Avoid alcohol during cold weather, doctor warns

webfact

Avoid alcohol during cold weather, doctor warns

By The Nation

Doctors have warned against drinking alcohol during the cold weather that has already come to many parts of Thailand.

Monday weather reports said the northeastern province of Buriram has chilled, especially during the mornings and evenings, and there was light rain in some areas. People often gather around an outdoor bonfire to warm up in this season.

But the head of the Buriram Provincial Public Health Office, Dr Withit Sareaudechaikul, has warned people against the belief that drinking alcohol could warm them. That belief is incorrect and could be dangerous for their health.

Not only does alcohol not warm up the body, Withit said it instead damages the kidneys and harms the digestive system. Moreover, drinking alcohol in cold weather can prove lethal, as the body can go into shock.

People should instead keep warm by wearing warm clothes or a blanket, working out, or eating healthy food, Withit said.

He also cited statistics showing an annual winter surge in the number of deaths from diseases related to alcohol drinking.

Bangkok will experience cooling weather in the days ahead. The Meteorological Department has forecast wind for the capital, coupled with a small chance of light rain. The temperature could be as low as 22 degrees Celsius.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30330931

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-06

How they survive in Alaska with out a drink?

I worked in China and winter there was minus 30 they drank no problem, 

this quackery spiel from the good Dr , he really needs to travel and open his mind to the world.

6 hours ago, CGW said:

Best reason yet I have come across Not to trust Doctors! bet they weren't trained in Russia!

Russian doctors do not recommend drinking when it's cold.
Too many people are passing out, and subsequently freeze to death.

What is it with Thais and 'cold weather'?  There is a real fear of it;  that you will get sick [nonsense] ; that you can't take a shower [ ridiculous] ; that you have to wear a ski jacket when the temperature is at 20 celsius [absurd]. There is also a real misconception that when the humidity has gone out of the air [what a blessing] it is actually cooler or cold. Besides, a shot of whisky in hot or cold weather never hurt anyone. If it was minus 20, and you were using alcohol to warm you up, it would be dangerous, but that doesn't apply here. 

Oh for once these guys have sensible information, too bad the reason isnt specified and then immediately deflected on to the kidneys, not to mention that this isnt so much a problem for people having a roof over their heads...also not to mention the 22 "freezing" temperatur which other countries can barely reach in summer lol

9 hours ago, Ralf61 said:

Blessedly there is no cold weather in Thailand, there is no such thing here...

Cold weather for Thai people is anything below 25C. My room in Pattaya briefly hit 24.5C yesterday... and then climbed back up to just over 25C. Wow! So cold! It was absolutely fantastic!

Yes in the hills where it can get cold, this is good advice. For you commenters, take a trip and

see the villages, and you will see that they have no insulation, no furnaces, or stoves to heat the

shacks when the weather plummets to zero or even a few degrees below.  Good advice Is to drink

no alcohol, and eat spicy food.  If you are just a dumb farang visiting the hill tribes and want

to drink and stagger out into the freezing dawn, be my guest. and Good Luck, with keeping yourself

warm. Happy holidays and all that rot.

Geezer

As a reformed alcoholic that worked outside all his life, up to 20 °C below, I feel qualified to say something. Most doctors have never experienced the excruciating pain that you sometimes get when getting out of a truck when it is COLD. One tot of whisky helps a lot. You also FEEL warmer and I don't care what scientists say about my not actually being warmer. Enables you to get going and sweat that alcohol out. 

Unfortunately, as one tot was apparently a good idea, you tend to go on to a second and a third and the law of diminishing returns comes into play. By then, you do feel the cold again but you don't care.