Paid overstay but only given 18 days.

You obviously have been in Thailand long enough to know that you don't turn up at your local immigration office at 3.40pm like you did and expect them to tend to your needs, you have overstayed pay the fine and suck it up like a man and even then you are lucky the IMO granted you the extension as he could of easily refused you and only gave you 7 days which you would of still had to pay the 1900 baht and you would of had to exit Thailand.

So if I was you I wouldn't leave it till the last minute, you can ask for extension at least 10 days before the tourist visa expires.

Edited by paul18620
  • Like 1

Had you have gone before 13th October, then you would have saved yourself 6,000 THB and avoided the very real chance of getting caught with the prerequisite ban that would have followed.

The only public holiday that affected extending was 13th October, so really, you had no excuse whatsoever to have not extended in time.

I'm amazed that you think you are hard done by, the extension was exactly as it should have been, the only reason you think you have paid for practically nothing is because you did not act prior, illness is not really an excuse, a lot of people still manage to do what is required of them, immigration have been known to do extensions without the presence of the person extending or they have gone to the home / hospital if the circumstances are such and it is properly supported by a letter / certificate issued by a licensed doctor.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

You don't show up at 340pm at immigration ever....

I have been to the CM immigration at about that time and I did get my extension done

As there were in a hurry to close , they even filled the forms out for me and got the whole process done by 4.30 PM

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

its an extension, not a new entry, extensions are added onto the entry stamp, they were correct you were wrong to go on overstay, there is nothing more important than staying legal in the country where you are a guest.

Yes its such a terrible crime  as so many past members have indicated - verging on treason. Maybe, it should become a hanging offense with first offenders being flogged publicly for having the audacity to dare offend giving expats who are the pillar of Farang society a bad name. Overstaying a second time, perpetrators ought to be given a choice of lethal injection or facing a firing squad. I no longer stay long enough to overstay just coming on flying visits and never had the expat mentality to slate any westerners who find themselves in trouble abroad from time to time. The world doesn't revolve around giving out sarcastic advice awaiting a pat on the back  for being so self righteous. 

We're all gonna die so let people remember you for your generosity and kindness not your toxic remarks that you and others deem fit to show some warped sense of authority. Farangs are the backbone of Thailand to help keep the place afloat - excusing the Pun LOL !!!

Edited by ScotBkk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

He made a small mistake. Give it a rest. Came on here for a question he thought was legitimate and gets grief by many. I know you are perfect but no one else is. 

I am sorry, he did not make a mistake and knew full well that he was on overstay, this is obvious by the way he first wrote, he was fully aware that he needed to extend prior to the 13th and just made excuses as to why he couldn't.

I am far from perfect, humans tend not to be, however, with something as important as your immigration status, then I do think I would make the effort to make sure that I was as clean as is possible.

Plus I certainly would not expect to get a full 30 day extension that only starts on the day that I report my overstay.

If that was the case, immigration would be rammed with folks overstaying by up to 2 months, 3 weeks and 6 days, popping in & paying a quick 20k, then expecting to get a 30 day extension on their original 30 day VE entry.

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I am sorry, he did not make a mistake and knew full well that he was on overstay, this is obvious by the way he first wrote, he was fully aware that he needed to extend prior to the 13th and just made excuses as to why he couldn't.

I am far from perfect, humans tend not to be, however, with something as important as your immigration status, then I do think I would make the effort to make sure that I was as clean as is possible.

Plus I certainly would not expect to get a full 30 day extension that only starts on the day that I report my overstay.

If that was the case, immigration would be rammed with folks overstaying by up to 2 months, 3 weeks and 6 days, popping in & paying a quick 20k, then expecting to get a 30 day extension on their original 30 day VE entry.

Seems this has hit a chord with you. Hope your not taking it on the missus or kids having sleepless nights at this pure effrontery on your person. Seek help my friend, don't dwell  on  this it could ruin your life. Your blood pressure must be sky high and could result in burst blood vessels exploding all over your bodily system. Relax, I'm sure your mindset has went into overdrive. The world has been exposed to more violent overstayers who don't give a flying F3ck about paperwork yet you find this mere trivial offense hacking away at you so personally. Get a grip on reality there's a world crisis going on  and overstaying pales into significance compared to your stand against people going against your morality. Life's a bitch and then you die ................:sorry: 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

Seems this has hit a chord with you.

3 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

he world has been exposed to more violent overstayers who don't give a flying F3ck about paperwork yet you find this mere trivial offense hacking away at you so personally.

Not at all bothered in that respect and sleep perfectly well at night thanks, at the end of the day it is entirely up to him if he wants to waste 6,000 THB on a completely avoidable overstay, I just cannot believe that he, or anyone, could then even think that they have been hard done by because they think that paying the overstay resets the clock, that is just plain illogical, as I stated before, he has got his 1,900 THB worth of extension, the rest is som nom na.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Not at all bothered in that respect and sleep perfectly well at night thanks, at the end of the day it is entirely up to him if he wants to waste 6,000 THB on a completely avoidable overstay, I just cannot believe that he, or anyone, could then even think that they have been hard done by because they think that paying the overstay resets the clock, that is just plain illogical, as I stated before, he has got his 1,900 THB worth of extension, the rest is som nom na.

His opening account
So, my tourist visa ran out on the 13th October. I overstayed it until yesterday, due to a mixture of public holidays, illness and also turning up at immigration on Tuesday for a queue ticket at 3.40pm and being told I was too late.

So in between sickness and mishaps obviously this never sat well with you Matt. As said' reflect on the worlds problems at large before you denounce others for flimsy short term overstaying given that we can't all focus on Thailand as the globes epicenter for  any wrong doing. For over a decade  I've heard tv members rant on about this very subject as if their life depended on it. Who really cares mate....... :passifier:

41 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

A few years ago the one time I did a one day overstay and made a land border visa run I too noticed the 1 day taken off.  I wasn't sure what they would do so I wasn't surprised one way or the other.

But in defiance of most things pertaining to Immigration status, it is entirely logical to base any extension on the last date of the original, legally permitted stay rather than tack the full extension onto last day of any non-permitted, illegal overstay. Otherwise the Immigration offices would be chock full of last-minute, extension seeking overstayers handing over cash and still getting the full whack.

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

A few years ago the one time I did a one day overstay and made a land border visa run I too noticed the 1 day taken off.  I wasn't sure what they would do so I wasn't surprised one way or the other.

What you are describing seems totally different from extension of an existing permission to stay. As I understand you, you left Thailand, and returned by land to receive a 30-day visa exempt entry. If you, say, arrived on October 1st, you should have been admitted until October 30th (the day you arrive is treated as day 1 of your 30 days). If instead (in the example above) you were only admitted until October 29th, this would be a mistake which should be corrected. Whether you overstayed during your previous visit to Thailand has no effect on the number of days you are granted on your next visit to the country.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul944 said:

Did you tell them you have been ill? Maybe papers from a doctor to prove it?

That will not help after going on overstay.  Once on overstay it cannot be cancelled.

Before going on overstay it can be used for somebody else to the extension application or an extension for medical treatment.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

What you are describing seems totally different from extension of an existing permission to stay. As I understand you, you left Thailand, and returned by land to receive a 30-day visa exempt entry. If you, say, arrived on October 1st, you should have been admitted until October 30th (the day you arrive is treated as day 1 of your 30 days). If instead (in the example above) you were only admitted until October 29th, this would be a mistake which should be corrected. Whether you overstayed during your previous visit to Thailand has no effect on the number of days you are granted on your next visit to the country.

Ah.  No, I was not on an existing extension of stay. I had originally arrived on the standard 30 day visa exemption.  Then had some transport issues leaving Krabi, and I didn't get to Bangkok and make my visa run until a day later than I had planned.  Went to Cambodia and the two ladies in the immigration room there were really great.  One young lady did the paperwork, the senior lady did the final stamping or whatever.  The young lady was quite pleasant to chat with.  I paid the fine, and all was done in , oh I don't know may have taken 15 minutes total.  There was no line, just a little more paperwork, and they fill out what looked like a work log for their day, etc. This was 2014.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That will not help after going on overstay.  Once on overstay it cannot be cancelled.

Before going on overstay it can be used for somebody else to the extension application or an extension for medical treatment.

But even there have to be some kind of exceptions. What would happen if you were in a coma? Maybe an international hospital is aware of these things and would handle it for you, but if it's a small provincial hospital i doubt they are aware of this.