Moyes named West Ham manager following Bilic exit

snoop1130

Moyes named West Ham manager following Bilic exit

2017-11-07T085016Z_1_LYNXMPEDA60ND_RTROPTP_4_SOCCER-ENGLAND-PNE-AVA.JPG

(Reuters) - West Ham United have appointed David Moyes as their manager following the sacking of Slaven Bilic, the Premier League club said on Tuesday.

Croatian Bilic was sacked on Monday following a meeting with club officials as West Ham dropped into the relegation zone after a 4-1 home defeat by Liverpool left them with two wins in 11 league games.

"It's a big job we have in hand now but I'm sure with everybody together we can get the right results between now and the end of the season," Moyes said in a video posted on West Ham's Twitter account.

Joint Chairman David Sullivan said the club would benefit from Moyes' experience in the Premier League.

"We need somebody with experience, knowledge of the Premier League and the players in it, and we believe David is the right man to turn things around and get the best out of the players at the club," Sullivan said in a statement.

"He is highly regarded and respected within the game, and will bring fresh ideas, organisation and enthusiasm."

Moyes coached Sunderland last season but stepped down following the club's relegation to the Championship.

The former Everton manager's stock has fallen considerably in recent years, following an unsuccessful spell at Spanish side Real Sociedad and an ill-fated stint as Alex Ferguson's successor at Manchester United in 2013-14.

(Reporting by Aditi Prakash in Bengaluru; editing by Amlan Chakraborty/Peter Rutherford)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-7

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh dear...In his defense what were ManU thinking when they allowed him to replace a load of the coaching staff and bring his ¨own people ¨ in,He was doomed from that moment breaking up a winning team like that,Fergie and the owners and board were at fault.He never had the dressing room at Sunderland but nobody ever has it, it was and is a toxic place feel sorry for the fans[not really] cant really see him getting to grip with the squad at WH though, need a Marine PT instructor to kick that lot into shape and fitness.

Yes huge mistake Moyes made at OT in getting rid of the experienced backroom staff Fergie had left behind....he did an excellent job at Everton and probably in hindsight he never should have left.......I wish him well,decent honest guy :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

A couple of alright seasons at Everton 10 years ago, the rest is bang average at best.

Off to the championship for my money.  

it's a mental appointment. he's clearly not an improvement on bilic and will do that hodgsonesque thing of managing expectations down from the first press conference. hammers fans don't seem at all happy about it and i don't blame them.

8 minutes ago, StevieH said:

it's a mental appointment. he's clearly not an improvement on bilic and will do that hodgsonesque thing of managing expectations down from the first press conference. hammers fans don't seem at all happy about it and i don't blame them.

Spot on.

Moyes is a serial failure and I don’t see that changing at West Ham. If I was a Hammers fan I would be pretty despondent right now.

If there is not an immediate improvement I can see Moyes coming under pressure from the fans within half a dozen games.

The fans are already very unhappy about this.

The cheap option as they did not have to pay compo for a man already in a job.

Coupled with the disastrous move to the new "stadium" the fans are out for blood.

The Dildo twins are not on many Christmas card lists.

Edited by Phuket Man

7 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Moyes will get defoe in come January and defoe will bolt for a chance at showcasing himself for England.  Defoe will score plenty and moyes will sink the ship. Worst appointment ever. This is on Christian gross scale.

I was a season ticket holder back in those dark days.

Horrible football that was....worse than Brenda.

8 minutes ago, oldgit said:

A poor appointment, typified by the 'faith' Sullivan and Gold have in him with the 6 month contract.  If I was a West Ham player, I would view this 'stop gap' solution as underwhelming.

Agree.

They had to make a change, but Moyes is a poor choice.

3 minutes ago, carmine said:

Eddie Howes would have been a brace choice but i believe a good one.  Moyes will not be the answer.

i don't know what a 'good' choice is for west ham. they're a pretty toxic club with genuinely horrible owners and a white elephant of a stadium they didn't want or really need.

Difficult to see where they will pick up many points from the next 5 games

Sunday 19th November 2017

Watford V West Ham United

Friday 24th November 2017

West Ham United V Leicester City

Wednesday 29th November 2017

Everton V West Ham United

Sunday 3rd December 2017

Manchester City V West Ham United

Saturday 9th December

West Ham United V Chelsea

Wednesday 13th December

West Ham United V Arsenal

7 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Sunday 3rd December 2017

Saturday 9th December

Wednesday 13th December

If West Ham had a decent manager I'd give them half a chance in those first three fixtures. Word out of West Ham is that many of the players aren't fit, much less in form. Drill Sergeant Moyes to the rescue.

He's on a hiding to nothing. The fans don't want him and they are brutal when  he is not their choice as Allardyce will testify towards the end of his reign. 

He is already making noises about not leaking goals so I guess he will work on a few 0-0's to steady the ship. 

As a couple of ex players have already said, seeing him coming in wouldn't be inspiring. 

My guess is he will pick a few points and see them avoid relegation but it will be uninspiring stuff and they will look for a replacement end of season. 

I think the owners see it as a cheap option during the season while they sort out a longer term appointment. 

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

He's on a hiding to nothing. The fans don't want him and they are brutal when  he is not their choice as Allardyce will testify towards the end of his reign. 

He is already making noises about not leaking goals so I guess he will work on a few 0-0's to steady the ship. 

As a couple of ex players have already said, seeing him coming in wouldn't be inspiring. 

My guess is he will pick a few points and see them avoid relegation but it will be uninspiring stuff and they will look for a replacement end of season. 

I think the owners see it as a cheap option during the season while they sort out a longer term appointment. 

Yes i think you've pretty much summed it up.  And Moyes clearly wants to get himself back in the shop window otherwise why accept a six month contract for what is a fairly duff position

5 minutes ago, carmine said:

Yes i think you've pretty much summed it up.  And Moyes clearly wants to get himself back in the shop window otherwise why accept a six month contract for what is a fairly duff position

More masochistic behavior from Moyes. He's essentially admitting he's damaged goods by accepting a six month contract.

1 minute ago, carmine said:

I'm sure he bit their hands off. His stock is as low as it goes. I thought the Sunderland job was about his mark and a way of proving himself again but that flopped for whatever reason. 

What I don't like and the fans will have already noted is how he is now saying that he made a mistake taking the Sunderland job, when he was spouting the same stuff then, about having a point to prove etc, as he is now. 

The fans were easy on Bilic even towards the end because he was liked for a variety of reasons. Moyes won't be afforded the same luxury I fear. 

18 minutes ago, jellydog said:

If West Ham had a decent manager I'd give them half a chance in those first three fixtures. Word out of West Ham is that many of the players aren't fit, much less in form. Drill Sergeant Moyes to the rescue.

I have only see them on the telly but they play like they have been clubbing the night before,can't run,can't dribble( the ball),can't head it,can't shoot.

23 hours ago, StevieH said:

i don't know what a 'good' choice is for west ham. they're a pretty toxic club with genuinely horrible owners and a white elephant of a stadium they didn't want or really need.

That's right who in their right mind give up a decent gig to go to West ham? 

5 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Sunday 3rd December 2017

Saturday 9th December

Wednesday 13th December

I'm not one to be pedantic but that's six games....or did ya mean the Everton match is an easy win? :partytime2: