Ashes 2017/2018

7by7

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England's behavior and discipline is poor.  Getting pissed up when they are 2-0 down and should be focusing on how to beat a very average Australian side.

The"sledging" which always has been a pathetic example of anything sporting has been particularly poor and i hope that a batsman, from either side takes his gloves off and punches someone in the face and put an end to the childish bullshit once and for all.

All I can say is well done England, especially to Malan , on his maiden century, with good batting from Bairstow, looking a bit bleak this morning, but these two have done England well ,and a record 5th wicket partnership at the WACA as well. 

The bowling was good, as you expected a lot of short stuff.

England closed on 305-4 , should get 420, if these two can survive the first hour, just hope that it will not be 350-9 at lunch tomorrow.

After all the controversy over the past few weeks , nice to see some good cricket .  

How the day changed,i was thinking all out for 250 at one stage then it was like we don't have anything left to throw at England for the rest of the day.

Starc was unlucky at the end of the day.

I'm a proud West Aussie but our boys dropped to many catches on there home wicket.

Tomorrows another day.:smile:

18 hours ago, kickstart said:

All I can say is well done England, especially to Malan , on his maiden century, with good batting from Bairstow, looking a bit bleak this morning, but these two have done England well ,and a record 5th wicket partnership at the WACA as well. 

The bowling was good, as you expected a lot of short stuff.

England closed on 305-4 , should get 420, if these two can survive the first hour, just hope that it will not be 350-9 at lunch tomorrow.

After all the controversy over the past few weeks , nice to see some good cricket .  

No it was 403 all out at lunch, Bairstow getting a hundred, the highlight of the morning, and then the usual collapse.

Australia 40-0 , England bowlers not so hot, hope when Moeen bowls, he can do something, can not be any worse than his batting, can see Root putting in a few overs .

Lyon is a far better spin bowler. 

Australia close on 203-3  with his nibs on 92 , somehow Englands 403 does not seem a lot now, how this match has changed, yet again in just a few hours.

From the BBC "From losing they 5th wicket, to all out, England have averaged 71.80 runs in 5 innings ".

Can England get a draw from this game ?.

6 minutes ago, kickstart said:

The pitch this morning,more cracks in it  than in my mums fruit cake .

See who it is going to suite best .

A feeling it will not be England .

Capture.PNG

why on earth not England?!!  They are bowling now and almost certainly on the last day.  It totally favors them i'd have thought as the aussies will have to put up with it in its worst condition.

7 hours ago, carmine said:

why on earth not England?!!  They are bowling now and almost certainly on the last day.  It totally favors them i'd have thought as the aussies will have to put up with it in its worst condition.

Austalia close on 549-4,I think they will bat on for an hour, maybe two, tomorrow morning, then put England back in to bat , with a lead of 250?....Will Australia even bat on the last day .

Smith and Marsh,with no time limit, could well be still batting at Christmas,did not give any chances, played very well.

England bowlers, had a long day for only one wicket, thay just looked ,if they had given up , even Malan had a go.

I like cricket stats, I think to-days stats, if your English will make bleak reading.

Talk of rain , Englands only savior, or maybe the third new ball.

Nice to see the the two captains shake hands ,at the close of play.

Marsh's display today showed why the selectors had patience with him in the early days.

An Ashes series winning knock?

The suprise packet for England is listening to a positive minded Geoffery Boycott on BT sports.

I don't ever remember him being that way on radio.

1 minute ago, farmerjo said:

Marsh's display today showed why the selectors had patience with him in the early days.

The suprise packet for England is listening to a positive minded Geoffery Boycott on BT sports.

He is now 77 he may have changed his ways

9 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Have a look at the BBC texed commentary from TMS ,BBC/cricket , some of his comments are still like the old days,don't think he knows how to mellow.   

3 hours ago, kickstart said:

Have a look at the BBC texed commentary from TMS ,BBC/cricket , some of his comments are still like the old days,don't think he knows how to mellow.   

Boycs is an acquired taste but it's refreshing to listen to someone who calls it as he see's it.

Even if you don't always agree with him.

We have so many dull and vanilla commentators these days.

Having said that, I reckon he'd be hard to take if your side was getting beaten.

I also thought I'd never say this about a woman commentator in cricket, but

I think Ali Mitchell is excellent as well.

10 hours ago, ripstanley said:

He is now 77 he may have changed his ways

Boycott's memoirs should have been titled, 'My Wicket Wicket Ways'.

On the subject of ex-pommy openers,  check out this video.   Bumbles re-lives the horror of being trapped in front by a grenade hurled at him by Thommo back in the Ashes 74/75.   He can laugh now.

The English team is an embarrassment.  No balls on the field, ill disciplined idiots behaving like students off it.  Total waste of space.  They will be all out today, the usual collapse.  

Just pack up and fly home to save us and yourselves further embarrassment.  Aside of Smith its not even like the aussies are up to much which hurts even more.  

10 hours ago, Gregster said:

Melbourne & Sydney Tests to be dead rubbers. This is not good...

Thank goodness we have the Big Bash to watch instead.

Rain might save the English today.

The BB over an Ashes test.......sacrilege.

I do not think rain will  stop play it is the damp patch trying  to dry the pitch out  using  leaf blowers!  to do the job, covers  leaked  last night ,talk of play after lunch , this  would not have happened at Lords.

England might yet get a draw.

"That ball",the one that got Vince ,if it had not hit a crack in the pitch, where would it have gone, 

Capture.PNG

Oh well the ashes go down under again,and the inquest has started ,some are saying the ashes where lost back in September when Stokes got arrested ,him playing would have made the diffrence ,can not see it,he would have

sarcomed  to the Austrllain bowling  like the rest

Cook, Andeson,Broad  past they best ,could be , but Overton bowled well.

.I think playing away from home not the same a your home country is the problem ,conitions ,pitches ,like when Australial lat played in England .

As Graeme Swann said cracks in the pappered over when in the UK 

1 minute ago, kickstart said:

Oh well the ashes go down under again,and the inquest has started ,some are saying the ashes where lost back in September when Stokes got arrested ,him playing would have made the difference ,can not see it,he would have

succumbed  to the Australian bowling  like the rest

Cook, Andeson,Broad  past they best ,could be , but Overton bowled well.

.I think playing away from home not the same a your home country is the problem ,conitions ,pitches ,like when Australial lat played in England .

As Graeme Swann said cracks in the pappered over when in the UK 

computer playing up ,

As Graeme Swann said cracks get papered over when in England , would have made a difference today .

Aussie,Aussie,Aussie:smile:

Went off to play golf yesterday thinking there would be no play and a draw.

Well  i came home to find England all bowled out and the series over.:partytime2:

Time for you to go back to drawing board and get some more South Africans in your team,it used to work for you in the past and Malan looks alright.

BBC did a good analysis. Main reason England lost was due to the experienced players not performing. Root, Cook, Ali, Broad ....dismal. Despite that without Smith the Aussies ain't a lot better. That said they play the build up, the sledging and the mind games far better than England.
We are one dimensional, if it don't swing we don't stand a chance. We can't play pace, we can't play spin, and we don't seem to be able to build an innings. Too much one day focus?. Not sure but at the end of the day we far inferior all round to an average Aussie side.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Aussie,Aussie,Aussie:smile:

Went off to play golf yesterday thinking there would be no play and a draw.

Well  i came home to find England all bowled out and the series over.:partytime2:

Time for you to go back to drawing board and get some more South Africans in your team,it used to work for you in the past and Malan looks alright.

More  South Africans in the team another KP I hope not,he may have been a good cricketer , but went down like a lead balloon in the changing rooms, another Tony Greig, ok he was good .

But as has been said, condition prevail ,Australia win in Australia, England win in England ,if Smith had not got those runs ,the scoreboard would look very different.

Two more tests dead rubbers ,maybe both teams could give some new players a go ,for England it would not do them any harm. 

13 hours ago, kickstart said:

More  South Africans in the team another KP I hope not,he may have been a good cricketer , but went down like a lead balloon in the changing rooms, another Tony Greig, ok he was good .

But as has been said, condition prevail ,Australia win in Australia, England win in England ,if Smith had not got those runs ,the scoreboard would look very different.

Two more tests dead rubbers ,maybe both teams could give some new players a go ,for England it would not do them any harm. 

Looking at the ICC rankings, England are 3rd and the Aussies 5th although England have played 9 more tests.

That's about where both teams deserve to be I reckon.

Stoke's  omission was a huge blow. To add to that, Cook hasn't fired a shot and Root, Ali

and Broad have all been bad.

The Aussie batting has been held together by Smith with cameo's from the rest chipping in.

For me, there are still question marks over Bancroft, Khawaja, and both of the Marsh boys.

Our attack has been relentless.

If Starc isn't available, I wouldn't be playing Jackson Bird.

I would give young speedster Tye Richardson a go.

It hasn't helped that Cook, Root and Ali haven't performed with the bat and Broad and Anderson have struggled with the ball; but Smith is definitely the difference between the sides. Comparisons are already being made: Ashes: Is Steve Smith the best since Donald Bradman?

At home with the Dukes ball England are a force to be reckoned with, and all this will be forgotten by the powers that be if we perform well against Pakistan and India at home in the summer. Then we tour Sri Lanka followed by the West Indies. Probably struggle against Sri Lanka, but should do ok, and unfortunately the Windies have not been much of a force for some time.

All of which means despite all the post mortems in the next couple of months, the complacency will have set in again by the time we play for the Ashes again at home in 2019. In English conditions with the Dukes ball we may even have a chance!

On 22/12/2017 at 12:49 AM, 7by7 said:

It hasn't helped that Cook, Root and Ali haven't performed with the bat and Broad and Anderson have struggled with the ball; but Smith is definitely the difference between the sides. Comparisons are already being made: Ashes: Is Steve Smith the best since Donald Bradman?

At home with the Dukes ball England are a force to be reckoned with, and all this will be forgotten by the powers that be if we perform well against Pakistan and India at home in the summer. Then we tour Sri Lanka followed by the West Indies. Probably struggle against Sri Lanka, but should do ok, and unfortunately the Windies have not been much of a force for some time.

All of which means despite all the post mortems in the next couple of months, the complacency will have set in again by the time we play for the Ashes again at home in 2019. In English conditions with the Dukes ball we may even have a chance!

India tour in England next summer ,5 tests ,plus limited over games, job to predict the  outcome , being in England  could be  an England win ,if not heads will roll .

Must agree on the state of West Indies, cricket ,when I think back  to the teams of the 1970's and 80's,something has gone well wrong .

There's something about Bairstow that evokes David Brent from The Office. Might be the complete lack of insight into self. Might be the moronic 'just a laugh' comments. Another sporting team dealt successfully with off field idiocy and worse through using the player-inspired motto: "No dickheads!" They transformed into a professional outfit and won their national competition.

Take note ...  drinking team with a cricket problem

Archived