Rats.

nick

5 hours ago, r136dg said:

Glue traps are inhumane & rats have a whole lot of fight left in them trying to get free.

Poisons can be dangerous to domestic pets.

Yes, I did have a rat that came to my room and I left a glue trap .

Woke up the next morning and there was a baby rat stuck in the glue , still alive

I just couldnt kill it or just leave it there , so I had to unstick it , douse it in water to try to get the glue off him and feed it for a few days .

So sad to see the rat in distress , spend days gasping for air , struggling to move .

No more glue traps from me 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last two weeks I have caught 23 of them in the spring trap, with peanut butter, caught one in the truck which ate a hole through the firewall. I even have a python on the land, damn without him how many would i have, oh yeah I forgot he only likes my chickens. I am in Rayong, hopefully with the water receding the problem will end

22711365_141406036488235_1196391913_n.jpg

I found that using the big live catch traps has always worked for me.

You must clean after each use as somehow they can smell the previous recipients fear.

Soft fry a bit of bacon for your trap & rub the fat from the entrance to the bacon.

They can resist for about 5 minutes

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

Our local service station does the same.  I have seen 6 or so box traps with rats in them stacked together out in the hot sun and I am sure that is not where they were set.

What a horrible and disgustingly cruel way to kill an animal.

That's one place that won't have my business, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

This is a long thread already so not sure if this has been said-

My landlord has successfully used a sonic device in three different houses.

It emits a sound that humans cannot hear, but apparently the rats find the noise very disturbing and they quickly leave.

I have used these sonic devices. They work well almost too well. They also scare away any cats, dogs, birds etc. If you like to see birdlife in your garden then don't use them.

24 minutes ago, BazzaL said:

What a horrible and disgustingly cruel way to kill an animal.

That's one place that won't have my business, that's for sure.

They didn't kill them, the sun did.

No "merit" lost.

On the other hand, with rat meat at 250 baht a kilo according to this article, maybe they were just waiting for the rat lady:

The price of Rat meat goes up in Thailand | Living Thai

Edited by Enoon

13 minutes ago, Enoon said:

They didn't kill them, the sun did.

No "merit" lost.

What kind of nonsensical logic is this? It'd be like me pushing you off a cliff, and saying gravity killed you, not me.

Edited by BazzaL

I've LOTS of experience with rats in and around the house!

First time around I used the humane cages and filled in all the obvious house access points.  The latter was more effective, but still many 'parties' in the roof space and entertainment watching them run along their various patio routes.

And then they disappeared entirely.  Presumably the rat snakes had decimated the population.

The rats have recently re-appeared, but this time round I'm concentrating on ensuring that there is no food available to them in the house - and peppermint oil also works well as a deterrent.

I've no doubt the rat snakes will again be attracted and the 'balance' maintained.

When I lived down in the southern part of Thailand I managed to remove a family of rats(eventually) with the old wire cage spring trap by putting a fish head in as bait,sometimes I caught two at the same time, then the last one to go was 'Momma', I can only think it was the mother rat because all signs went after she was taken alive,different story much further 'up country', they appear to be 'vegetarians', and the one I did catch was  quite 'pretty' no way could I kill it.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Woke up the next morning and there was a baby rat stuck in the glue , still alive

I just couldnt kill it or just leave it there , so I had to unstick it , douse it in water to try to get the glue off him and feed it for a few days .

So sad to see the rat in distress , spend days gasping for air , struggling to move .

I did use the glue trap,horrible, apart from the really big rats most of the little critters are nothing more than 'field mice', problem is,if they start to eat electric cable and such something has to be done, the last one I caught on that horrible glue stuff I ended up cleaning it off with vegtable oil and letting it go, a long way from any properties.

15 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Change the bait – rats (and mice) love an irresistible menu of biscuits...:smile:

How about you change the trap, and stick those glue ones on your face, so we don't have tortured animals like the one above in the pic?

Seriously, some people are without a conscience.

1 minute ago, BazzaL said:

How about you change the trap, and stick those glue ones on your face, so we don't have tortured animals like the one above in the pic?

Seriously, some people are without a conscience.

Thanks for your reply – however, I was answering to the OP's quote, not taking about what I use, or recommending anything...:whistling: – by the way, I prefer polite language...:smile:

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

What did you think would happen, he would get stuck in the glue and take a cyanid pill he had secreted on himself for emergencies??

For those of you who value your time and possessions, the glue traps on hard plastic trays are sold tesco brand 2-pack for 32 baht. Add peanut butter or your favorite bait in the center of the tray and put it near their suspected travel path. If you have an infestation, you can catch 4-6 on one trap.

You can then drown them or dispose of them via other means.

The glue jar + adding it yourself is a lot of mess and time consuming.

The bucket method where they slip/fall and drown isnt so bad either, but never tried.

My friend had a lot of success with cheap cage traps; not so much for me....they always grabbed the bait and got out without setting off the spring/door.

Poison might result in the rat dying in an inconvenient place and the smell of the dead carcass for several days is unpleasant.

I'm not an animal hater, but you must consider the welfare of your family also. Rats can chew through just about anything and squeeze through crevices that are less than 1/2 their body diameter.  Not to mention they can crap all over the place and attract snakes or other undesirable animals.

One just destroyed the inside of a ฿5k printer a friend just bought not even a week or old.

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Tesco Glue Trap photo.jpg

Edited by 4evermaat
add photo

Just by chance/luck while dealing with ants I found that Chandrite 1 Crack and Crevice Spray works well at keeping rats away. No need to catch or kill them, just spray it in any area they are traveling or living and they want nothing to do with that space. They/he/them came back once; I re-sprayed and haven’t seen or heard them in months.

1 hour ago, 4evermaat said:

For those of you who value your time and possessions, the glue traps on hard plastic trays are sold tesco brand 2-pack for 32 baht. Add peanut butter or your favorite bait in the center of the tray and put it near their suspected travel path. If you have an infestation, you can catch 4-6 on one trap.

You can then drown them or dispose of them via other means.

Stop advertising torture devices please.

Edited by BazzaL