Ashes 2017/2018

7by7

58 minutes ago, kickstart said:

End of day one ,I would just give it to Australia ,Lyon man of the day  ,brilliant run  out ,and he tied England in knots with his bowling ,but never got a wicket . 

Until Moeen arivied  I would say an England score of 300 ,if he can stay a while ..........max  340 .

As some one on TMS said none of the England players have lost they jobs after today ,but Cook is looking like a weak link .

Now let me guess, your an aussie ?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 4/196, I'd put the Poms slightly ahead.

A slow old day and the pitch didn't help good batting or bowling.

The new ball tomorrow morning will be the key.

If the Aussies can get 2 or 3 quick ones, we might bowl England out around the 

300 mark.

If we don't get a few quick ones, England could get 400 plus with Bairstow, Woakes

etc to come.

Pretty even but I reckon England have their nose in front.

First day marginally to England. Despite all the Pre match gobbling off the pace attack looked nothing special albeit on a slowish track.
England are still capable of being skittled out for 300 but these two and Bairstow need to hang around. Cook looks out of touch and vulnerable so see how it goes. England will need his experience to come. Looks like a good series with two reasonably matched teams to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

... I am watching the game on  crictime .com .so far no problems...

How do you stop all the annoying the ads on crictime.com??

They’re non-stop and block out nearly half of the screen. Couldn’t see Marsh’s catch as a 30 second ad was all that was visible :(

A good days cricket ,I think Root was getting a bit flustered bringing himself on to bowl,trying to brake this partnership ,I would put the odds on for Smith to get a big score  ,as  long as he dose not run out of partners, as Will27 said , Australia have got to bat last, but if England collapse again, ....... interesting last day ,match well poised. 

England collapse; again!

Ponting reckons that England's 302 is worth around 350 on this pitch; but, as Boycott is so fond of saying, you can't judge a pitch until both sides have batted on it.

Captain's innings from Smith, helped by comeback kid Marsh, saved Australia from embarrassment and put them marginally ahead at the end of day 2. England need to get one, preferably both, of them out early tomorrow or they could take the game out of England's reach. 

If England can get a first innings lead, even a small one, history is on their side for at least a draw:

• This is the third time England have reached 300 batting first at the Gabba; they won on both previous occasions, in 1936-37 and 1986-87
  • England have only lost once at the Gabba when scoring at least 300 in their first innings, when they made 325 in 2002-03
  • Australia have only won one Ashes Test at the Gabba when conceding a first-innings lead batting second (1990-91)

Still too close to call.

But without Smith's superb 141 n.o. England would very much be in the driving seat.

England were very much in control in the morning having reduced Australia from 165 for 4 at the start of the day to 209 for 7, but Smith's effort, aided by 42 from Cummins, gave Australia a slender 26 run first innings lead.

Worrying for England that Cook, 7,  failed again; but his class will hopefully still enable him to play a major role in this series.

Looks like another batting collapse.

Cook might be getting on a bit.

Vince just does not impress.

Time for Root to make a big ton or we are toast.

Why do the Aussies always seam to find one bugger who is able to stick around for ages?

4 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Still too close to call.

But without Smith's superb 141 n.o. England would very much be in the driving seat.

England were very much in control in the morning having reduced Australia from 165 for 4 at the start of the day to 209 for 7, but Smith's effort, aided by 42 from Cummins, gave Australia a slender 26 run first innings lead.

Worrying for England that Cook, 7,  failed again; but his class will hopefully still enable him to play a major role in this series.

Got to agree good innings by Smith ,the England bowlers never really  bothered him .

England has a lead of  26 ,but are down 2 wickets , Stoneman  seems ok ,And Root got  over a knock on the head if these two can keep the scoreboard ticking over  tomorrow morning  ,England  should be ok .  

But the way  Stark and  Hazlewood  bowled this evening, England could well  struggle in the morning .

Cook's batting, not done a  lot for the past  4-5 matches , Anderson  seems to have an injury.

Australia just in frount , but ask me agine  at luntch  tomorrow .

Can't see anything else but an Aussie win. 

Someone, maybe two need big hundreds and hang around. Root needs to emulate Smith. He goes early and it's game over. 

Cook was the subject when they spoke about ending careers. He wasn't in good nick before and looks even worse now. 

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

Got to agree good innings by Smith ,the England bowlers never really  bothered him .

England has a lead of  26 ,but are down 2 wickets , Stoneman  seems ok ,And Root got  over a knock on the head if these two can keep the scoreboard ticking over  tomorrow morning  ,England  should be ok .  

But the way  Stark and  Hazlewood  bowled this evening, England could well  struggle in the morning .

Cook's batting, not done a  lot for the past  4-5 matches , Anderson  seems to have an injury.

Australia just in frount , but ask me agine  at luntch  tomorrow .

England have a lead of 7 runs with 2 wickets down.  Australia led by 26 runs on the first innings.

Great innings by Smith. 

Lunch,  Root has gone, that is it , Moeen played some nice shots , will not be enough.

Boycott , just said ,thay will be lucky to still be batting at tea , glad I never brought a last day ticket to watch the game lol, do not think they will be a lot of cricket.

3 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Australia need 170 

Should get the chocolates but I wouldn't be putting the house on them.

3 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Australia need 170 to win.

Should get the chocolates but I wouldn't be putting the house on them.

I would say Englanld will  get 4-5 wickets ..........as a consolation. 

4 hours ago, kickstart said:

I would say Englanld will  get 4-5 wickets ..........as a consolation. 

Doesn't look like it!

Australia 114/0 at stumps, with both Bancroft (51) and Warner (60) looking immoveable.

55 more needed tomorrow; all over by lunch I reckon, England may get one of these two out; but both?Probably a 10 wicket victory for Australia. 

Root (51), Bairstow (42) and Moeen (40) all made starts, but it needed one of them to go big to set Australia a challenging target.

Didn't see it live, but from watching the replays this morning Moen's foot was, imho, definitely down behind the crease when the bails came off, but the third umpire thought otherwise. 

Moeen Ali is stumped by Tim Paine

From the BBC Ashes: England on verge of crushing first Test defeat by Australia

When Lyon turned an off-break past Moeen's forward defence, Tim Paine's lone appeal for a stumping looked innocuous but was still referred to the third umpire.

After numerous close-up replays from different angles, Chris Gaffaney decided there was enough evidence to suggest Moeen had no part of his foot behind the crease line.

If that was debatable, what seemed more controversial was the line itself.

Repainted numerous times throughout the match, the part of the crease where Moeen was batting had become thicker, meaning he had to be further back to be in his ground and giving more leeway to the wicketkeeper.

Speaking to BT Sport, Moeen said "Once you're given out, you have to respect that and move on. I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't push my foot back."

Good on him; you have to accept the controversial decisions that go against you in the same spirit that you accept those that go in your favour.

OK, thay might get 1 wicket, and it will not be Warner's.

The way England played after tea, you would have thought it was the last day of the last test , just  nothing in it ,I think they  thought after 2 good session's they could win the game .and it all went pear-shaped.

As for Moeen's stumping, the close-up photo on the BBC, well looked in  to me , as 7 by 7 said , some you gain some you lose  , must agree he took it well. 

I think overall a poor showing from England. They had good opportunities during this test to really put pressure on the Aussies, but bottled it.

Some of the shots they played in getting out were shocking. Our leading run scorer ever, getting out hooking, what was he thinking.

I feel the inevitable Aussie win will give them the confidence they have lacked and it's going to be a long series for us English supporters.

I hope i am totally wrong.

As the BBC correspondent said, the line has been repainted and this has made it wider than it should be.

The red line in the above picture is where the actual crease should be, and if you follow that then Moeen is clearly in.

In the picture I posted from the other side he looks in as well; but that is taken after the stumps were well broken, whereas the above is as they were broken.

But the umpire said he was out, so out he was.

8 hours ago, 7by7 said:

As the BBC correspondent said, the line has been repainted and this has made it wider than it should be.

The red line in the above picture is where the actual crease should be, and if you follow that then Moeen is clearly in.

In the picture I posted from the other side he looks in as well; but that is taken after the stumps were well broken, whereas the above is as they were broken.

But the umpire said he was out, so out he was.

Yep, I agree the line is a bit wobbly and thicker than it should be.

Having said that, it doesn't really matter. You've got to have something behind it

no matter how wide or crooked it is.

Just a lapse in concentration by Ali really.

The Aussies home by 10 wickets.

The day/nighter starting next week will be a big chance for England I think.

Broad and Anderson swinging the pink ball around will be a handful.

They need the 2nd tier bowlers to step up and the batsmen to go on with it after

getting a start.

Can't see any changes to the Aussie side.

Enjoying the BT Sport coverage.

I took the liberty of updating the ICC's batting records.    hehe  

Can you pick the odd man out?   That's correct Will.  Just one Suid Afrikana  made the list.

Highest averages

Player                           Span                Mat       Inns       NO       Runs      HS       Ave     100      50     0

DG Bradman (AUS)    1928-1948          52         80         10        6996      334      99.94   29      13      7

CT Bancroft (AUS)    2017-2017           1           2           1             87        82*     87.00     0         1      0

AC Voges (AUS)         2015-2016         20         31           7         1485     269*     61.87     5        4       2

SPD Smith (AUS)        2010-2017         57       105        15         5511     215       61.23   21      21      4

RG Pollock (SA)          1963-1970         23         41           4         2256     274       60.97     7       11     1

Archived