Heineken introduces Strongbow apple cider from the UK

webfact

5 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Available in Thailand?             No doubt it's a real Paarl of a cider.

Savanna is available in Tops and many liquor stores (I even found it in a bar in Chumphon). It's 67 Baht for a bottle and well worth it on a hot day. But for multiple neckings, I like Thatchers ("Like" in the way everyone likes a squat toilet at the petrol station that actually has a spray nozzle instead of a shit laden floor with a trough and scoop - its better than the rest at that point in life :wink:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's weird...  The OP article talks about a price of 59b per bottle, though they don't mentioned what size. Maybe the standard 320/330 ML size used locally.

That's under the cheapest imported ciders I've seen here, which seem to start at about 99b per 500 ML bottle or can. Which would seem to suggest it's going to be brewed locally like Heineken.

Except, the OP article talks about using apples from England, and AFAIK, Thailand doesn't seem to have any apple crop of its own.

So I wonder, just what's up with this?

Imported apples are so relatively cheap that native crops cannot really compete.
There have been experiments in the higher altitude areas of Northern Thailand which were successful re: fruit set with certain cultivars, but not commercially viable.
If the cider production will be domestic, and it sounds so given the sweetness aspect, then perhaps domestic apple cultivation will have another go.

3 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

Imported apples are so relatively cheap that native crops cannot really compete.
There have been experiments in the higher altitude areas of Northern Thailand which were successful re: fruit set with certain cultivars, but not commercially viable.
If the cider production will be domestic, and it sounds so given the sweetness aspect, then perhaps domestic apple cultivation will have another go.

Imported apples are epensive, i never been in a country with higher apple prices, apple can´t grow in Thailand same like Cherrys, we selling Savanna cider and its about the same price, but they do huge promotions like buy 4 cartons and get 1 free so price is about 45 thb, even one time it was buy 1 and get 1 free, with 60 thb wholesale many places wont take them in their menu

4 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

Back in the seventies, you wouldn't believe what us GI's could get for good Macintosh Apples, you just couldn't get Apples here...........

All this talk of apples seems to be assuming any old apple will do. It won't. Cider is made from cider apples (no surprises there) which are far bigger than eating apples and produce lots of juice. All the best cider apples are grown in Somerset which is the home of Cider. 

All the apples sold around here (the frozen north - Chiang Rai) outside of the supermarkets, come down the river from China to Chiang Saeng. Whilst they are nice enough to eat, I don't know what they would be like for making cider.

The title is a bit disingenuous- it's NOT from the UK.  Its being put together locally, watered down and with added sugar- more like fizzy pop that real Strongbow.

47 minutes ago, the guest said:

Bring back Carlsberg.

They tried that a couple of years back- it flopped.

19 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Back in the seventies, you wouldn't believe what us GI's could get for good Macintosh Apples, you just couldn't get Apples here...........

Yes, it was a relatively recent Royal Project experiment that proved apple's were not worth growing at the time.

They will grow, but not of great quality. Requires training of the Hill people in excess of other crops that yield a more immediate profit, as well as expensive irrigation in the dry seasons.

Despite another opinion expressed  imported apple's are relatively cheap. I regularly buy good quality eating apples for five or ten baht each at my local fresh market. Two years ago similar were going for equivalent thirty baht at the local IGA in AZ.

As several folks have remarked juice concentrate would ship economically.

I will try one, but doubt it will be a regular. I like a dry crisp flavour in hard cider.

On Thursday, November 09, 2017 at 9:11 PM, JAG said:

"The premium cider brand’s target audiences are Thai millennials between 20 and 35."

As opposed to slightly (?) more mature West Country expatriates who like the occasional glass of Somerset?

I do miss the stuff, but I have never got round to investigating it up here (Chiang Rai).  I am fired with enthusiasm and will have to have a look around. I will dig out my Wurzels CD as well....

Proper Job!

Indeed my 'ansom.

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

Indeed my 'ansom.

We need to be careful, else some northerner (from up near Gloucester likely) will be on here soon, ticking like a NAAFI alarm clock about it being an English language forum...

Its has been here for a good while. many many months. Too sweet and too fizzy. and in red for shelf eye popping.

I used to stay in Yate nearish Bristol for a couple of years many moons ago.This type of cider would be outlawed.

We used to go to a farmer for like 4 gallons in a plastic jug. He swore (often) saying a pigs leg was added to refine the taste.

A bit off topic, but i first saw Andy Cole plying his trade down there.

7 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

Yes, it was a relatively recent Royal Project experiment that proved apple's were not worth growing at the time.

They will grow, but not of great quality. Requires training of the Hill people in excess of other crops that yield a more immediate profit, as well as expensive irrigation in the dry seasons.

Despite another opinion expressed  imported apple's are relatively cheap. I regularly buy good quality eating apples for five or ten baht each at my local fresh market. Two years ago similar were going for equivalent thirty baht at the local IGA in AZ.

As several folks have remarked juice concentrate would ship economically.

I will try one, but doubt it will be a regular. I like a dry crisp flavour in hard cider.

The Apple Juice I get in 7/11 has no additives or sugars, had to get someione to read the label for me but very tasty.

Well, I'm pretty sure I spotted the product in question today at my local 7-11, two varieties of 330 ml bottles selling for 59b each. And, contrary to prior speculation, the product appears to be NEITHER made in Thailand nor imported from the UK, but rather, apparently imported from Singapore, based on the label.

If you notice at the top of the right-side bottle on the main photo, you'll see the blue Customs duty paper cover that definitely signals it's an import, not a locally brewed product. Much of the bottle label info is in Thai, except for the reference to 4.5% ABV, so I couldn't make out any ingredients list.

But in the second photo below, the first section of text on the rear bottle label referring to Singapore says it was produced there. The second section of text says it was imported by TAP Trading in Thailand.

I don't mind drinking Strongbow from the UK now and again, especially when it's hot outside. But I have a wary feeling like the product in these bottles is likely to be even sweeter than the UK version, if that's even possible!

PS - So I would say, the reference in the OP article to "from the U.K." appears to be true only in the broadest, vaguest sense of that's where Strongbow originated from....

2017-11-12a.thumb.jpg.5b46f1751821a1e5831b3ff050c6fc0c.jpg

2017-11-12b.jpg.b0541d8afeb2e3092f9111b4f97966cb.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 1 month later...

I tried the Strongbow Apple Cider last week and it was quite pleasant and thirst quenching. On the strength of that I had some Moose Cider home delivered with my weekly shopping, and this too was just as good as the Strongbow. It is 330ml but 5% and 49 baht.

On 11/11/2017 at 12:30 PM, champers said:

Strongbow is pop. Give me scrumpy, cloudy and all, and I'd be happy.

Strongbow is anything but strong. Perhaps it will take off with Thai millennials who want something new but mild but as champers says the real stuff is scrumpy.

Straight from the barrel, it's lethal after a few glasses. As dangerous as Thai whisky lao khao, both produce a dreadful dizziness, leaving the drinker helpless, spinning in his madness if drunk recklessly. 

I reckon shandy would really take off with the Thai middle class. An enjoyable flavour, it surely slips down like water, especially in the hot season coming soon.    

Just saw 'Moosh' 5% apple cider (52bht) in my local mom and pop store (or was it Moose?).

Might give it a go tomorrow.

Bit spoiled in the UK with all the craft ciders on sale in all the shops.

Pint of 'Rattler' for me!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

On 11/10/2017 at 12:52 PM, chickenrunCM said:

Imported apples are epensive, i never been in a country with higher apple prices,

I have, in China apples were 25bht each (5Y), which was a big surprise as my local Thai market sold the same apples imported from China at 10bht each.