Ashes 2017/2018

7by7

16 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Seems to be a little bit of recent history between Bairstow and Bancroft in a bar in Perth.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/11/26/21/03/england-probe-bairstow-bancroft-clash

Nothing in it.

The press just trying to make it into something.

Banners has everyone in stitches.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cricket/the-transcript-of-cameron-bancrofts-unforgettable-ashes-press-conference/ar-BBFLT74?li=AAavLaF&ocid=spartandhp

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Nothing in it.

The press just trying to make it into something.

Banners has everyone in stitches.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cricket/the-transcript-of-cameron-bancrofts-unforgettable-ashes-press-conference/ar-BBFLT74?li=AAavLaF&ocid=spartandhp

Saw the interview on the ABC. Steve Smith couldn't stop laughing.

Saw the interview on the ABC. Steve Smith couldn't stop laughing.

It was a brilliant interview. Hats off to Bancroft. He wasn’t trying to make anything out of it, and Smiths reaction was hilarious. 

Bairstow seemed really embarrassed in his interview. 

It’s  just given more

ammunition to the Australians and they are just heaps better at the mind games and sledging. 

England win toss and elect to bowl.

After a rain delayed start, Australia are 138/2 at dinner; Khawaja, dropped on 44, 53 n.o., Warner 47.

Smith, 25 n.o., who hardly played a false stroke at Brisbane, seems out of sorts; playing and missing many times. 

England slightly on top, and the next session is key, imho; whoever wins that will have a huge advantage. 

But it's raining again!

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

the next session is key, imho; whoever wins that will have a huge advantage. 

209/4 at the close.

England needed another two or three wickets, so advantage Australia.

England debutant Overton got the prize wicket of Smith, 40; bowled via bat then pad onto the stumps. The number one batsman in the world; what a scalp for your first wicket in test cricket!

Close of play 209-4,I would put it as Australiers  day  Jo Root's decision to  bowl did not work ,but I would have thought  the damp conditions would have helped this morning,bbc have been saying, most of the day, the bowlers, did not deliver /perform , I would say  the Australian  bowlers  will do better on this pitch .

But they got the wicket of  Smith ,he never realy got in  this time 

If England can get 2-3  wickets by lunch tomorrow  .it will even the game up.

Tea , 409-7, Oh well, they is always Perth, if Jo Root's leg is better ,where he has been kicking himself ,for winning the toss, and putting  Australia in to bat .

Good innings by  Marsh , just hope England ,can bat well this evening ,or will it be Brisbane again.

Australia 442/8 declared; Marsh 126 n.o., Paine 57.

28 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

An innings defeat beckons. 

I'm not that pessimistic; but unless something extraordinary happens I do think a draw is the best England can hope for.

BTW, to me both Root and Smith look as if they should be captaining their school, not their country! Am I getting old?

I'm not that pessimistic; but unless something extraordinary happens I do think a draw is the best England can hope for.

BTW, to me both Root and Smith look as if they should be captaining their school, not their country! Am I getting old?

Considering it was supposed to be the venue for our best chance of winning, it has so far been pitiful.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

55 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Some of  Root's decisions,as  a captine ,have been questionable, I can see in the not too distant future,the uk press calling for his head , pity he is trying ,but your first over seas tour as captin an Ashes series, not at all eas

Win the toss, bat first; right?

Well, Root didn't!

On the face of it, it seemed the right decision at the time. The conditions, clammy, overcast, drizzly, favoured England's attack. But they didn't perform up to standard and often bowled too short.

At the close yesterday, the game was still in the balance; but Marsh's 125 n.o., ably assisted by Handscomb (36)  Paine ( 57) and Cummins (44) seems to have taken the game away from England as Smith declared on 442/8.

In reply, England were 29/1 (Cook 11 n.o., Stoneman 18) when rain saved them from further embarrassment.

Tomorrow England have to do the same as Australia; one man make a hundred while  two or three others stay with him and get into the 40s and fifties.

I agree with Bayliss.

Ashes 2017/18: Trevor Bayliss unhappy with sledging from both Australia and England.

England coach Trevor Bayliss believes there is too much sledging from both sides after another day where tensions simmered between the Ashes rivals.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cricket/ashes-2017-18-trevor-bayliss-unhappy-with-sledging-from-both-australia-and-england/ar-BBG5VI6?li=AA54yd&ocid=spartandhp

23 minutes ago, kickstart said:

England  92-4 .Will  Smith enforce the follow-on, or  will he do-a   Michale  Clarke , and bat for a few hours ,and declare.

5/119.

Still a bit early to start thinking about declarations I think.

Australia 53-4, Smith I think, has done a Root ,made the wrong decision  and  not enforced the follow , some very good bowling from England, ball moving all  over the  place.

But,a big but ,if Australia only get 150 ,England  will still need 365 to ,with about day and a half to do it in ,but Australia will have a day and a half to bowl.

No comment on the time wasting by  Lyon.

Close , England  176-4, I would put it as  Englands day .

Without the commentator's curse, England have a slim chance ,Root has to bat ,not so much good ,as  sensible  .

But,the ball that got Malan , was  a good'un, do not want many  more of them ,Cummins is a good bowler .

Will be an intresting  days cricket tomorrow.

it's a tough ask and Australia still good favourites, but our Batsmen owe our Bowlers a performance.

If you break it down it's less than 2 an over , both Bairstow and Moeen can bat and both score quickly which will put pressure on their Bowlers, but Root will have to carry his bat i think.

Yeah i know, wishfull thinking...be all over after the first session,

2 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

it's a tough ask and Australia still good favourites, but our Batsmen owe our Bowlers a performance.

If you break it down it's less than 2 an over , both Bairstow and Moeen can bat and both score quickly which will put pressure on their Bowlers, but Root will have to carry his bat i think.

Yeah i know, wishfull thinking...be all over after the first session,

It's a big ask, the Aussie bowlers are bowling well, but will watch with great interest and best of luck to England.

England have survived the most difficult part; the fourth evening session. Better to have been three down at the close, but it was a superb ball from Cummins that did for Malan and four down is not a disaster.

I suspect that Smith's plan in not enforcing the follow on was to declare and have a go at England with the new ball under the lights; but thanks to a magnificent effort from Anderson (5 for 43, his first 5for in Australia) and Woakes (4 for 36) ably supported by the others, that didn't happen.

If England can get through the first session tomorrow without losing a wicket, or only losing night watchman Woakes, then they will have two set batsman when the new ball arrives and a good chance of pulling off an unlikely, and record breaking, victory.

But they must be patient; there is no rush; play the old fashioned way which means only play balls you have to until an easy one to score from comes along. 

Australia are still favourites, but England have got to be worth a punt.

Either way, it will be an enthralling day of cricket.

Bangkokhatter was right all over in the first session, last 7 wickets go for 64 runs, where Have I read that before.

What can England do before Perth? 

If you win the toss, bat.

Get the bowlers to bowl a proper length 

Batsman do not play, good playable balls  , and get them selfs out.

Must have read this a dozen times,  England have not won at Perth since  1978, most commentators say it is a quick wicket , there is always  Melbourne.

Archived