Let’s honour the late King by committing to the Sufficiency Economy

webfact

OPINION

Let’s honour the late King by committing to the Sufficiency Economy

By Chris Oestereich 
Special to The Nation

Thailand has bid the final farewell to its leader of seven decades, King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

People throughout the Kingdom, and around the world, have celebrated and commemorated his life in a variety of ways. Ceremonies that have been practised until perfect are helping convey the gravity of the moment, while helping the nation begin to move forward.

But when the ceremonies end, people will look for ways to keep the late King’s memory alive, as well as to honour his life’s work. A great way to do so might be to commit to continue the Sufficiency Economy work that was initiated by His Majesty Rama IX.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej created the Sufficiency Economy as a path on which to guide Thai people in a rapidly changing world. It encourages citizens to live simply, to consume only what they really need, to choose the things they purchase carefully, and to understand the impacts their choices and acts have on others and the planet. 

The goal of the philosophy is to “create a balanced and stable development, at all levels, from the individual, family and community to society at large”, and in doing so, to develop the ability to cope with the “critical challenges arising from extensive and rapid changes under globalisation in the material, social, environmental, and cultural conditions of the world”.

Government officials have long been encouraged to seek the middle path in dealing with the forces of globalisation, as they worked to modernise Thailand, while extreme thoughts, behaviours and actions were discouraged. These principles align well with the circular-economy work that I take part in, which aims to nudge society from our largely linear ways back to the sort of circular path in which ecosystems normally function. 

The Sufficiency Economy has three main components: moderation, reasonableness, and self-immunity.

1. Moderation is the idea of avoiding extremes in our behaviour. As such, we should eat enough to maintain energy, but not so much that we gain weight, and we should also allow ourselves to have things we enjoy (like sweets), but not so much that it damages our health.

2. Reasonableness asks us to justify our decisions with clear thinking that relies on the appropriate legal principles, moral values and social norms. So, we should be able to back up our decisions with a logical argument that proves our position is legally allowed, that shows we’ve considered and accounted for the relevant morals, and that we’re in tune with the applicable social norms.

3. Self-immunity aims for resilience and asks us to take responsibility for preparing for the risks which could impact us in a dynamic world. 

The three main components are also accompanied by the conditions of morality and knowledge. Their inclusion tells us that we need to consider what ought to be as we learn about the choices we make and the impacts those have. The end goal of this is the accumulation of wisdom – the quality of having experience, knowledge and good judgement – and its application via wise acts. 

As economist Dr Prasopchoke Mongsawad noted, His Majesty’s Sufficiency Economy philosophy “highlights a balanced way of living”. As a zero-waste practitioner, and a university lecturer who teaches related ideas, I greatly appreciate the late King’s effort to initiate the sufficiency economy. The ideas align well with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that have been created to help humanity collectively find its middle path, so that future generations might enjoy the same opportunity. And those looking for guidance on how to act in accordance with the Sufficiency Economy could learn a lot by digging into the growing body of knowledge around the SDGs.

As a lecturer at Thammasat University’s School of Global Studies, I have the honour of working with Thai students who embody the ideals of the Sufficiency Economy. Our programme, Global Studies and Social Entrepreneurship, attracts students who wish to serve their communities, and drive positive change. We work to help them gain an understanding of the challenges we face from a “big-picture” perspective, and it provides them with tools to begin to meet those challenges head on. I’m looking forward to watching our first cohort graduate next summer, to see how they honour the late King’s work as they start their careers. For my part, I’m redoubling my efforts towards finding my own middle path, and I hope you’ll join me in working toward the same.

We can do much as individuals. We can do far more if we walk this path together.

Chris Oestereich is director of publications at Thammasat University’s School of Global Studies, where he teaches courses related to sustainability and social innovation. He formerly led zero-waste programmes in the US, and he’s the publisher of the Wicked Problems Collaborative, an independent press that focuses on humanity’s biggest challenges. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30330189

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-27

The philosophy has much in common with sustainable development which the UN has been espousing for decades.

For any policy to be followed, there need to be quantifiable and measurable criteria. These criteria, at set times, need to be reviewed against projections and then corrective policies, if required, put in place. The Thai government needs to do this. Woolly statements don't cut it. Where is the Ministry of Sufficiency Economy?

12 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

If ever a plea was destined to fall on deaf ears, this is it. Thai people have waited longer than most to get their snouts in the consumerist trough and won't be taking them out any time soon for anyone.

" So, we should be able to back up our decisions with a logical argument that proves our position is legally allowed, that shows we’ve considered and accounted for the relevant morals, and that we’re in tune with the applicable social norms."

Not only Thai people but their government as well. They have to really ask themselves do we need submarines, new tanks and speed guns at exorbitant prices.  It is not morally acceptable to tell others that 300baht per day is sufficient while money is blown without proper accountability.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Sufficiency Economy has three main components: moderation, reasonableness, and self-immunity.

1. Moderation is the idea of avoiding extremes in our behaviour. As such, we should eat enough to maintain energy, but not so much that we gain weight, and we should also allow ourselves to have things we enjoy (like sweets), but not so much that it damages our health.

2. Reasonableness asks us to justify our decisions with clear thinking that relies on the appropriate legal principles, moral values and social norms. So, we should be able to back up our decisions with a logical argument that proves our position is legally allowed, that shows we’ve considered and accounted for the relevant morals, and that we’re in tune with the applicable social norms.

3. Self-immunity aims for resilience and asks us to take responsibility for preparing for the risks which could impact us in a dynamic world. 

The SE is, without doubt, one of those edicts of the late King, that should be practised, day-to-day, by every resident in LOS. I get the 'Moderation' - espec. advising against over-eating in this disgustingly obese country - and 'Reasonableness' components of the edict, in asking people to behave within accepted ethical and legal norms.

No problems, there, but it's the 'Self-immunity' bit that has me shaking my head in dismay at the all-too-familiar Thai way of saying things in a way that lets everyone off the hook, sort of. No matter how a family goes about its daily life - exemplary or otherwise - they could probably claim to be resilient and to be preparing for the risks, etc., etc., whether they are or whether they aren't . . . who's to judge?

And, just what are those risks, which could impact us in a dynamic world?. . . threat of global war, famine, AIDS, flooding? And how does a 'Dynamic' world differ from an un-dynamic one? Dynamic means 'possessing energy, active', so is the edict saying that everyone should be resilient enough to withstand the risks that this 'alive and active' world poses? Are you - am I, for that matter - resilient and prepared enough to cope with war and famine? No, of course we're not. There will be very few of us, if any - apart from his lordship, maybe - who could claim to have satisfied SE's component3.

If only everybody would try to express things in a way which makes clear sense to everybody, with no groping around in those areas of uncertainty, created by careless phraseology.

Edited by Ossy
omission

24 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Buying those dud GT200, airship and aircraft carrier and the billions that will be spent on military hardware failed the 3 components of sufficiency economy. But the untouchable will still do that again and again. 

They've got diplomatic immunity . . . against such difficult to understand stuff.

18 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Surely the millions of Thai people on 9-15k baht a month are already practicing it? it's the billionaires who are not

.....There are many who live on less than 9k, but yes, they have no choice especially after they have been burned and crippled by debt when, with appalling education in maths, they have no ability to calculate the interest they must pay on credit.

8 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

.....There are many who live on less than 9k, but yes, they have no choice especially after they have been burned and crippled by debt when, with appalling education in maths, they have no ability to calculate the interest they must pay on credit.

I have a hard time passing judgment on the spending habits or math skills of someone making $270 a month when I piss away more than that. 

Before I would, my suggestion is to walk out the door every day for 6 months with 50 baht in our pocket, and limit our discretionary spending to that.  Because that's more than someone living on 9,000 baht a month has left over after paying for rent, food and other essentials. 

If we can do it for 6 months, then maybe we're qualified to pass that judgment.  But I can't imagine a lifetime of it.

I bet a hell of a lot of Thais would love to live within  tenets of the "sufficiency" economy, if only what they had wasn't so insufficient that they don't have any chance of rising up to sufficiency level. 

And so many of the people (not all) banging on about how wonderful it is ,are just spouting off to win the tributes of others. Those do as I say, not do as I do, elitist  <deleted> looking to score brownie points by repeating the words of another.    

Sufficiency Economy [Setakit Por Piang], was the phrase on everyones lips ten years ago, when His Majesty was trying to teach his subjects to adopt this admirable lifestyle of self-sufficiency, restraint and financial probity. Not going into debt, purchasing things that you really need, after saving up for them. Living within your means, all things in moderation, being a lifelong learner, realising that life's riches lie in good health, and an inquiring mind, NOT in money and  the blind acquisition of meaningless stuff and tawdry possessions.

I rather like the 'Voluptuousness of Austerity' [Philip Roth].  But I can assure you, most Thai people do not.

Edited by Jeremy50
spelling

2 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

Sufficiency Economy [Setakit Por Piang], was the phrase on everyones lips ten years ago, when His Majesty was trying to teach his subjects to adopt this admirable lifestyle of self-sufficiency, restraint and financial probity. Not going into debt, purchasing things that you really need, after saving up for them. Living within your means, all things in moderation, being a lifelong learner, realising that life's riches lie in good health, and an inquiring mind, NOT in money and  the blind acquisition of meaningless stuff and taudry possessions.

I rather like the 'Voluptuousness of Austerity' [Philip Roth].  But I can assure you, most Thai people do not.

Said so many guys who probably spent more on meaningless stuff and taudry possessions than a Thai will ever make in their lifetime.  Not aimed at Jeremy50 in particular.  But just by accident of birth very few of us stand on a moral high ground when judging a sufficiency lifestyle.

49 minutes ago, impulse said:

I have a hard time passing judgment on the spending habits or math skills of someone making $270 a month when I piss away more than that. 

Before I would, my suggestion is to walk out the door every day for 6 months with 50 baht in our pocket, and limit our discretionary spending to that.  Because that's more than someone living on 9,000 baht a month has left over after paying for rent, food and other essentials. 

If we can do it for 6 months, then maybe we're qualified to pass that judgment.  But I can't imagine a lifetime of it.

Who is passing judgement? I am purely making an observation and stating my opinion after 11 years here. The only judgement that may be inferred from my post might be of the appalling education that Thais receive.

11 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Who is passing judgement? I am purely making an observation and stating my opinion after 11 years here. The only judgement that may be inferred from my post might be of the appalling education that Thais receive.

Actually the Thai education system seems to be aimed at forcing most Thais to live a 'Sufficient' lifestyle. Maybe this is deliberate, as the poor standard of English being taught might well be; in order to discourage Thais learning about the outside World. Who knows?

Edited by SunsetT

Eat in moderation so as not to gain excessive weight, absolutely, but when every mom and pop shop in the village stocks almost exclusively bad snack foods full of fat and sugar it's a lost cause before it even started, IMO.

As for "Reasonableness", I'm, all for that, but unfortunately many that have power over me do not subscribe to that.

In the end, most of us will try and live good lives, but sometimes it's hard to do so.

It's a delicate area so I will set out my position carefully.There is much all can learn from HM's teachings on the Sufficiency Economy, and from his personal example of frugality.The best guide is the 2007 Human Development Report with the excellent Chris Baker the main contributor.It highlighted the principle of moderation or reasonableness - a need to strike a balance between self reliance and competitiveness, between assigning resources to strengthen social foundations especially in rural communities while at the same time investing to ensure Thailand's business competitiveness.I won't comment on the article heading this thread not least because I find it turgid and almost incomprehensible.I do think that a real effort is needed in Thailand to respect the great legacy we have inherited and not allow it to be hijacked by political interests or pace the article above, fatuous academics.