Spider ID please

This morning, while I was working in my garden, there was a large pot lying upside down and I wanted to turn it and plant a tree in it.
Had already some frightening encounters before, I decided to take a broom to turn it over.

As soon as I turned it, about a dozen little spiders (biggest spider was about 8 centimeter from foot to foot.
Also a bigger spider (I assume it was the mother) came out of the pot.

The big spider was about 20 cm from foot to foot.

In the pot was 1 big spider left, but this spider was already a long time dead.
I guess it was bitten by the female and sucked dry.

I could only take pictures of the death spider.
Sorry if the pictures are not very clear.
I never saw the "eyes" of this spider before.

Does anybody have more information about this spider, please?

TIA

IMG_20171030_101104.jpg

IMG_20171030_101123.jpg

IMG_20171030_101146.jpg

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

I'll go with Hunstman.

Can bite but very mild venom is just irritating.

Don't think the one in your photos is too dangerous now though. ?

The one on the pictures will not do any harm.
But the female and the 12 (?) babies are now somewhere close the house or maybe inside the house.
Not a very good perspective.
I hope that they don't like the place and will move to my neighbour who has a far bigger and far more luxury house a I have.
Thanks

7 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

The one on the pictures will not do any harm.
But the female and the 12 (?) babies are now somewhere close the house or maybe inside the house.
Not a very good perspective.
I hope that they don't like the place and will move to my neighbour who has a far bigger and far more luxury house a I have.
Thanks

They are a bit scary looking I will admit.

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

They are a bit scary looking I will admit.

I sure don't want to wake up and see the eyes of that spider (and maybe her family) greeting me "Good morning".
That would give me an instant heart attack.
I can name a hundred better ways to die.

21 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I sure don't want to wake up and see the eyes of that spider (and maybe her family) greeting me "Good morning".
That would give me an instant heart attack.
I can name a hundred better ways to die.

Every few weeks I have a tidy in the garage. Toolboxes on wheels and boxes of stuff on wheels. I use a hook on a pole in my left hand and a can of chaindrite in the other. Things like big spiders I'm sorry to say get blasted.

For the snakes I call in the local catch team and we get a few every year.

On 11/2/2017 at 10:22 AM, wildewillie89 said:

Err on the side of caution with any spider. A Huntsman even can cause a life threatening anaphylaxis reaction if someone is allergic. Usually you do not know you are allergic until it is too late though lol

Presumably only a tiny percentage of the population are seriously allergic to the bite of a Huntsman spider?

I see them quite frequently in my bathroom and bedroom, and agree with a previous poster that they are 'quite scary looking'!

But they scurry off in the opposite direction when they see me - which suits both of us v well.

Funny how we get used to things.  A couple of decades ago (whilst on a holiday), there was an enormous spider next to the toilet when I arrived home late at night - and I was so scared I went outside for a pee/turned the bathroom light off, whilst leaving the bedroom light on and spent most of the night awake :laugh:.  Nowadays, I'm barely bothered when seeing Huntsman spiders. 

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Presumably only a tiny percentage of the population are seriously allergic to the bite of a Huntsman spider?

I see them quite frequently in my bathroom and bedroom, and agree with a previous poster that they are 'quite scary looking'!

But they scurry off in the opposite direction when they see me - which suits both of us v well.

Funny how we get used to things.  A couple of decades ago (whilst on a holiday), there was an enormous spider next to the toilet when I arrived home late at night - and I was so scared I went outside for a pee/turned the bathroom light off, whilst leaving the bedroom light on and spent most of the night awake :laugh:.  Nowadays, I'm barely bothered when seeing Huntsman spiders. 

Yes, would be a tiny percentage. I am from Australia, so slept with Huntsmans on a daily basis, every time you open a letter box one runs up your arm. Very interesting watching them have territorial battles in the house on the ceilings actually. 

I just knew, as when I was young my mum brought in the washing from the line before school. We were in a rush so she quickly chucked on her jeans, put her hands in her pockets as you do with jeans and one bit her. Called the poisons hotline to double check they aren't poisonous. They asked when it bit her, and replied, 'oh you would be dead by now'. 

On 11/2/2017 at 10:48 AM, overherebc said:

Every few weeks I have a tidy in the garage. Toolboxes on wheels and boxes of stuff on wheels. I use a hook on a pole in my left hand and a can of chaindrite in the other. Things like big spiders I'm sorry to say get blasted.

For the snakes I call in the local catch team and we get a few every year.

I prefer to rely on leather gloves and tools (rather than hands) when up-turning things that may home snakes/centipedes spiders.  On the odd occasion one of them is hiding underneath - they've always run away to another hiding place.

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I prefer to rely on leather gloves and tools (rather than hands) when up-turning things that may home snakes/centipedes spiders.  On the odd occasion one of them is hiding underneath - they've always run away to another hiding place.

These things scare the crap out me.

images.jpg

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

These things scare the crap out me.

images.jpg

Same here!  Which is why I always wary in the garden when re-potting plants/moving pots/digging holes etc. - and use tools/wear leather gloves.

A few encounters made me realise that with these basic precautions they can't hurt me and, more importantly, run away to hide elsewhere.

The thought of one in the bedroom during the night, still frightens me though!

24 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Yes, would be a tiny percentage. I am from Australia, so slept with Huntsmans on a daily basis, every time you open a letter box one runs up your arm. Very interesting watching them have territorial battles in the house on the ceilings actually. 

I just knew, as when I was young my mum brought in the washing from the line before school. We were in a rush so she quickly chucked on her jeans, put her hands in her pockets as you do with jeans and one bit her. Called the poisons hotline to double check they aren't poisonous. They asked when it bit her, and replied, 'oh you would be dead by now'. 

So why post the earlier fear-mongering post?

Err on the side of caution with any spider. A Huntsman even can cause a life threatening anaphylaxis reaction if someone is allergic. Usually you do not know you are allergic until it is too late though lol

It only encourages people to kill all spiders - in case they may be one of the 'tiny percentage' with a life-threatening allergic reaction.

49 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

So why post the earlier fear-mongering post?

It only encourages people to kill all spiders - in case they may be one of the 'tiny percentage' with a life-threatening allergic reaction.

'Even if a spider had weak venom, follow it with the same precaution as a funnel-web spider bite. A spider bite reaction can differ from person to person, potentially leading to an anaphylactic reaction which can be life threatening. Refer to ‘What is Anaphylaxis?’ for more information about this condition. In all spider bite cases, please seek medical assistance as soon as you can'.  (Australian Wide First Aid, 2017).

How is recommending erring on the side of caution fear mongering or encouraging people to kill?

Considering the spider in the picture looks nothing like a Huntsman (I do not know if/different sub species) and no one has identified it, then erring on the side of caution with any spider is a smart thing to do. 

9 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

'Even if a spider had weak venom, follow it with the same precaution as a funnel-web spider bite. A spider bite reaction can differ from person to person, potentially leading to an anaphylactic reaction which can be life threatening. Refer to ‘What is Anaphylaxis?’ for more information about this condition. In all spider bite cases, please seek medical assistance as soon as you can'.  (Australian Wide First Aid, 2017).

How is recommending erring on the side of caution fear mongering or encouraging people to kill?

Considering the spider in the picture looks nothing like a Huntsman (I do not know if/different sub species) and no one has identified it, then erring on the side of caution with any spider is a smart thing to do. 

"How is recommending erring on the side of caution fear mongering or encouraging people to kill?"

How else it be likely to be read?

Very few people have no fear of spiders whatsoever, so will automatically keep their distance.

So posting "Err on the side of caution with any spider" is either irrelevant or encouraging people to kill all spiders IMO.

25 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"How is recommending erring on the side of caution fear mongering or encouraging people to kill?"

How else it be likely to be read?

Very few people have no fear of spiders whatsoever, so will automatically keep their distance.

So posting "Err on the side of caution with any spider" is either irrelevant or encouraging people to kill all spiders IMO.

I think if you have a complex with ways of doing things, then yeah, you may read it that way. 

However, it is literally what the authorities recommend. The first comment thought it was something it probably isn't and then went on to say something like, don't worry, if it bites you it will just irritate, which naturally has the potential to lead people to be quite relaxed around it. 

If you can 100% identify the spider and know the risks then some people will take the chance and not care how careful their actions are as they have performed a risk analysis. Coming from Australia, and being surrounded by spiders, I am probably one of those people.  

However, in this situation, where no one can identify it then you must err on the side of caution. That is assume the worst in terms of potential venom. Doesn't mean kill it, it means err on the side of caution/be careful. 

Edited by wildewillie89