Spray-on Bedliner

M1Tanker

I recently had Line-X Thailand (http://line-x-thailand.com and https://www.facebook.com/line.x.thai/) spray-on a bedliner into the bed of my 2016 Toyota Hilux Revo 4x4 Double Cab 2.8G A/T.  I was relatively pleased with the application.  The color I selected was black although Line-X states that they have other colors to include silver but at a higher cost.  The cost of the spray-on bedlinen was 13,000 baht (16,000 baht minus 3,000 baht for trade-in of the original plastic drop-in liner).  The onsite manager of Line-X Thailand is Apiwat Treejareonwiwat (Tel. 025401604-5) speaks English and was very responsive to my emails and questions.

Here are some images:

IMG_2275.jpg

IMG_2276.jpg

IMG_2278.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Whats the advantage over the plastic liner. ?

It is very hard to damage the plastic liner but think easy to damage anything sprayed on, plus the plastic liner absorbs impacts and not the sheet metal....

I'd have kept the plastic liner to prevent bumps and bruises and counted on the spray-on to prevent the rust that forms underneath in the tropical, salt atmosphere.  Though that makes a good 30 minute brushed on coat of damp-proof primer at 200-300 baht a liter look a lot more economical.

But I'm cheap and I have to admit the black spray-on looks real good.  And to each his own.

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Whats the advantage over the plastic liner. ?

It is very hard to damage the plastic liner but think easy to damage anything sprayed on, plus the plastic liner absorbs impacts and not the sheet metal....

Here are some links describing the advantages and disadvantages of both spray-on or drop-in headliners:

The spay-on coating according to Line-X Thailand is about 3 millimeters (mm) thick.  I think it will be very durable and if there is an issue I can take it back to Line-X Thailand for repair. The drop-in plastic bedliner that I had was also rubbing through the clear coat and paint, so long term rust was a concern. It is also not as slippery as my old drop-in plastic liner.  I liked that for this truck.  Next week I will have Sammitr Thailand install a custom built S-Plus V2 canopy/topper on this truck.  I wanted something durable and not slippery for this truck since the left side window of the new canopy will be a flip open (bird wing) window allowing good access into the left side of the bed.  The right side window will be a sliding window.

I also have a 2016 Toyota Hilux Revo Smart Cab 2.4J.  It has a Toyota plastic drop-in bedliner.  For the time being I think that liner is better suited for that truck.  I only have tonneau cover (not hard plastic but a rubber type of material that I can roll up) on it and I use it more for hauling things.  What I do like about the plastic liner is that I think it will prevent dents in the bed better than a spray-on liner.  However, it will eventually rub clear coat and paint of the bed to the point where rust may an issue.  Since this is a longer bed I actually like the more slippery surface for this truck because it makes sliding things out and in easier.  I do have to ensure that loads are secured when I'm under way because of that (NOTE: I will have to do that as well with the other truck, but the more non-skid surface of the Line-X coating will also help prevent objects from sliding around).

I think that it depends on what one's requirements are as to what liner will better meet those requirements.  I have two different trucks that I use differently and as such am using to different bedliners.

Good choice. Very popular in Northern Canada. Hardly ever see the plastic ones. Will dent without cracking. Easy to repair. Custom colors.

Nothing worse looking than those tacky plastic liners - all warped by the sun, turning grey, rubbing paint and the condensation between the liner and the truck box, cargo sliding around like a greased pig. They are popular because they are cheap.

20 hours ago, M1Tanker said:

Here are some links describing the advantages and disadvantages of both spray-on or drop-in headliners:

The spay-on coating according to Line-X Thailand is about 3 millimeters (mm) thick.  I think it will be very durable and if there is an issue I can take it back to Line-X Thailand for repair. The drop-in plastic bedliner that I had was also rubbing through the clear coat and paint, so long term rust was a concern. It is also not as slippery as my old drop-in plastic liner.  I liked that for this truck.  Next week I will have Sammitr Thailand install a custom built S-Plus V2 canopy/topper on this truck.  I wanted something durable and not slippery for this truck since the left side window of the new canopy will be a flip open (bird wing) window allowing good access into the left side of the bed.  The right side window will be a sliding window.

I also have a 2016 Toyota Hilux Revo Smart Cab 2.4J.  It has a Toyota plastic drop-in bedliner.  For the time being I think that liner is better suited for that truck.  I only have tonneau cover (not hard plastic but a rubber type of material that I can roll up) on it and I use it more for hauling things.  What I do like about the plastic liner is that I think it will prevent dents in the bed better than a spray-on liner.  However, it will eventually rub clear coat and paint of the bed to the point where rust may an issue.  Since this is a longer bed I actually like the more slippery surface for this truck because it makes sliding things out and in easier.  I do have to ensure that loads are secured when I'm under way because of that (NOTE: I will have to do that as well with the other truck, but the more non-skid surface of the Line-X coating will also help prevent objects from sliding around).

I think that it depends on what one's requirements are as to what liner will better meet those requirements.  I have two different trucks that I use differently and as such am using to different bedliners.

The first line that reads "Here are some links describing the advantages and disadvantages of both spray-on or drop-in headliners:" should read "Here are some links describing the advantages and disadvantages of both spray-on or drop-in bedliners":

I edited this a number of times while I still could but just missed the incorrect autocorrection.

One detail I left out that influenced my decision making was that the Sammitr  S-Plus V2 canopy/topper will be removable. I wanted that option therefore the canopy/topper will not be permanently sealed or glued to the bedliner (or bed rails as with a spray-on liner) or the pickup cab.

If I left the plastic drop-in liner in, holes would be cut into it allowing the attaching mechanisms to pass through.  If I pull the canopy off then these holes will allow for rain water to ingress under the liner.

Unfortunately I do not have pictures of my bed when the plastic drop-in liner was removed. The bed was marred as were the tops of the bed rails. Even the upper portions of the left and right quarter panels where the drop-in liner touched it were marred and not just the areas under the bedliner edges. 

I was hoping to just have the Line-X coating applied under the rails but because of the aforementioned marring of the top rails and the area over the rails I had the coating applied over the rails.

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

You have to inform the traffic department that you are fitting 

a canopy on the rear of your truck,and pay more road tax,

check it out ,or the police can fine you.

regards worgeordie

Thanks.

Prior to placing my order with Sammitr, I discussed this with them as well as with the staff at Toyota Buriram, where the installation will take place.  

Archived