Ashes 2017/2018

7by7

Will England miss Stokes? Strauss seems to think so: Ben Stokes absence is a blow - Andrew Strauss

England's first tour match against a Western Australia XI ended in a draw; unsurprising as it was only a two day game.

England 349-6 dec: Stoneman 85, Vince 82, Hardie 2-46

Western Australia XI 342: Philippe 88, Anderson 4-27

Match report.

Most UK bookies have Australia odds on favourites to win the series and regain the Ashes; are they right?

The first test starts in Brisbane on 23 November.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Will27 said:

They're waiting for the outcome of the police investigation.

Indeed, but that is dragging it's feet as witnesses seem hard to come by. I hope he can play as it will be a big loss to the side without him. Silly boy.

2 minutes ago, ronrat said:

I think you will find the horse is trained by an Irishman , owned by Australain and ridden by an Australian.

I bow to your superior knowledge on this. I was mislead by this description of the horse:

"Rekindling is the youngest horse to contest this year’s Cup; while he’s listed as a four-year-old in Australia, he’s actually only three in his native Northern Hemisphere.

He comes to Australia with promising staying form. A month after failing in the Epsom Derby (2,400m) in June, he returned to the winner’s circle in the Curragh Cup (2,800m) and defeated Cup rival Wicklow Brave in the process.

He was then far from disgraced when runner-up to top European stayer Order Of St George in the Irish St Leger Trial (2,800m), and had excuses when fourth in the English St Leger (2,900m)."

10 hours ago, Wiggy said:

He wasn't even selected, so I think it's very unlikely.

10 hours ago, Will27 said:

They're waiting for the outcome of the police investigation.

Indeed.

He was selected, but then dropped pending the result of police investigations into the incident. Both he and Alex Hales have been indefinitely suspended from playing for England in any form of the game until the case is either heard by a court or dropped by the police.

33 minutes ago, Gregster said:

A recall WHEN? Ie before or after series starts?

There's 3 weeks to go before the first test and you can be sure Stokes will still be training.

And even if he's not available for the first test, he could always fly out for the remainder of the tour.

I still think he'll make the trip.

There's 3 weeks to go before the first test and you can be sure Stokes will still be training.
And even if he's not available for the first test, he could always fly out for the remainder of the tour.

I still think he'll make the trip.

I also think he’ll make the trip...but only after he serves out suspension time for a few of the test matches.

A portend?
 A pommy horse just won the Melbourne Cup.

Close! But it was an IRISH horse (Irish sire, English dam) who won yesterday’s Melbourne Cup.

International horses not only came 1st, 2nd & 3rd, they also filled eight of the top 10 places.

If only world champion AU horse Winx could run 2 miles.

Maybe she could...

Sorry but I believe in the old saying No Smoke without fire...

I am sure there are players out there that would be just as good as Stokes given the chance.

Just wonder how many of those who think Stokes should be recalled also wanted David Warner banned from international cricket after punching Joe Root in a Birmingham night club a few years back?

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

I am sure there are players out there that would be just as good as Stokes given the chance.

Just wonder how many of those who think Stokes should be recalled also wanted David Warner banned from international cricket after punching Joe Root in a Birmingham night club a few years back?

I don't think he should be recalled even though I'd like him to play.

Even if he's found he doesn't have a charge to answer to criminally, he still brought the game into disrepute

by beating the living daylights out of someone.

Don't agree with you about there being players out there as good as Stokes.

It's had to replace jet players in any sport.

7 hours ago, Will27 said:

Don't agree with you about there being players out there as good as Stokes.

It's had to replace jet players in any sport.

I am sure there are...

The selectors need to work harder, giving new blood a opportunity when ever possible. 

17 hours ago, Basil B said:

Bit of a difference between the two incidents.

David Warner punched Root because when Warner entered the bar he saw that Root was pretending a wig was a beard. Warner, for reasons he has never explained, says he thought Root was poking fun at Hashim Amla's beard and so punched him. David Warner: how a weird Walkabout bar spat stumped Australia.

Stokes hasn't spoken about his incident yet, and says, rightly imho, that he wont until what he calls the right time; which, as he has said he doesn't want to prejudice any possible court case,  is presumably after he appears in court or the police close the case without charge. But others have spoken: Ben Stokes praised by two gay men ‘after he saved them from homophobic yobs’

The video doesn't show the start of the incident; but what it does show is the man Stokes allegedly assaulted was throwing punches before Stokes waded in.

Not that I am defending Stokes' actions; he could have handled the situation better.

I think Stokes will miss the whole series. They will want to make an example of him and will not want to be seen to condone his behaviour in any way. If you believe the two guys he was helping them out but you can't argue he went completely OTT even when Hales was trying to get him to stop. Noble act maybe but comes with a price.
As for the series I think we look weak all round and will struggle.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

An interesting artical on the bbc/cricket, website about the selection of the Australian test side ,maybe England are not the no-hopers we first thought.

This latest warm-up match England should win , good batting practice, but the competition and wickets could have been better,giveing England better preparation for the test series. 

When Australia  tour England,thay play 1st class English county sides , giving them  a good warm-up  for the test series. 

First session to England after winning the toss and being 1/59 at lunch.

The pitch is an absolute pudding. No pace in it at all, really disappointing.

Watching the feed on HDPrime via BT Sport.

Impressed with the coverage and commentary, although Boycott can be a bit

hard to stomach at times. I don't know the female commentator from a bar of soap.

Better than listening to the muppets on Channel Nine.

Rain stopped play,could be bad news for England ,the  oddball could move about a bit ,as for the pitch ,modern day pitches,never know what you are going to get , when I first  watch cricket (Boycott was playing, still not my flavor  of the month), a spin bowler  never come on until about mid-afternoon of the first day, not untill the "shine" had gone from the ball .as I said  modern day pitches for you.

I am watching the game on  crictime .com .so far no problems ,I think it is  Will27's muppets ,but adverts  are from Oz ,and  India . 

Another good session by the Poms and they're 2/128 at the tea break.

A vital wicket for Cummins just before the break.

Paine dropped a soda off Lyon when Vince was on 68.

That could be crucial.

If The Aussies can remove Root earlier, they can get back in it.

Should be an enthralling last session coming up.

End of day one ,I would just give it to Australia ,Lyon man of the day  ,brilliant run  out ,and he tied England in knots with his bowling ,but never got a wicket . 

Until Moeen arivied  I would say an England score of 300 ,if he can stay a while ..........max  340 .

As some one on TMS said none of the England players have lost they jobs after today ,but Cook is looking like a weak link .

Archived