New MG ZS

canopus1969

14 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I would be very surprised if the 999cc engine comes here ... Thais don't like small engines.

eg ...Ford now don't offer the 3-cyl ecoboost ..it's a great engine but didn't sell well here ...

Strange. How come there are so many Mitsu Mirage and the like on the roads then?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anon999 said:

Strange. How come there are so many Mitsu Mirage and the like on the roads then?

Eco cars are usually the second car of the household for the wife or their kids. In my experience (which I know doesn't make it a fact) families always have a bigger car/pick up. Eco cars are great, but with the family packed inside, acceleration, deceleration, going up hills, and fuel economy are seriously affected. 

I like the look of this new MG-zs but I can't help feeling it sounds a bit sluggish.

5 hours ago, Anon999 said:

The Fiesta 3-cyl EcoBoost did not sell well ... there were alternative larger engines available for that model. Ford stopped building the Fiesta here with that engine late 2013 ... of course they continued to sell their stock for some while ....

We have one ... bought in 2015 when they were discounting it by 100K  VIN shows that it was built late 2013!! 

47 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

The Fiesta 3-cyl EcoBoost did not sell well ... there were alternative larger engines available for that model. Ford stopped building the Fiesta here with that engine late 2013 ... of course they continued to sell their stock for some while ....

We have one ... bought in 2015 when they were discounting it by 100K  VIN shows that it was built late 2013!! 

Same time as we were looking for a new ride for Mrs NL and saw one similarly discounted and relatively loaded at the dealership.

FWIW, considering that engine is their flagship, global award-winner, how good (or bad) is it?

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Same time as we were looking for a new ride for Mrs NL and saw one similarly discounted and relatively loaded at the dealership.

FWIW, considering that engine is their flagship, global award-winner, how good (or bad) is it?

I very rarely get to drive it ... seems to appear when the service is due ... has a lot of torque even from low down...

Only problem has been water pump leaking ...fairly common I understand.

Our 'gearbox' has been, so far, trouble free   .it has the latest TCM software installed ...

17 hours ago, alien365 said:

Eco cars are usually the second car of the household for the wife or their kids. In my experience (which I know doesn't make it a fact) families always have a bigger car/pick up. Eco cars are great, but with the family packed inside, acceleration, deceleration, going up hills, and fuel economy are seriously affected. 

I like the look of this new MG-zs but I can't help feeling it sounds a bit sluggish.

"Eco cars are usually the second car of the household for the wife or their kids. "

Maybe for some, but from what I say, many use them as their first car, westerners included.

• 8 months later...

Purchased MG ZS (middle model of the the range) end of March 2018

I very much like the car

Both the gearbox and the reversing camera I particularly like.

The gearbox is an automated manual transmission. Either Auto or Manual can be selected. There is no clutch pedal.

This gearbox is essential to compensate for the limitations of the engine -Peak torque at 4500 revs. 4500 revs for peak torque is always going to be the wrong place.

Good build quality and attractive price.

So far I am highly suited

Edited by Delight

Nice to hear....:thumbsup:

As for misplaced grunt, you probably know that MG (Morris Garages) was always a performance ride, when BMC (BL) took them over the MG badge was put on their basic rides that had a souped up option, usually twin carbs etc..So perhaps your ride is designed to rev the nuts out of it...:stoner:

Edited by transam

4 hours ago, transam said:

Nice to hear....:thumbsup:

As for misplaced grunt, you probably know that MG (Morris Garages) was always a performance ride, when BMC (BL) took them over the MG badge was put on their basic rides that had a souped up option, usually twin carbs etc..So perhaps your ride is designed to rev the nuts out of it...:stoner:

As you maybe know –power is the product of Torque and Revs

High Torque at High revs will produce a high power value. So it sounds good in the brochure

Trying to explain High torque at low revs to produce good acceleration is too difficult for most buyers to comprehend. They just look at the stated power value

This sounds like Chinese B.S to me

Mostly the car operates at low revs. And seems quite fuel efficient.

If a higher level of acceleration is required (and mostly it is not required ) then the Manual mode of the gearbox provides

• Like 1

Makes me mad when I see their advertising hoardings saying "MG Established 1926"

I lived in the town that produced every MG and it certainly was not a Chinese town.

They just brought the name for a few million quid.  The only "British" thing about an MG is the badge.

Also I think they are very ordinary looking, especially when they put the twin exhausts on...really laughable, they are so small no thicker than a broom handle

• Like 1

Ah so you lived in Abingdon - was once  nice little town

However you are wrong about " The only "British" thing about an MG is the badge" in fact quite a lot still goes on in the UK - example :

The new range of MG models, that have been designed and engineered at our site in Longbridge, Birmingham, include the MG3, MG GS and MG ZS.

https://mg.co.uk/about-mg/

18 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Ah so you lived in Abingdon - was once  nice little town

However you are wrong about " The only "British" thing about an MG is the badge" in fact quite a lot still goes on in the UK - example :

The new range of MG models, that have been designed and engineered at our site in Longbridge, Birmingham, include the MG3, MG GS and MG ZS.

https://mg.co.uk/about-mg/

Must admit...I never knew that  thank you for putting me right and please accept my apologies......still don't like them though, had an MGB Roadster once...what a car!!!