Are you a door slammer ?

jippytum

Despite request management  notices in  different accommodations  a small but consistent  number of people seem totally impervious to the fact they are disturbing people by slamming doors every time they enter or exit a room .  Especially so in hotel corridors. Do others notice this problem and has anyone a suggestion  apart from earplugs or  moving hotels to deal with it .

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nope, i walk lightly on wooden floors too.

cant say i pay much attention to it when others do it though, unless its on my own home.

i reckon if this bothers you that much you have never had or lived around children.

edit

as an after thought i cant say i can remember the last time i stayed in a hotel that didnt have a weighted door.

Edited by HooHaa

OMG yes this is big problem. I wake up many times at night in some guesthouse when people slam the doors. Some young people take great glee in slamming the door every time they leave the room.

In Cambodia they have a solution! They put foam rubber strips along the inside of the door it is genius, it makes it impossible to close the door.

The other problem are the Neanderthals who walk on the balls of their feet instead of the their toes...

giphy.gif

I live in a condo and my neighbour is from the USA and has a holier than though jehovas witness attitude and yer he is the worst for this behaviour. He is 41 so I can't say he is young or should know better he's just very inconsiderate and oblivious to his lack of consideration. Not only does he slam doors he has these cloggy heavy shoes that he drops on the floor when he leaves which make a 2nd loud noise. He has done this continually every day sometimes 2-3 times per day for 10 months since we moved in. Rather than complain to this fool we just laugh at him every time he does it. He has never realised. On top of this he likes to move his furniture around and he drags it so it makes an awful noise.

Even after all this crap I find myself feeling sorry for him for some strange reason.

No offence to USA or jehovas just providing info.

We move out this week so the end Is near.

Edited by Rc2702

4 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

On top of this he likes to move his furniture around and he drags it so it makes an awful noise.

That is the other thing in guesthouse i notice some lazy idiots like to move the bed or tables around in the middle of the night but dragging them.

I give them a few chances but at some point i politely  write them a note so you don't have to confront them asking them quiet up.

I live in a condo near the Chinese Embassy. I am the only non Chinese living on my floor. 10 rooms.

One family in particular slams the door...hard....10 to 15 times a day. Heavy door that makes as much noise as a canon.

I complained to the jurist once.... The next day, the door slammed 20 consecutive times at 6:30 am.

I guess they showed me who's boss.

I might go to Home Pro and get some industrial strength door chalking and glue there door shut from the outside.

No cameras around, so....prove it <deleted>

In my apartment building seeing that the windows are always open at each end of the corridor, there is usually a positive pressure out of the rooms when a door is opened. Most people figure out after the first time it happens to control the door as it closes so it won't slam loudly. One imbecile, a young Thai guy after a year has not apparently figured it out, and every time he leaves or enters his room, it slams to the annoyance of everyone. Some people are simply idiots.

Edited by tonray

In hotel corridors  it can be caused by the draught catching the door.

The one that drives me crazy is staff in restaurants dragging the (rather than lifting) chairs in and out from under the tables.

Edited by dotpoom

Just had a good friend from Australia staying with us. (Bugger! Forgot to register him!)

Being older he needed to use the bathroom several times a night. Somehow he would always manage to slam a door getting to and from the toilet, waking up all the non Thais in the house. 

If he had been staying any longer he would have been told!

15 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Just had a good friend from Australia staying with us. (Bugger! Forgot to register him!)

Being older he needed to use the bathroom several times a night. Somehow he would always manage to slam a door getting to and from the toilet, waking up all the non Thais in the house. 

If he had been staying any longer he would have been told!

Perhaps he thought he was on a walkabout in the Outback....ha ha

I notice hotel doors often have a device to shut them and I take caution to not let them slam as not to disturb others. No. No one else seems to care. Same applies to speaking too loudly. When you live in a condo or are in a hotel or out in public you are sharing that space. Always be mindful others may not be on your sleep or mood schedule in those environments. I used to work the midnight shift and had to sleep days. Everyone in my apartment building saw me leave for work at night and return home exhausted in the morning. It never stopped them from slamming doors and having barbecues with music on the lawn outside my window. I know I was the oddball in that case but again if you are sharing space assume someone else is within earshot and show some courtesy. I was at a sauna/spa the other day and immediately got hit with the crying screaming baby in the pool. It seems his caretakers were painfully oblivious to the fact that when a baby cries they are in discomfort or fear. Oh how they laughed at the infants trauma while everyone who came to the spa to relax suffered. Note to obnoxious parents. A spa is not for children. It is not a hotel. Just because there is a pool does not mean screaming and splashing is the appropriate protocol. People are paying to relax in that shared space because they can't for whatever reason do it at home. Lower your voice. Control your children and pets. Clean up after yourself. I try to live by these rules and expect the same from others. 

Ever live in an apartment where it sounds like the people above you are bouncing ball bearings on the floor every day?  PING.........ping...ping...ping..ping.pingpingping.

Glad they didn't live there long.  :sleep:

7 minutes ago, connda said:

Ever live in an apartment where it sounds like the people above you are bouncing ball bearings on the floor every day?  PING.........ping...ping...ping..ping.pingpingping.

Glad they didn't live there long.  :sleep:

I have a girl above me who is a real butter fingers..not ping pong balls but drops what sounds like pens or small objects 3 or 4 times a day. Luckily the rest of the room is solid concrete walls and nothing comes thru from adjacent neighbors and soon they are installing dropped ceilings so that will be mitigated also.

Years ago I was in a hotel inPattaya on the top floor where all the other guexts were apparently Russian.

They would all leave at the same time in the evening and arrive back sometime in the early hours and without exception would all slam the bedroom doors causing disturbance eery night.

So, yes, door slammers are a bloody nuisance with no respect for others.

Why are designers not able to make doors that close quietly?

1 hour ago, csabo said:

I notice hotel doors often have a device to shut them and I take caution to not let them slam as not to disturb others. No. No one else seems to care. Same applies to speaking too loudly. When you live in a condo or are in a hotel or out in public you are sharing that space. Always be mindful others may not be on your sleep or mood schedule in those environments. I used to work the midnight shift and had to sleep days. Everyone in my apartment building saw me leave for work at night and return home exhausted in the morning. It never stopped them from slamming doors and having barbecues with music on the lawn outside my window. I know I was the oddball in that case but again if you are sharing space assume someone else is within earshot and show some courtesy. I was at a sauna/spa the other day and immediately got hit with the crying screaming baby in the pool. It seems his caretakers were painfully oblivious to the fact that when a baby cries they are in discomfort or fear. Oh how they laughed at the infants trauma while everyone who came to the spa to relax suffered. Note to obnoxious parents. A spa is not for children. It is not a hotel. Just because there is a pool does not mean screaming and splashing is the appropriate protocol. People are paying to relax in that shared space because they can't for whatever reason do it at home. Lower your voice. Control your children and pets. Clean up after yourself. I try to live by these rules and expect the same from others.