non O conversion into non OA

I am of German nationality and at an age of 71 years. My Non immigrant -O- Múltiple entries visa will expire on January 29, 2018. I thought to apply for the retirement visa but I have heard about a Non immigrant -OA- Visa that will do equally, allowing for another year stay, without the deposit of the required 800.000 Baht in a local bank 

Has anyone personally been through this particular stage recently in and without an agent? I would be interested in hearing how it went - requirements, Procedure, documentación, etc. 

O-A visas are only available in your home country.

That's a definite. No agent can get you an O-A visa in Thailand. 

The term "conversions" are only used for people entering on 30 day stamps or tourist visas that "convert" to a 90 day O visa (not an O-A) as the first step before applying for their first annual extension based on retirement in Thailand.

As you have a currently valid O visa already, your logical next step assuming you don't want to go back to Germany to apply for an O-A visa is to apply for an annual extension based on retirement.

I can't speak to visa agents using corrupt methods.

But the legal method is to qualify financially.

You can do with income, Thai bank account, or a combination.

If you have an income of at least 65,000 baht per month you won't need to show any banked money in Thailand at all.

If it's under 800K annualized, for example 600K, you will need to show at least 200K in a Thai bank account, seasoned for two months (the official rules don't require seasoning for combination applications, but in practice it's enforced). 

Seasoning for an 800K all bank application is two months for the first annual extension, and three months for subsequent ones.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Hi jingthing,

Many Thanks for this prompt reply. In fact I am also thought in this option but since the USD is weak at this time and my Bangkok bank will convert inmediatly the USD in 800.000 Baht I was looking for an alternative...

5 minutes ago, GeKoSc said:

Hi jingthing,

Many Thanks for this prompt reply. In fact I am also thought in this option but since the USD is weak at this time and my Bangkok bank will convert inmediatly the USD in 800.000 Baht I was looking for an alternative...

I honestly don't understand how conversion of dollars to baht is relevant to your question.

Let's start at the beginning. 

You want to be on annual retirement status here, right?

I assume you have a pension. Is it at least 65,000 baht per month? 

If so, no worries about bank account funds in Thailand 

If not, I'm sure you know how much it is annualized in baht (approximately using current exchange rates), right?

Subtract the amount of your annual pension minus 800K baht.

Can you import that amount?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Yes you can do an application for a 1-year extension based on retirement before your current Non-Imm-O expires. You should preferably start do so some 10-14 days before January 29.

This will allow you some extra time, should they ask for a medical examination or this or that extra paperwork like proof of residence.  

In case you do not qualify for the income method, you must have a minimum of 800,000 THB on a Thai Bank account in your sole name.  The account must never have gone under the sum of 800,000 during two months before you application for an extension of stay.

You will need your bank to issue you their official "bank letter" or "guarantee letter" one day before or preferably the same day you are doing the application.

This means, you should have said money in Thai Baht in your thai bank account until  29 th of November minus 10-14 days in November, to allow the two months ripening period to set in from this date on.  This makes November 19 th the start for the countdown 

In case you do the income method, you must get an affidavit plus a translation in thai from the German Embassy in Bangkok, which certifies your monthly income as being 65,000 plus, until the application date.

In case you do the combination method of income and funds, the funds also must be in the account two months before the date of your application

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

Just to further clarify.... even if you go this O-A route, you must understand that also with that route, you have to show the very same amount of thaibath.. i.e. 800.000 baht or 65.000 baht/month.. so no difference there between O-A and an extension of stay based on retirement.

Glegolo

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Just to further clarify.... even if you go this O-A route, you must understand that also with that route, you have to show the very same amount of thaibath.. i.e. 800.000 baht or 65.000 baht/month.. so no difference there between O-A and an extension of stay based on retirement.

Glegolo

With the income method, as you say, there is basically zero difference. However, there is a key difference with the money in the bank. For a one-year extension of stay, the money must be in a Thai bank. With the Non-OA visa, the money can be in your home country. Some will find that far preferable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

With the income method, as you say, there is basically zero difference. However, there is a key difference with the money in the bank. For a one-year extension of stay, the money must be in a Thai bank. With the Non-OA visa, the money can be in your home country. Some will find that far preferable.

But the OP should equally be aware that there are procedures to be followed in applying for an OA visa back in Germany, which don't need to be followed in applying for a 1-year retirement extension of stay here (e.g. obtaining a medical certificate and police report). The detailed requirements of the Royal Thai Embassy in Berlin (where he would presumably need to submit an application) are set out in German in the following link (scroll down to the heading "LONGSTAY": NON-IMMIGRANT-O VISA A: (365-Tage-Aufenthalt) in the right-hand column):-

http://thaiembassy.de/site/index.php/de/konsularwesen/official-document/property/14-embassy/visa

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

the op mentioned that he was concerned about the usd $ low exchange rate towards the thai bath, well it is not necessary to change funds. one can present to thai immigration a foreign currency account in usd $ at a thai bank holding a usd $ deposit equal to thb 800k, that would be accepted by thai immigration for the extension of stay based on retirement.

wbr

roobaa01

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

Yes, and with the money in homecountry hurray, and a Non Imm O-A you have to go home every other year at least, at a cost of at least about 30-40.000 baht.... I guess you need a hell of a bank-interest in falangland, to cover that extra expense, in comparizon to an extension of stay in Thailand...

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

if he goes the route to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement in January,  Thai Immigration is known of having skipped the home country police report. However he will need a medical certificate which can be obtained from a thai doctor or hospital

I wasn't aware that an US Dollar account in a Thai bank can be used for the 800K method.  Thanks for clarifying

• Like 1

the information given in the link to an english text of the Thai Embassy in Germany in post number 8, is outdated regarding the financial requirements and some others 

here the up to date requirements:

http://thaiembassy.de/site/index.php/konsularwesen-visa-beglaubigungen/wie-man-ein-visum-beantragt

scrolling down, in german language it says:

NON-IMMIGRANT-O VISA A : (365-day stay) only available at the Thai Embassy in Berlin or at the Thai Consulate General in Frankfurt 

Please note that holders of this visa must report to the immigration office in Thailand every 90 days. The visa is valid for 1 year from the date of issue (date of submission of the documents). During this period, the visa holder must have arrived in Thailand. Upon entry, the visa holder receives a residence permit of 365 days. If a departure and re-entry is planned during the validity of the visa (date on the visa sticker on "enter before"), the visa holder receives a new right of residence of 365 days on re-entry.  

Pensioner:

• 1 fully completed visa application + 2 copies: the exact address of at least one accommodation (exact number of house number, street, postcode and city) and one or a contact person guarantor in Germany must be stated)   
  • Passport in original (must be valid for at least 18 months)
  • 3 copies of the first page of the passport
  • 3 biometric passport photos
  • Copy of the flight confirmation
  • 3 copies of the annuity notice with a monthly amount of at least 1.500, - Euro (65.000, - Baht) / original must be presented
  • if this amount is not met, additional assets of at least 20,000, - Euro (800,000, - Baht): 3 copies of the bank statements of the last 3 months)
  • Health certificate from the family doctor / may not be older than 3 months (original + 2 copies) Only this form will be accepted  
  • simple police certificate / may not be older than 3 months (original + 2 copies)
  • Curriculum Vitae (original + 2 copies)
  • The applicant must be at least 50 years old   
  • Visagebühr
  • in the case of foreign passports (non-German applicants) in addition: copy of the registration confirmation (registration office) / copy of the residence permit
Edited by ubonjoe
Changed German language to English using Google translate. English is the only language allowed on the forum.
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

if he goes the route to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement in January,  Thai Immigration is known of having skipped the home country police report. However he will need a medical certificate which can be obtained from a thai doctor or hospital

A medical certificate is not required to apply for the extension other than at 2 or 3 rogue offices. The police report is never required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

I wasn't aware that an US Dollar account in a Thai bank can be used for the 800K method.  Thanks for clarifying

you shall NOT talk about medical cert. so categoricly. I have had 9 extensions now in a row, and NEVER had to show any med.cert.... Never...

Glegolo

• Like 2

to the OP - i did the extension of say using a foreign currency account (USD) at bangkok bank (extension done at chaeng wattana in bkk).  of course, when i transferred the money, the rate was 36 to 1USD.  i was expecting 40 by now, not 33 !!!  so you never know, i'd be better off now if i'd converted to baht immediately.  i used bangkok bank main office on silom road.  not sure of your circumstances, i'm single and the bank does not have a beneficiary 'system'.  so if i die tomorrow, the bank keeps the money.  it doesn't go to my mom or dad.  i have to set up a thai will to make that happen.  i have no other thai assets (i rent, do not own a car, moto, etc...) so that is a bit of a hassle.  i'm planning to use the income method next time i do the extension so i can avoid doing the will and then take my money out of the bank.

and remember you can get a multiple re-entry permit in connection with the extension that will allow you to leave/return and your permission to stay until date will remain valid/unchanged.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, glegolo said:

you shall NOT talk about medical cert. so categoricly. I have had 9 extensions now in a row, and NEVER had to show any med.cert.... Never...

Glegolo

. in the first years after my first extension of stay, I wasn't asked for medical certificates.

It however started 4 years ago at the Sisaket Immigration that I was asked for one.  I went to a doctor who looked me up from shoe to head and asked how I feel?  I said I feel okay & fit.  He handed me the certificate and i paid 100 Baht.   

Maybe the lady at the Immigration desk didn't trust my sterility after seeing my tattoos ?