Speeding Tickets

wgdanson

Just now, Just Weird said:

Obviously, if there's a sign indicating a different speed limit then that is the revised limit, if it doesn't 'go back to 120' then the limit is still 90!..as confirmed by the illuminated signs.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that where there are the 90 illuminated signs on the motorway, then these are an advisory limit, it is generally where the bridges are, or other possible hazards, however, there are many conflicting 120 limit signs in the same areas and I travel this a lot doing between 100 - 120 and have gone through cameras, never had a ticket for this (yet!).

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

Actually, I'm pretty sure that where there are the 90 illuminated signs on the motorway, then these are an advisory limit, it is generally where the bridges are, or other possible hazards, however, there are many conflicting 120 limit signs in the same areas and I travel this a lot doing between 100 - 120 and have gone through cameras, never had a ticket for this (yet!).

Hey, it's only a tenner fine.

Just now, wgdanson said:

Hey, it's only a tenner fine.

Yes, but I travel this road at least 4 times a week, to & fro Pattaya / BKK and there are at least 7 cameras each way, so it potentially could cost me 14,000 THB a week!

52 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And my initial question was how does the license ban work, not really expecting guys to critcise my driving.                                                                                                                                                      

What? You thought this mercenary TV crowd were gonna give you a free pass?

Regarding your OP, I don't think the license banning or the 'points' or 'endorsements' stage towards suspending a Thai DL is anywhere close to reality. However, for maybe 2 or 3 years, the possibility of having your speeding ticket avoidance coming up on the computer when you go to renew your annual road tax has increased. More than a few have had to go pay the fines or send their wives to do it, before the new tax sticker is issued.

In my experience, I have had one speeding ticket in the mail which caught me dead-to-rights speeding on Highway 7 just south of Suvarnabhumi as I rushed Her Excellency Than Phu Ying Nin na-Nongbua (who had overslept) to catch her morning flight. I didn't wait to see if it would be ignored and since I was in absentia at the time, requested the aforementioned member of Isaan aristocracy to break into the royal purse and go pay the bloody thing which she did.

15 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Yes, but I travel this road at least 4 times a week, to & fro Pattaya / BKK and there are at least 7 cameras each way, so it potentially could cost me 14,000 THB a week!

Only if you are doing 120+ in the 90+ zones.

As explained earlier, when you see a sign saying 90, that is the top speed 'advisory' until you see a sign saying 120, then you can speed up again.

Truly it is not rocket surgery.

5 hours ago, JaiLai said:

My car is registered at a house i no longer live at or own.

About every 3 or 4 months the person there sends the tickets to where i live now, they go straight in the bin.

As far as i know there is no link between the highway police and land and transport dept when you renew tax etc.....

Been like this for years, yet to have any repercussions. 

so you have not informed immigration of your change of address.

49 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Only if you are doing 120+ in the 90+ zones.

As explained earlier, when you see a sign saying 90, that is the top speed 'advisory' until you see a sign saying 120, then you can speed up again.

Truly it is not rocket surgery.

I did post as such earlier actually, the reply you quoted was a reply to the 'it is only a tenner post'.

There are several places where the 90 advisory limits are active and there are 120 limit signs in exactly the same areas.

Interestingly though, from KM78 through to Pattaya on 7 is technically 90, though lots of the new signs erected in preparation for when it does eventually become part of the motorway and there is a speed camera in both directions around the KM110 area, this camera is set to 120 as far as I can tell, as I have, on occasion gone through at 100+, with no ticket, yet I did get a ticket from the BKK bound camera doing 124 a few months back.

As stated, I know of at least 7 active fixed speed cameras located on 7 between Highway 36 / 7 junction and the end of the motorway proper and do take heed to the speed limits, otherwise there would be little point in me going to work to only pay the fines!

27 minutes ago, The manic said:

so you have not informed immigration of your change of address.

Wouldn't change what he posted even if he did inform immigration, the car registration address would not change in that case!

7 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Every time I need to go to Bangkok from the North I worry for about a month if I get any tickets as the first time I got the royal flush on the way back all four so now I drive slower but with the speeds on the Asia highway showing as 90 in some areas when it's an empty road it's quite difficult.

Actually, it's easy. If you are the driver, under your right foot you will find a pedal thingy. It's called an accelerator. By adjusting the amount of pressure that you apply you can control the speed of the vehicle to avoid exceeding the limit......

8 hours ago, Mattd said:

Fraid so, I do not know of any other road(s) that allows 120 km/h

Aren't parts of Highway 9, which has tolls, also marked at 120? It has been a while so I may be misremembering......

35 minutes ago, topt said:

Aren't parts of Highway 9, which has tolls, also marked at 120? It has been a while so I may be misremembering......

MISREMEMBERING is a wonderful word we would never use in English. Great !

8 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Actually, it's easy. If you are the driver, under your right foot you will find a pedal thingy. It's called an accelerator. By adjusting the amount of pressure that you apply you can control the speed of the vehicle to avoid exceeding the limit......

Ah funny f$#ker !

On 10/30/2017 at 7:56 AM, dotpoom said:

Hope I'm not ever in your vicinity when you're pn the road.....8 speeding tickets is an aweful lot?

120 klms is the limit, you must be aware you are going over that...kinda reminds one of the phrase.."driving without due care and attention for other road users"?

On the motorway perhaps but it's certainly not the limit on most roads....90 k/h is.

21 hours ago, Mattd said:

Do they work only in day time ? And where are they ? Never been caught with a 300hp car...

1 minute ago, EcigAmateur said:

Do they work only in day time ? And where are they ? Never been caught with a 300hp car...

They tend to change the positions from time to time, so difficult to say exactly and pretty sure they do not work at night.

90kph is only 55mph

Anyone that can keep to that speed coming from the North to Bangkok without going over the limit in an empty 3 lane road will have to stay in the truck lane which is bumpy as hell. 

I usually set cruise control to 100 and that's painfully slow when it's empty but haven't picked up any more tickets for a few months now.

13 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

90kph is only 55mph

Anyone that can keep to that speed coming from the North to Bangkok without going over the limit in an empty 3 lane road will have to stay in the truck lane which is bumpy as hell. 

I usually set cruise control to 100 and that's painfully slow when it's empty but haven't picked up any more tickets for a few months now.

Few times in my life when I almost had an accident is when I was driving slowly or using the cruise control...