you telling me that if they did a poll in Germany asking the question "Should the UK have voted to stay in the EU?", that the result would be evenly split?

Everybody knew the UK was split on this issue.  that's why a referendum was necessary.

So in every European country (OK in the ones you mentioned) there is a clear majority?

Only in the UK there is not?

Sounds familiar in Thai forums: "Mine is different".

Oh, and the Europeans never got to vote about all the exeptions that the UK was given... That would probably have been a clear vote!

1 minute ago, chrissables said:

Not at all, i can hold my own in an argument. If you understand my post and have read all of the link you would see "tosser" racist" stupid" "ignorant" I was banned for it, nobody else, that's my comment.

I don't worry about the idiotic EU, they will be gone.

I like Europe though!

Do you like Europe so much that you learned some European languages?

And there is no need to repeat the words you were banned for.

I have not read those words in many other posts though, so maybe the mods had a point?

So in every European country (OK in the ones you mentioned) there is a clear majority?

Only in the UK there is not?

I believe there would be a large majority view yes. Find me a German who thinks the UK made the right choice.

Oh, and the Europeans never got to vote about all the exeptions that the UK was given... That would probably have been a clear vote!

Now who's being presumptuous :smile:

I believe there would be a large majority view yes. Find me a German who thinks the UK made the right choice.

Now who's being presumptuous :smile:

Now who's being presumptuous..... he said, while waving his flag and singing his anthem, approvingly watched by the sabre rattlers that rule his country.

23 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Now who's being presumptuous..... he said, while waving his flag and singing his anthem, approvingly watched by the sabre rattlers that rule his country.

There will always be national traits, no matter how much you despise them in favour of homogenisation. National traits make the world a more interesting place. 

Generalisation should never be demonised.  I'm British, I'm relatively reserved, I drink a bit too much, and I queue for things. And I don't want my Italian mate to stop waving his arms at me with his thumbs and index fingers clenched together.

Edited by CG1 Blue

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

There will always be national traits, no matter how much you despise them in favour of homogenisation. National traits make the world a more interesting place. 

Generalisation should never be demonised.  I'm British, I'm relatively reserved, I drink a bit too much, and I queue for things. And I don't want my Italian mate to stop waving his arms at me with his thumb and index fingers clenched together.

Oh but I like cultural differences.....

What makes you think I am in favour of homogenisation? - unless of course you are referring to tax laws, social security, civil rights, free movement of people, etc.

What I do not like is flag waving anthem singing patriotism. And that is unfortunately still a common trait even in developed nations and regions.

7 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Oh but I like cultural differences.....

What makes you think I am in favour of homogenisation? - unless of course you are referring to tax laws, social security, civil rights, free movement of people, etc.

What I do not like is flag waving anthem singing patriotism. And that is unfortunately still a common trait even in developed nations and regions.

And miss out on the Scots belting out Flower of Scotland and the Welsh with chests puffed out singing Land of my fathers at the 6 nations, or seeing the Kiwis performing the Haka before a game? Shall we do away with the Olympics opening ceremony with the proud Ethiopian leading his country out with his flag flying high? No thanks

6 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

And miss out on the Scots belting out Flower of Scotland and the Welsh with chests puffed out singing Land of my fathers at the 6 nations, or seeing the Kiwis performing the Haka before a game? Shall we do away with the Olympics opening ceremony with the proud Ethiopian leading his country out with his flag flying high? No thanks

If by that they mean they are better than others, I would indeed not like it. But if they mean that they are culturally different, I applaud it.

PS. The Haka is performed not only by Maoris, but also by white Kiwis.

Edited by oldhippy
haka

18 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I agree with a lot of what you say OH but I can't stay silent on this one.

I would have thought that patriotism is a good thing as long as it doesn't contradict civilised behavior. We would all, in the UK, possibly be speaking German today had it not been for patriotism

What we shouldn't do however, imo is conflate patriotism and nationalism....that's a different story.