Few NGOs compliant with law

geovalin

Thousands of organisations have failed to meet the deadline for filing their financial reports under the controversial Law on Associations and NGOs (Lango), according to a ministry official.

Chhim Kan, director of the Interior Ministry’s Department of Associations and Political Parties, said that of the total 5,199 associations and NGOs registered with the ministry, just 621 had submitted any documentation.

Lango came into force in 2015 and was met with criticism by international and local organisations, who feared it could curtail freedom of speech and the activities of legitimate NGOs. New filing requirements – which include annual and financial reports – were imposed this year, with a September 30 deadline.

read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/few-ngos-compliant-law

phnom_penh_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phenom Pen Post 02/11

3 hours ago, retarius said:

I haven't the faintest idea why any nation allows foreign funded NGOs to operate in its country. They meddle in local elections and stir up discontent among the citizens calling for different political systems and the like.

What a load of rubbish you are posting.....where are your facts?

Have you ever volunteered or worked for an NGO? I thought not.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 12:28 AM, retarius said:

I haven't the faintest idea why any nation allows foreign funded NGOs to operate in its country. They meddle in local elections and stir up discontent among the citizens calling for different political systems and the like.

Well, I DO have a faint idea why.  It's because NGOs can be a conduit for aid money and material from foreign governments, the UN, etc..  The host government holds its nose and tolerates whatever the NGO might be doing or preaching, within limits, because their politicians and bureaucrats reap all kinds of "stuff" from the presence.