Thai kids chewing with mouth open

Nemises

3 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

Thank you sir. 

You have just proved my point to a pin

You are welcome

If you are not teaching your Children how to behave civilly, then you are doing them a disservice

They are NOT your best friend, as some Thai Parents seem to think

They have friends their own age .

You are the older wiser Adult, who needs to teach Children right from wrong

This is nothing to do with being Thai or Felang

Its about whether you are a responsible Adult and Parent or not

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

All of you and I am included in this are suffering from Misophonia, a disorder which means sufferers have a hatred of sounds such as eating, chewing, loud breathing or even repeated pen-clicking, was first named as a condition in 2001. Those of us with misophonia have a difference in our brain’s frontal lobe to non-sufferers.

Ironically, we have the problem ............... not them.

Add walking along the street and scraping your shoes along the floor, to that list as well

8 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

"The sounds are obviously unbearable but fortunately the school is close-by, so my suffering lasts only about 4-5 minutes." :saai: 

the dude or dudette needs to get out more ....sorry about gender ? , but real men could not care less if not their  child .

Edited by mikiea

1 hour ago, Black arab said:

I get the same from my 8yr old stepdaughter, i have explained its impolite to chomp chomp and shake my head.

Wife and daughter look at me quizically and then just giggle.Falang ba.

"This Thailand, things not work same here"

It's a cultural thing. Also partly due to the spicy food. In the south where food is spicier a lot more people eat with their mouth open.

in our household we try to respect each other's cultural quirks. The Thais try to keep their mouth shut when eating when I'm around, and I try not to point my feet at them or walk in the house with shoes on.

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

As you are the Adult, you need to inform the Children that is impolite to eat with their mouths open

Can't escape the idea it will be quite hopeless to "inform" the children that chomping food with open mouth is impolite.

Adults do the same, at home and in restaurants.

Quite awful, it takes my pleasure in the food on the table away.

9 hours ago, Gregster said:

I ask because I often drive the GF’s daughter & nephews to & from school and sometimes after school they hop into my car eating snack bars & ice creams etc. On these occasions ALL of the kids will chomp away with their mouths WIDE OPEN, all making cringeworthy, disgusting sounds.

Why dont you just give them an ultimatum of "dont eat, dont move, dont talk" whilst they are in your car? If they dont fancy that, throw them out and let them walk.

33 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do know what is better .

There is no doubt about that .

It is rude an bad manners to eat with your mouth open

Children do now know that is rude and bad manners 

Its the adults job to tell them 

No need to bring "Thai"or "felang" into this

This is nothing to do about where anyone comes from

Its adults teaching Children how to behave

Gotta disagree with ya on this one sanemax ole buddy. Many years ago when I lived in Mae Hon Song ( Mae Hong Son ) I visited many many villages in the north and north east. And in many cases the whole durned village ate with their mouths open. Some of the villages were Thai, and some were Hill Tribe. My friend, who was born in MHS, and has been in the Thai Border Police for about thirty years has a wife who is SHAN. She comes from a fair sized village about 26 kms outside Pai. Many times when I visited her village, we would haul outta bed in the morning, get cleaned up, head out to the back "yard" and pick leaves, berries, fruit...STUFF from her parents trees, and everyone would sit around...usually in a circle..sort of, and enjoy breakfast. Until I got used to the idea it was a sight to behold. Usually someone, a neighbour or relative from a coupla houses away would show up with a large bowl of soup, and sometimes some eggs. Soooo, anywhere from ten to twenty five people would be sitting around glomming down food, ALL OF THEM with their mouths open, me excluded. There would be a hulluva lot of noise going on for sure. I found it quite fascinating actually. I could never  figure out how they could eat, talk and laugh at the same time without losing at least SOME of their food. Mind you, there was the occasional "slurrrp" as a bit of food that was about to escape was retrieved. I tried eating this way myself ( when I was alone ) The best solution I came up with was to keep yer tongue pressed up against the upper front teeth, and chew yer food on both sides of the mouth, with lips open. I don't think I ever became a true open mouthed chomper, but I sorta "passed." By the way, my friend eats with his lips closed, his wife eats...mouth wide open. Watching her eat reminded me of one a them really old cement mixers....food just churning big time. They have two kids, teenagers. Both eat with mouths open. My friend and his wife have both been to several countries. She attended college in Chiang mai, and has a respectable in a bank in MHS. So I'm not sure about this low class/high class thinggy.

They are probably hoping for some extra protein by encouraging fly's into their mouths, all I can really suggest is to turn up the Radio/CD/Tape so that you can't hear them and move the rear view mirror so that you can't see them, problem solved :thumbsup:

But yes it is a disgusting habit and needs to be stamped out :unsure: 

8 hours ago, trianglechoke said:

T.S, (Thread starter, not transsexual), it's disgusting because your culture conditions you into disliking it. If you had never been told it was gross and you were from a country that raises kids like shit.... well... u know

OP (Original Poster) not TS.

Kids need to taught simple manners by adults,

Culture is different. Burping is a compliment in some places, but I'm not aware of a place eating with an open mouth is anything other than ignorant for a human.

14 hours ago, i claudius said:

Its not cultural its the way you are brought up and if your low class .sorry but its the same all over the world

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Low class by whose standards? My gf is a Bangkok girl from a very well to do family with money, far from low class by any means. She eats that loudly at times that I can hear her from the next room over the sound of the television!

As I was brought up, like most westerners, that eating in this manner is extremely impolite I eventually politely broached the subject with her. In short her answer was ‘it shows I’m enjoying my food!’. I asked her if her parents ever told her to quieten down or close her mouth and she said that they didn’t care just as long as she was eating and happy.

I just returned from meeting her parents and we shared quite a few meals together and, I guess to no surprise, her parents ate identically. Not quite reaching the decibel levels she manages but open mouths and noisy all the same.

I mentioned to her that in my culture it’s is considered quite rude and can actually be off putting but in the spirit of fairness I told her it’s ok as long as it doesn’t get out of hand.

As she eats and ‘enjoys’ her food more her sound levels increase. I just politely ask her to quieten it down a little and she happily compiles. I have slowly learned to tune most of the noise out now and with that the annoyance it presents.

Besides, I fart and burp and I’m sure there’s a few other things I do that are not considered polite or could be seen as annoying and she never complains or pulls me up. I see at ist compromising and adjusting to our cultural differences. Just because I find it annoying or off putting doesn’t mean I can enforce personality changes on her and demand she changes 25 years of habit.

Low class by whose standards? My gf is a Bangkok girl from a very well to do family with money, far from low class by any means. She eats that loudly at times that I can hear her from the next room over the sound of the television!
As I was brought up, like most westerners, that eating in this manner is extremely impolite I eventually politely broached the subject with her. In short her answer was ‘it shows I’m enjoying my food!’. I asked her if her parents ever told her to quieten down or close her mouth and she said that they didn’t care just as long as she was eating and happy.
I just returned from meeting her parents and we shared quite a few meals together and, I guess to no surprise, her parents ate identically. Not quite reaching the decibel levels she manages but open mouths and noisy all the same.
I mentioned to her that in my culture it’s is considered quite rude and can actually be off putting but in the spirit of fairness I told her it’s ok as long as it doesn’t get out of hand.
As she eats and ‘enjoys’ her food more her sound levels increase. I just politely ask her to quieten it down a little and she happily compiles. I have slowly learned to tune most of the noise out now and with that the annoyance it presents.
Besides, I fart and burp and I’m sure there’s a few other things I do that are not considered polite or could be seen as annoying and she never complains or pulls me up. I see at ist compromising and adjusting to our cultural differences. Just because I find it annoying or off putting doesn’t mean I can enforce personality changes on her and demand she changes 25 years of habit.

Many thanks for sharing your experiences.

I always had a feeling it may have something to do with Thai culture (as mentioned in my OP) and you and some others have comprehensively confirmed that.

Armed with this knowledge, I will now also politely broach the subject with the GF. I know she will understand our cultural differences and explain this to her daughter & nephews so as to stop the noise when eating in my car.

Problem now solved! Sincere thanks again for all who assisted.

10 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Actually, I have found that most Thais go to the opposite extreme of covering their mouth if using a toothpick and trying not to show you the inside of their mouth... of course, bad manners happens here too... 

Yup, right before they start picking their nose.

11 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Actually, I have found that most Thais go to the opposite extreme of covering their mouth if using a toothpick and trying not to show you the inside of their mouth... of course, bad manners happens here too... 

I find it quite amazing that almost all of those Thais who eat with their mouths open, will later cover their mouth with their hand when using a toothpick to clean their teeth!  I was trying to figure out the logic in this but failed. Amazing Thailand.

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

Yup, right before they start picking their nose.

1 hour ago, joebrown said:

I find it quite amazing that almost all of those Thais who eat with their mouths open, will later cover their mouth with their hand when using a toothpick to clean their teeth!  I was trying to figure out the logic in this but failed. Amazing Thailand.

look, I come from a country where people spit on the sidewalk, and dogs crap on the street and walkways, and people walk through and over this stuff in shoes and then come home and walk inside their homes with these same shoes on... and often on very absorbent carpeting too... in addition, they also pick their nose and chew with their mouths open... just sayin... 

21 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Chewing with open mouth is indicative for the fine education and table manners the kiddies enjoyed so far and trust me, the Farang's advice is neither requested nor appreciated. 

Are you being sarcastic or serious ?

You seem to be being sarcastic in the first sentence and serious in the last sentence .

I am trying to go figure .

8 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

look, I come from a country where people spit on the sidewalk, and dogs crap on the street and walkways, and people walk through and over this stuff in shoes and then come home and walk inside their homes with these same shoes on... and often on very absorbent carpeting too... in addition, they also pick their nose and chew with their mouths open... just sayin... 

Although you really should be "just sayin" that in a different thread, because what happens in your Country is nothing to do with this topic (and I really have no need to read about people treading on dogshit and walking into houses with absorbent carpeting )

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although you really should be "just sayin" that in a different thread, because what happens in your Country is nothing to do with this topic (and I really have no need to read about people treading on dogshit and walking into houses with absorbent carpeting )

And I would say that the topic of manners has been raised and I am responding to others who quoted me - but your post has nothing at all to do with anything other than to be spiky and try to rag on me... 

Just now, kenk24 said:

And I would say that the topic of manners has been raised and I am responding to others who quoted me - but your post has nothing at all to do with anything other than to be spiky and try to rag on me... 

This is the topic about Thai (kids) eating with their mouth open , nothing to do with people treading in dogshit and walking into their house in your own Country .

I am not trying to be spiky or to rag you , I just dont want to read about people treading in dogshit and walking on carpets in where ever you live

50 minutes ago, sanemax said:

This is the topic about Thai (kids) eating with their mouth open , nothing to do with people treading in dogshit and walking into their house in your own Country .

I am not trying to be spiky or to rag you , I just dont want to read about people treading in dogshit and walking on carpets in where ever you live

people don't usually stay in a 2 word framework on TVF - nor do you - I have read your other posts here, sometimes you are spot on, other times you are just looking for a confrontation... I guess it is my turn - again... have your fun. 

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

people don't usually stay in a 2 word framework on TVF - nor do you - I have read your other posts here, sometimes you are spot on, other times you are just looking for a confrontation... I guess it is my turn - again... have your fun. 

You do seem rather self obsessed , like every things about you .

I am not looking to argue with YOU , I am not trying to rag YOU , I am not trying to spike YOU , I am not looking to confront YOU and it isnt YOUR turn .

I simply feel that people treading in dog shit in YOUR Country is just off topic in a thread about Thai kids eating with their mouths open.

And your attacks and pointing out to me what you think is off topic is on topic? You are further off topic than I was, the thread related to manners and habits and disgusting behavior - all you did was try and put in some line that you created... but you are always right... and people should only post things on TVF that you approve. Good luck with that. 

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

And your attacks and pointing out to me what you think is off topic is on topic? You are further off topic than I was, the thread related to manners and habits and disgusting behavior - all you did was try and put in some line that you created... but you are always right... and people should only post things on TVF that you approve. Good luck with that. 

No this thread isnt about manners, habits and disgusting behavior , this thread is about Thai kids eating with their mouth open , this isnt a general thread about peoples bad habits in other countries