Panigale V4

B1ade

Hey all, new Panigale V4 officially released, one of the first decent release videos below.

Do any of you reckon this will be produced in Thailand or import only? Ducati Phuket seem to think import only and not here until 2019, but they have been wrong before on a few new models. Historically anything released since the Thai factory has been produced here and sold at a decent price (except some of the "S" models), so heres hoping the V4 will follow that pattern as this looks awesome

Edited by B1ade
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Prices announced. V4 base model is 949,000 and V4 S is 1,149,000.

949k is pretty good for the base model, I was expecting a lot more than that given the 1299 prices. Look forward to reading/watching some reviews. Might go to the motor expo at Impact Arena this weekend and have a look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

950k THB for the base model is about 10% more than in Europe where it costs 22.6k EUR. I think that means it will be built here? Would be too cheap for an import.

Maybe they'll even have test rides? Would love to try one out.

Not too interested in buying one as it's a bit overkill for my needs and I don't do track days (no track nearby). Plus an all-new Ducati in its first year... :)

A 959-like V4 though...

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

950k THB for the base model is about 10% more than in Europe where it costs 22.6k EUR. I think that means it will be built here? Would be too cheap for an import.

Maybe they'll even have test rides? Would love to try one out.

Not too interested in buying one as it's a bit overkill for my needs and I don't do track days (no track nearby). Plus an all-new Ducati in its first year... :)

A 959-like V4 though...

I can't imagine they'd allow a brand new flagship model which is also a brand new engine configuration to be built in Thailand. I guess they could assemble it here (maybe crate a complete engine over) but I think even then they'd need a certain percentage of the parts to be manufactured here as well to get the tax break, can't remember the exact details.

I think a lot of Ducati sports bikes are "only" 10% more than Europe. Remember, European prices are already inflated compared to the US prices so with the strong Baht I reckon they could sell an Italian made Ducati for 10% more than a Euro price. My 899 was pretty much the same price here as the UK when I bought it (before the pound tanked) and that wasn't manufactured here. 

I'm not super serious about buying one either, partly because it's a first year brand new design but also because in my experience Ducati's only really "work" properly when you're riding them reasonably hard (maybe the V4 will be different in that regard to the L twins but I doubt it). I can't imagine being able to ride an 1100cc V4 very hard much of the time in Thailand. Be fun to have a look though :)

If it's anything like the Aprilia Tuono V4, then it's quite a bit happier at low speeds. At least that was my impression when I tried it a few months ago. It was really pretty good around town considering it's a bike that's ment to be ridden fast. But yea you can still feel that it's happier once you open the throttle a bit more :)

Regarding the import question: I think you might be right but it wont be a full import, that would make it close to double the price. I'd guess it will be a CKD import. It's roughly 38% over the US price and that matches what I had to pay in import taxes when ordering motorcycle parts (30% import duty, 7% vat).

15 hours ago, eisfeld said:

If it's anything like the Aprilia Tuono V4, then it's quite a bit happier at low speeds. At least that was my impression when I tried it a few months ago. It was really pretty good around town considering it's a bike that's ment to be ridden fast. But yea you can still feel that it's happier once you open the throttle a bit more :)

Regarding the import question: I think you might be right but it wont be a full import, that would make it close to double the price. I'd guess it will be a CKD import. It's roughly 38% over the US price and that matches what I had to pay in import taxes when ordering motorcycle parts (30% import duty, 7% vat).

I think you're right about the CKD, makes sense and the prices add up. Yeah the V4 is a bit smoother down low than the L twin from what I read although whether this V4 Panigale is as refined in it's first year as an Aprilia is after years of incremental improvements remains to be seen.

I'll probably wait for the 2019 S1000RR anyway. I've got a feeling that might be the bike that moves things up another notch (like the first gen did when it was released) and I quite fancy a move back to an inline 4.

950k! Thats awesome, thats bang on what I was hoping for although I was expecting 1299 price so it must be being assembled here - which I believe is the case for all their recent models, ie not manufactured, but CKD import like you guys say above. This one is on the shopping list!

• Like 1

On 12/5/2017 at 12:40 PM, B1ade said:

950k! Thats awesome, thats bang on what I was hoping for although I was expecting 1299 price so it must be being assembled here - which I believe is the case for all their recent models, ie not manufactured, but CKD import like you guys say above. This one is on the shopping list!

Be sure to give us a detailed review when you get it!

Hope Ducati Phuket have sorted out their service issues now though...

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I haven't had the chance to test this so far (yay) but they now have a completely new (nice) showroom and a lot of new staff. I believe the owner is now putting a lot of effort into improvements. Hope dies last :)

On 12/7/2017 at 9:06 AM, JonnyF said:

Be sure to give us a detailed review when you get it!

They have a senior mechanic in there now who knows his stuff, I request him for any work always now. I had full service including timing belt done by a junior last year before a trip to Kuala Lumpur, was a nightmare, bike ran horribly but they never told me they had no seniors... I had to get it sorted out by Ducati in Kuala Lumpur (what a setup that is... if you are there its worth a visit), so for now, all is ok in Phuket and the new showroom / workshop is far better than before

• Like 1

Quick update. Ordered the v4, but the price had gone up... 949k was only available during the Bangkok motor show, offer expired on the 11th December... i ordered on the 13th and they wouldn't budge on the price, now the price is 969k for the base model, they also said the price will go up again in January but not sure if that was a sales tactic!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, B1ade said:

Quick update. Ordered the v4, but the price had gone up... 949k was only available during the Bangkok motor show, offer expired on the 11th December... i ordered on the 13th and they wouldn't budge on the price, now the price is 969k for the base model, they also said the price will go up again in January but not sure if that was a sales tactic!

Awesome. What’s the estimated delivery date?

On 12/16/2017 at 12:33 PM, JonnyF said:

Awesome. What’s the estimated delivery date?

They have estimated July, long way away, they expect them to start arriving in May, I am a bit down the queue, still that gives me time to save for an overpriced exhaust system!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2018 at 10:21 PM, eisfeld said:

B1ade: did you get your bike yet? I saw they have a V4 in the showroom now.

Hey sorry for delay in replying, just seen it. That one there is mine! I have been trying to sell my 848 for about 2 months, i need to sell that first, on the brink of dropping the price as I need to go pick it up asap!

Hehe good luck! Hope you can take posession of your new baby soon. BTW I wouldn't want my bike to be used as the showroom model with people test-sitting on it etc. Or do you get a discount for that?

Oh and I wonder if they offer test rides for the V4, my guess is no.

Edited by eisfeld

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There have been 5 recalls so far in roughly one year. 2 for oil leaks, 2 for fuel leaks/splashes (search on Youtube for 650ib and you will see how it looks when the tank starts spitting fuel in your face while riding at speed on the highway) and one for the rear brake pad coming loose. https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/DUCATI/PANIGALE%2520V4#recalls

Kinda reinforces my feeling that Ducati while building amazing machines, seems to rush products to market. A lot of similar recalls for other Ducati models over the years.

Oh and the V4 has no fuel gauge for what it's worth.