New Passport / Visa transfer necessary?

I'll be making a new passport next month. I plan on going to Savannakhet to obtain a non-O multiple entry visa shortly after. Is it necessary to transfer the visa to my new passport prior to leaving the country, or will it be alright presenting both passports to the immigration officer upon leaving Thailand?

Any other procedures I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Visas are not transferred.
You can show both passports on departure from the country and they will transfer your current entry stamp from the old one to the new one and stamp out of the country in it.
That is interesting. Could you please explain more about this?
I am in a similar situation.
I just got my ED Visa extension for 1 year in my passport which is full now so I need to apply for a new one.
However, at the German embassy they told me I need to pay 2500 Baht at immigration to transfer the visa to my new passport...
Thank you!

15 minutes ago, CLW said:

That is interesting. Could you please explain more about this?
I am in a similar situation.
I just got my ED Visa extension for 1 year in my passport which is full now so I need to apply for a new one.
However, at the German embassy they told me I need to pay 2500 Baht at immigration to transfer the visa to my new passport...
Thank you!

Immigration will do a annotation of the visa you used for the entry that has been extended and then transfer your entry stamp from that visa, your most recent entry stamp and your current extension of stay stamp.

There is no fee to do the transfer. Not sure where the embassy got that incorrect info.

The embassy should give a letter requesting the transfer when you get your new passport.

• Like 1

Immigration will do a annotation of the visa you used for the entry that has been extended and then transfer your entry stamp from that visa, your most recent entry stamp and your current extension of stay stamp.
There is no fee to do the transfer. Not sure where the embassy got that incorrect info.
The embassy should give a letter requesting the transfer when you get your new passport.
Thank you for clarifying this. Maybe I got it mistaken and the 2500 Baht is the fee for the letter.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can show both passports on departure from the country and they will transfer your current entry stamp from the old one to the new one and stamp out of the country in it.

Is it a rule know by all land borders now ? It happened to me in the past that Mukdahan border officers told me that I should have transferred in BKK...

But it's few years ago, so they now might all understand the rules.

46 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

Is it a rule know by all land borders now ? It happened to me in the past that Mukdahan border officers told me that I should have transferred in BKK...

But it's few years ago, so they now might all understand the rules.

Did you have an extension of stay issued at an immigration office inside Thailand? I have for many years always had the stamps transferred when leaving the country (also at land crossings) when there was no long term extension involved.

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The letter should be free. I have never heard of an embassy charging for it. 

At the Swedish Embassy in Bangkok the letter is free if you get a new passport at the embassy. But the people who get a new passport in Sweden and then return here have to pay for the letter. You can't get it in Sweden. And people make a new passport when they go home because it cost 4 times as much at the Embassy

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The letter should be free. I have never heard of an embassy charging for it. 

I just got my new passport in the mail this week. Enclosed was a letter from the  US Embassy to Thai Immigration asking that my entry stamp be transfered to my new passport.

I got a new passport in January in Bangkok, and then had the visa and retirement extension transferd into my new passport in Jomtiem immigration.

so I have no idea why anyone says it is not possible.

personnally, the idea of keeping two passports each time i travel is a bit stupid. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, anfh said:

... personnally, the idea of keeping two passports each time i travel is a bit stupid. 

The reasons I am aware to carry two passports are:

- You did not do a transfer of your info at an immigration office, so the IO at exit needs to notate your old info in the new passport before they can put the exit-stamp in it (they cannot stamp the old/canceled passport)

- You have a "Visa" in your old passport, which continues to run - such as  "Multiple Entry Visa" - which you can use for further entries (all stamps will go in the new passport, but you show the running-visa in the old one for as long as you continue to use it).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, anfh said:

I got a new passport in January in Bangkok, and then had the visa and retirement extension transferd into my new passport in Jomtiem immigration.

so I have no idea why anyone says it is not possible.

personnally, the idea of keeping two passports each time i travel is a bit stupid. 

Yours is a different case from the OP. He has a valid multiple entry non-o visa in his current passport. He has to use the visa in the old passport to enter the country since a valid visa cannot be transferred. When he enters he shows his new passport on entry to be stamped into the country for the 90 days his visa allows. 

There is only a annotation of your visa in your new passport that cannot be used for entry to the country and an extension of stay stamp. If you want to enter the country and keep your extension valid you need a re-entry permit,

My 2 cents.

On 4th Feburary 2016 I arrived at Mukda Han checkpoint with my empty brand new passport and my old passport F31…….. that was issued on 17.04.2007.  As documented on page 04 in my new passport I had entered LOS at Survarnabhumi on 06.01.2016 with my old passport and a Multiple Non-O-Visa and was admitted till 04. April 2016.

When I arrived at the border checkpoint they refused my exit stamp and told me to go outside the compound and see the nearby immigration office and have those page 04 changes made.

A five minute walk and about 15 min. of work free of charge and everything was done and I could walk back to the border checkpoint, get my exit stamp and leave Thailand.

Passport.jpg

Mukda Han Immigration.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, gzu88bv said:

... When I arrived at the border checkpoint they refused my exit stamp and told me to go outside the compound and see the nearby immigration office and have those page 04 changes made. ...

Some others with new passports also reported having to go to the immigration-office to get the stamp-transfer when leaving at Nong Khai - but that was awhile back.  I guess this policy still holds at some land border-crossings - but will be done without issue when leaving at an airport.

On 27/10/2017 at 4:44 PM, ubonjoe said:

The procedure at the border requires the stamp to be transferred prior to attempting to leave so therefore it is not possible to use two passports to leave Thailand at this crossing. I was directed to the immigration office near to the border crossing at Mukdahan where my 90 day permission was transferred (free of charge) along with the departure card. Once this was done my old passport was of no further use so far as Thai Immigration was concerned. I got caught out by someone who said on this forum that both passports could be used at the border.

9 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

The procedure at the border requires the stamp to be transferred prior to attempting to leave so therefore it is not possible to use two passports to leave Thailand at this crossing.

That only happens where there is a immigration office near the crossing and during working hours of that immigration office. On weekends, holidays and and outside of normal business hours the will do it at the crossing.

The problem is if you go to most immigration offices and only have a visa and/or entry stamp they will tell you do it on departure from the country.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That only happens where there is a immigration office near the crossing and during working hours of that immigration office. On weekends, holidays and and outside of normal business hours the will do it at the crossing.

That is not so. I was directed to the immigration office near to the bridge and had to wait two hours for the office to open. Clearly, in this case, my first attempted crossing did not happen during working hours. The original post was specific to Savannakhet and not a general question about border crossings so what happens at other border crossings is irrelevant. 

11 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

That is not so. I was directed to the immigration office near to the bridge and had to wait two hours for the office to open. Clearly, in this case, my first attempted crossing did not happen during working hours. The original post was specific to Savannakhet and not a general question about border crossings so what happens at other border crossings is irrelevant. 

If you had to wait 2 hours that means you were at the bridge at about 6:30 and would of had to wait until 8:00 for the Lao visa on arrival office to open unless you already had a visa or are from a country that is visa exempt. If you had arrived later than approximately 4 pm or on a weekend they would of done it at the bridge.

I prefer to not get specific for locations for some things since people often read posts without reading the OP to find out where I was referring to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
The German embassy confirmed the fee of 1.000 Baht for the letter. Or should I try without it?
Finally finished the whole procedure today with a visit a CW immigration.
So the above mentioned letter is only needed in case of a lost passport.
Also it states on the application forms for transfer the visa "letter from embassy, if available".
So in case of transfer visa from an expired or full german passport one can omit the letter and save 1,000 Baht.
Hope this helps someone...